Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 09:18 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,421,466 times

Advertisements

So in the past month or so, gas prices in Southern California have come down from their peak by 30-40 cents / gallon. But the price in Henderson has remained pretty much unchanged during that same time period.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 09:46 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,250,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
So in the past month or so, gas prices in Southern California have come down from their peak by 30-40 cents / gallon. But the price in Henderson has remained pretty much unchanged during that same time period.

Any thoughts?
As I follow gas prices, I knew this was not true. The average has fallen 20 cents, not 30-40 cents.

Historical Price Charts - Los Angeles Gas Prices

Henderson gas prices have dropped 6 cents.

Historical Price Charts - Las Vegas Gas Prices

Still, we are an average of 30 cents a gallon cheaper so be happy about it.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:04 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,250,314 times
[mod cut- references to deleted post]
I got gas on Wednesday and paid $3.97 for regular at the Chevron by my apartment.

Last edited by observer53; 04-27-2012 at 01:42 PM..

Old 04-27-2012, 11:22 AM

Location: Undisclosed location in the American desert Southwest
188 posts, read 482,801 times
4.15 for premium here is pretty standard

Old 04-27-2012, 12:51 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,998,833 times
Compressed natural gas is $2.59 in Las Vegas.

(Yes, I know at this point I'm rubbing people's noses in it. But I don't understand, why isn't everyone doing this?)

I pay $40 per month for gas -- driving a full-size, 300+ horsepower pickup truck. No SMOG check. So clean, that oil is good for 20K miles and plugs are good for 100K. The engine can be reasonably expected to last 400K miles.

Good to go in every HOV lane. And $2.59 gas. For the past two years, it's been $2.49 gas. But a few months ago, they raised the price by a dime.

I got sick of b*tching about gasoline and did something about it.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:14 PM

460 posts, read 988,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
But I don't understand, why isn't everyone doing this?
Sounds cheap, but it doesn't sound very convenient. Can I fill up at the corner 7-11? And if taking a cross country trip, wouldn't you have to plan your gas stops very carefully?

Old 04-27-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muonic View Post
Sounds cheap, but it doesn't sound very convenient. Can I fill up at the corner 7-11? And if taking a cross country trip, wouldn't you have to plan your gas stops very carefully?
We have my wife's 45mpg car for that sort of thing.

Yes, the ability to only fill up at six stations in LV isn't very convenient. I don't really care about convenience. Because at the end of the month, I've still only spent $30 total for gas. And there's a station very close to where I work. So it's no big deal to fill up every few weeks on the way home. And if more people had CNG vehicles, there would be more places to fill up. It's the chicken and the egg thing. But we can't rely on business to build infrastructure without a market. So I'm willing to suffer a little inconvenience to put my money where my mouth is.

I don't do this for the savings, though. With the except of a few countries, most of the places we import oil from hate our guts. I don't want to give them any of my money. CNG employs Americans. The money stays in America. And it isn't being used to purchase Semtex, ammo and missiles to be used against us and our troops.

I don't agree with fracking for CNG. Not at all. It's like environmental cancer. But I agree even less with what we do (and put up with) in the name of oil. There are safer ways to harvest CNG. I hope that we abandon fracking and go with more responsible methods. Even if it means the price goes up.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:12 PM

26 posts, read 57,893 times
Quote:
We have my wife's 45mpg car for that sort of thing.

Yes, the ability to only fill up at six stations in LV isn't very convenient. I don't really care about convenience. Because at the end of the month, I've still only spent $30 total for gas. And there's a station very close to where I work. So it's no big deal to fill up every few weeks on the way home. And if more people had CNG vehicles, there would be more places to fill up. It's the chicken and the egg thing. But we can't rely on business to build infrastructure without a market. So I'm willing to suffer a little inconvenience to put my money where my mouth is.

I don't do this for the savings, though. With the except of a few countries, most of the places we import oil from hate our guts. I don't want to give them any of my money. CNG employs Americans. The money stays in America. And it isn't being used to purchase Semtex, ammo and missiles to be used against us and our troops.

I don't agree with fracking for CNG. Not at all. It's like environmental cancer. But I agree even less with what we do (and put up with) in the name of oil. There are safer ways to harvest CNG. I hope that we abandon fracking and go with more responsible methods. Even if it means the price goes up.

I see there are some CNG Station around me in Las Vegas I was wondering can you put this in any car? Do I need to do anything special like get rid of fule that's in there already? How does it work? What do I need to know? Can I go and just fill up? n/m found a video on it.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
I see there are some CNG Station around me in Las Vegas I was wondering can you put this in any car? Do I need to do anything special like get rid of fule that's in there already? How does it work? What do I need to know? Can I go and just fill up?
No. It's basically like running your car on propane. It's best if the car was designed and built around a CNG fuel system. Although there are some "bolt-on" solutions, I wouldn't use any of them.

You have to buy a CNG vehicle. Then you fill up at CNG stations. There are "dual-fuel" vehicles that run on both CNG and gasoline. But mine is CNG only.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:26 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,715,185 times
Quote:
No. It's basically like running your car on propane. It's best if the car was designed and built around a CNG fuel system. Although there are some "bolt-on" solutions, I wouldn't use any of them.

You have to buy a CNG vehicle. Then you fill up at CNG stations. There are "dual-fuel" vehicles that run on both CNG and gasoline. But mine is CNG only.
Yes the best CNG car in the market is the Civic GX http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-s...tural-gas.aspx. Honda has been making this car for a long time. Very popular in California with people buying the car and installing a PHIL home filling station. I actually know someone who uses the system in Northern California. I've only seen a few here in Las Vegas running around. I've seen some CNG crown vics and f150s that are for fleet use. I think Dodge has a new RAM truck that will use both CNG and Gasoline

Difference really is that CNG is compressed natural gas and does not need to be refined unlike LPG or gasoline.

LPG is a mixture of propane and butane, used mainly as vehicle fuel, is commonly known as liquefied petroleum gas (LPG or LP gas). It may also contain small amounts of propylene and/or butylene. All commercial propane fuels include an odorant, almost always ethanethiol, so that people can easily smell the gas in case of a leak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas