Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 08:08 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,454,612 times

Advertisements

Cruise into yesteryear along scenic Route 66 - Living - ReviewJournal.com

Margo will be the guest speaker next week at a monthly luncheon I sometimes attend.

Another local author that wrote about desert trips in books such as Out From Las Vegas, Adventures a Day Away, and Mojave Desert Trails, might be a big help to you treasure hunters, is Florine Lawlor. Google her too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 08:23 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,054,819 times

Here's an area where I simply am not liberal. If Route 66 enthusiasts want to preserve that stretch of largely-abandoned highway, they can pay for it themselves.

Asking government to keep a road open that almost nobody uses -- for the nostalgia of baby boomers -- is a waste of tax dollars. Boomers should suck it up and realize that Martin Milner is dead. And so is Jack Kerouac and Route 66.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:47 PM

11,180 posts, read 16,083,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Boomers should suck it up and realize that Martin Milner is dead.
That would probably come as a shock to his wife. Not to mention himself.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:02 PM

What about the economic advantages it brings to depressed areas, and the jobs it would provide to people in those areas that were thoughtlessly left to die by Ike and his interstate builders? I appreciate the interstate, but as a tourist, I enjoy the nostalgia of taking trips to those places.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
What about the economic advantages it brings to depressed areas, and the jobs it would provide to people in those areas that were thoughtlessly left to die by Ike and his interstate builders? I appreciate the interstate, but as a tourist, I enjoy the nostalgia of taking trips to those places.

Why should my tax dollars pay for it? You want to save Route 66? Write a check. The business owners who might benefit can write a check, too.

We're not talking about schools or museums or anything else of benefit to humanity. It's a strip of freakin' asphalt. One that was made obsolete by a better strip of freakin' asphalt. Let the desert retake it.

What's next? Historic fast food joints?

Old 04-10-2012, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Why should my tax dollars pay for it? You want to save Route 66? Write a check. The business owners who might benefit can write a check, too.

We're not talking about schools or museums or anything else of benefit to humanity. It's a strip of freakin' asphalt. One that was made obsolete by a better strip of freakin' asphalt. Let the desert retake it.

What's next? Historic fast food joints?
Maybe you should just re-read the article.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:09 AM

FYI, busloads of tourists cruise old Rt 66 daily, along the part of the route this article is about, spending money, having a good time. Thousands of others in cars, and on motorcycles, do the same. Did anyone see anything in the article about taxpayer money being used by that association? The highway has been there for local use since the freeway went in back in the late 1960s/early 1970s, so the state (of Arizona, not Nevada) has been maintaining it all along anyway. This article is about promoting the route for tourism, which is a good thing to most people. But I-15 bypassed those towns from too far away, and hurt them economically. It's not about asphalt, it's about towns. Towns are made up of people who work and raise families. What would life be like here if I-15 had been routed miles away from town? What would the tiny towns of St. George be like if they hadn't found a way to run I-15 through the Virgin River Gorge, and right through the town? And, it's about things people enjoy doing and are willing to pay for. It has nothing whatsoever to do with wasting tax money that I can see.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:12 AM

BTW, the original post is for the benefit of those asking about places to go around here with metal detectors. There are lots of books available on local areas worth exploring, written by local people who have been there and done that.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:39 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,213,337 times
I LOVE making the trip down route 66....been a few years tho....used to be a prairie dawg village on the N side of the highway....somewhere past peach Springs...was kinda neat....

and Scoopie....your tax dollars aren't paying for it....mine are.....yours can pay for something else thats worthless to me.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Maybe you should just re-read the article.

"Alarmed at the demise of the famous highway and the damage to towns along its route, concerned groups in several states urged preservation of Old Route 66. In 1987, the Arizona Route 66 Association pressed for special designation of the segment still intact as Historic Route 66."

And it's maintained by the National Park Service, using tax money that could be better spent on damned near ANYTHING.

National Park Service Route 66 Corridor Preservation Program

This is a bunch of bikers and Corvette enthusiasts getting the government to pay for their nostalgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas