Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2012, 07:37 AM

116 posts, read 218,886 times

Advertisements

I was looking at the Summerlin website (I believe it was the "official" Summerlin website) and it appeared that all the various parts of Summerlin are covered by HOA's?

Am I correct?

Is all of Henderson covered by HOA's?

I'm coming from the East Coast and have never encountered an HOA and not sure I want to. I am afraid that by stepping foot on my property I will be slapped with a violation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 09:33 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
I can't answer the specific question about Summerlin, but I suspect the answer is yes.

HOAs are not ALL evil. If they are properly and reasonably run (and many are) they do serve a purpose. You aren't going to get slapped with a violation by any of them for "stepping foot on your property", etc. I've lived in areas with and without, and fortunately, could not tell the difference except for the HOA dues-- but not everyone has that experience. Many non-HOA neighborhoods look messy, because only the city can enforce things like overgrown weeds, broken-down cars in the driveway, and other issues, and they don't often do it until it gets extreme.

One of the best ways to see that you have a good, well-run HOA is to get involved in it-- go to the meetings, run for the board, etc. Lots of people like to whine about their HOA, but few take the time to try to change it.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 3,054 times
I agree with observer for the most part. I honestly feel the main reason HOA communities are on the forefront here is because of the diverse landscape of people that exist from the country abroad, all possessing a wide variety of different living standards. Some people may have been used to having toilets on their front yards, while others may be the tidy kind that are used to spending their mighty capital to keep their yards looking impeccable. HOA's seem to be a middle ground for this very type of diversity. Attempting to get everyone involved and meeting on some type of common ground.

Many communities are founded on these principles because the former was previously taken into consideration prior to their development. Unfortunately, many abuse their powers when elected as board members, and if you do some searching around the forums, you will learn both the positives and negatives, as well as caveats to living in an HOA based community. You will either love it or hate it. Due diligence (reading all CC&R's) and learning about the community itself will bode well for you before making this kind of large commitment.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:03 AM

1,009 posts, read 4,037,542 times
There appears to be lax enforcement in some situations . . per Craigslist:

"Mark Eierdam - Illegal Scooter Seller
1421 Spice Sky Dr Las Vegas NV 89128
702-370-6188 / 702-300-5966 - 49cc SCOOTERS / MOPEDS
Mopeds / Scooters Summerlin Area NoWest - 49cc / 50cc / 150cc / new 2012
NO CLARK COUNTY BUSINESS LICENSE, NO NEVADA STATE SALES PERMIT, NO RETAIL OUTLET."

Google Maps

Old 03-19-2012, 11:15 AM

49 posts, read 58,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
There appears to be lax enforcement in some situations . . per Craigslist:

"Mark Eierdam - Illegal Scooter Seller
1421 Spice Sky Dr Las Vegas NV 89128
702-370-6188 / 702-300-5966 - 49cc SCOOTERS / MOPEDS
Mopeds / Scooters Summerlin Area NoWest - 49cc / 50cc / 150cc / new 2012
NO CLARK COUNTY BUSINESS LICENSE, NO NEVADA STATE SALES PERMIT, NO RETAIL OUTLET."

Google Maps
Not Summerlin. Not in an HOA.

Summerlin is all in a pair of master plans...north and south. This is effectively an HOA. Many communities have a second local HOA. Virtually certain if gated. Most of the popular part of Henderson is in a master plan or HOA as well.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboodude View Post
Not Summerlin
Per Google Maps, 1421 Spice Sky Dr is within the Summerlin master plan.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:43 AM

49 posts, read 58,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
Per Google Maps, 1421 Spice Sky Dr is within the Summerlin master plan.
Nope. Summerlin stops at Vegas drive. It is non HOA city of Las Vegas.

Note that outline includes Desert Shores and South Shores which are not in Summerlin and are in fact other master plans.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboodude View Post
Summerlin stops at Vegas drive
I stand corrected. For others curious . . Summerlin Map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas