Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 07:13 AM

75 posts, read 137,993 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of renting our house out here in Las Vegas, and we have a pool. The thing that scares me the most is what if someone drowns in the pool? Would my insurance be liable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 09:34 AM

1,607 posts, read 2,014,174 times
Are you moving to another neighborhood?

Old 03-19-2012, 09:36 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,404,840 times
You can require the tenant to carry insurance as well, but that wouldn't necessarily get your carrier off the hook. Better to ask your insurance agent these questions.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:31 PM

75 posts, read 137,993 times
Yeah I thought about contacting the agent just haven't got through yet. Someone said you can have the renter sign some kind of waiver, I have never heard of the either.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:01 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,404,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlf View Post
Yeah I thought about contacting the agent just haven't got through yet. Someone said you can have the renter sign some kind of waiver, I have never heard of the either.
Waiver of what? I don't think you mean a waiver, but some sort of indemnification agreement. If one of their house guests drowns, and the tenant takes off or has no insurance or no assets, the family will come after you and your carrier along with the tenant, no matter what you and the tenant signed. You need to talk to your agent, and perhaps your attorney.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:22 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,072,337 times
People rent houses with pools, it's not uncommon.

If anyone ever drowns in your pool, tenant related, friend related, neighbor kid jumps over the wall, etc. I assume you will be sued.

At a minimum I would make sure my pool meets clark county "pool code" including proper height fences and self closing gates. Not much else you can do. A waiver wouldn't be worth the paper it is written on since you would likely be sued for negligence. As observer said, lawyers follow the money and sue anyone who might pay up, which for sure would include you. Putting the property in an LLC might limit some liability.

You take proper precautions, carry adequate insurance (1+ million dollar umbrella policy), and hope for the best.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:52 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,588,708 times
Also be sure to purchase a Child Proof gate/pool fence for around the pool. You can get them for about $500 installed with a gate depending on the size of the perimeter of the pool. Pool Guard just did my neighbor's and it turned out great. Then be sure to put on the Rental Contract that you are supplying the child Protecting Pool fence and gate. Whether they use it or not is another story. I would never rent one of my homes without one.

Also don't trust your tenant to maintain the pool get a pool company to maintain it weekly otherwise you could have a real mess on your hands. The pool guy also can take a look around while servicing the pool to see how everything else is looking too. Seems like the going rate is about $100 a month which should include chemicals.

Last edited by Packrat1; 03-19-2012 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: Edit

Old 03-20-2012, 02:09 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,344,517 times
If you need a recommendation for an excellent pool company, PM me. The one I use is very reliable and great service.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:07 AM

699 posts, read 2,218,845 times
there's nothing you can do to stop being sued from a drowning that occurs on your propety.

friends of mine had been sued by the decedant's family, after he (the dead guy) got into their hot tub after drinking, after all had gone to bed in the house. and subsequently drowned. i don't know what happened with the suit.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,251 times
in order for a landlord to get more protection from being sued, especially when renting a home with swimming pool, does registering an LLC as owner would help?
what could be the cost?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas