Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 05:54 PM

7 posts, read 26,082 times

Advertisements

I'm a driver, so here's the info.

In january, including tips and after tax, I averaged $8.04 per hour.
So far in Feb, it's a little over $10 per hour.
Keep in mind you are required to drive 12 hrs per day, and since there is no wage per hour (because you get paid commission) that means no evertime of course.

This is for an un-restricted cab, bringing in a little better than the average.
New drivers generally drive restricted cabs, meaning you can't pick up downtown, at the airport, or anywhere on the strip. New drivers also generally don't get to drive the weekends, since we bid on shifts, and days, and even the specific car we drive. New drivers also generally don't get to drive the best hours, like noon to midnight, or 2pm to 2am. Since they're at the bottom of the bidding they're likely to get something like 6pm to 6am.
Put all that together and new drivers quit as fast as they're hired. My company hires hundreds of new drivers EVERY WEEK.

As far as taxes on tips, the company automatically adds a theoretical 23% tip to every fare, and it is taxed and taken out of every check.
As far as "you get paid every day", yeah, you keep your tips, which for me will be anywhere from 30-60 per day.

Don't forget that you have to hussle out there, cause you're in competition with every other cab driver in your company's shift. You HAVE to maintain average with them. If you're more than 10% below that average in any 30 day period (they're averaging $200 per shift and you only averaged $180) you FIRED. Doesn't matter if you've been driving with them for 15 years.
I don't even take a lunch break during my shifts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 06:02 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,669,791 times
Is it worth doing then? The only time that's currently important to me is Monday evenings. I have lodge then, and although I'm not an officer this year, I do still like to attend. How hard is the test? Is there any particular company that you'd recommend? I know that I sound like a Vegas no0b, but how is the safety while driving? My best friend was a driver and dispatcher back in Napa, CA, so it was a lot quieter there. Thanks in advance for all of the advice.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:00 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,132,546 times
and I do recall that in one of the smaller companies, the low book for the day didn't work the next day. You never had set days off.....and if you were a consistant low booker you worked every other day.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:50 AM

Wow, it sounds pretty brutal. As far as time/days, my only real requirement is Monday evenings.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:52 AM

you wont get even a CHOICE.......it will be there way or the highway.....it's not a very cooperative or forgiving industry.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:52 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,334,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
Is it worth doing then? The only time that's currently important to me is Monday evenings. I have lodge then, and although I'm not an officer this year, I do still like to attend. How hard is the test? Is there any particular company that you'd recommend? I know that I sound like a Vegas no0b, but how is the safety while driving? My best friend was a driver and dispatcher back in Napa, CA, so it was a lot quieter there. Thanks in advance for all of the advice.
It is a difficult, thankless job, with long hours. I've been driving 11 years, and must say, in spite of the economic downturn, surplus of cabs, and being viewed, and treated as the bottom tier of society; this job is better for me in every way than my last job as a pit supervisor in a major strip resort ( a job highly regarded by the uninformed masses).

Old 02-20-2009, 08:03 PM

Which company do you drive for, sheriff? Any recommendations/advice for a potential newbie?

Old 02-20-2009, 08:27 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,334,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XII View Post
I'm an Illinoisan who's tired of the winters here and wanting to live in the southwestern sun. Does anyone here have any idea what the average wages are for a cab driver in Las Vegas?
I know cab driving isn't considered that lucrative, but my dad claimed to have went to school with a guy who split to Vegas after school and made a good living from it, Vegas being a major tourist destination and all.
Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!
I know cab drivers who own homes in Rancho Bel Aire, and I know cab drivers who live in seedy motels. Each is different.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:12 PM

I'd be happy with something in between. As long as I've got room for me and my dogs, that's all I need.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:16 AM

I agree with sheriff [I know.....that's totally amazing] I drove for 7.5 years for Whittlesea-Bell a long time back.....and I loved every second of the job because it fit perfectly for what I wanted at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas