Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 09:37 AM

26 posts, read 58,243 times

Advertisements

Have any of you ever made this drive? I've heard that you could possibly wind up hitting some rough snowy and icy weather depending on how you go. Does anyone have any input?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 09:44 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,108,015 times
If I were making that drive, I would go I-78 to I-81 to I-40. But I don't have any first-hand experience with that route. We came here from South Florida, with a hurricane chasing us most of the way.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:56 AM

43 posts, read 70,053 times
I will be making a similar trip (Atlantic City to Vegas), in early May. from what I have heard I should be ok, because the northern route should be warm enough by May.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:01 AM

15,971 posts, read 14,675,155 times
Drive to JFK, go to Terminal 5. Get on Jetblue flight to Vegas.

Much quicker.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:37 AM

383 posts, read 907,154 times
If you have AAA or a friend does they will map out the entire trip for you including alternate routes. They also show every rest stop and gas station and give you tons of info. Personally if I was to make the trip again I would sign up withh AAA. It would pay for itself. If you go through the south there is one miserable stretch through Northern Texas that takes an entire day but then you are rewarded with some nice stuff in New Mexico and Arizona. The northern route breaks up from city to city a little more but at this time expect more snow for sure.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:43 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,296,219 times
Ive driven it 4 times....once leaving LV on I40 and the rest on I15/I70.... the last time I left Atlantic city at 7:30am hit I70 and never looked back. night one was Terre Haute IN...nite 2 was Hays Ks because of a small blizzard....nite 3 was Denver to visit relatives then Denver to Las Vegas on I 70/I15....a piece of cake....all the way.....

Old 01-27-2012, 01:54 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,163,847 times
Did it from Cleveland. Night one alberquerkee. (sp). Night 2 Vegas. Never again will I drive that long at once... The following times took 3 days

Old 01-27-2012, 02:55 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,537,742 times
You can hit snow anywhere from New York to Kingman, AZ, 100 miles from Las Vegas, along the southern route (I-40). And until you get through Cedar City, UT, along the northern (I-80 to I-15) or middle routes (I-70 to I-15). The really rough parts might be in the Rockies on I-70, but with all those ski resorts they keep it pretty clear as long as they can. I've hit blizzards on the east side of the Wasatch and didn't know if I'd make it to SLC around all the vehicles that were in the ditches. And I have never driven I-40 through Flagstaff, AZ, in winter without hitting a blizzard. And many times have hit snow near Gallup, NM, west of Albuquerque, and also east of Albuquerque from Amarillo, TX, on in to Albuq. It's a toss up so the best bet is go whichever way blows your skirt up, and keep checking with the highway patrols in each state for conditions. If it's bad, plan on spending a night somewhere. Just remember, once you get past the mid-west, it will almost always be a long way between towns, so stop when you get the chance, and keep your tank full. Also, bring along a sleeping bag, food, and water, just in case you get stuck 100 miles from nowhere. There is no route you can take to avoid the possibility of snow. And bring chains unless you have a 4x4 with snow tires.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:59 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,108,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costaricageorge View Post
If you have AAA or a friend does they will map out the entire trip for you including alternate routes. They also show every rest stop and gas station and give you tons of info. Personally if I was to make the trip again I would sign up withh AAA. It would pay for itself. If you go through the south there is one miserable stretch through Northern Texas that takes an entire day but then you are rewarded with some nice stuff in New Mexico and Arizona. The northern route breaks up from city to city a little more but at this time expect more snow for sure.
While I agree with having a AAA card*, Mapquest will do everything AAA travel services will do.

Hell, a good GPS will do all that, too.

That being said, I'd take the southern route. Except for Texas, it's a far more pleasant drive. Dynimage said it best, "Happiness is Texas in the rear-view mirror."

My quote about the Lone Star State is, "The best place to be in Texas is dead center. That way, no matter which way you go, you're leaving."

The agony of driving through Texas is rewarded with the drive through New Mexico and Arizona. New Mexico is amazing. We spent two days driving through it because we were constantly pulling over to take pictures. (Also because we took a side trip to the caverns and Roswell. Then we went to Winslow, AZ, so I could stand on the corner and try to pick up girls in flat-bed Fords. My wife wasn't as cool with that as she was with going to the Alien museum in Roswell.)

* I've had AAA for most of my life. And every couple years it more than pays for itself with a tow, a jump, or a locksmith.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:27 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,465,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Have any of you ever made this drive? I've heard that you could possibly wind up hitting some rough snowy and icy weather depending on how you go. Does anyone have any input?

Thanks
DM macgeek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas