Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 12:26 PM

5 posts, read 7,112 times

Advertisements

Hello. My husband and I and our 2 kids ages 11 and 6 are moving to Las Vegas in June of 2012. We are coming from Dallas, TX where I have lived all of my life. My husband works for Southwest Airlines and is transferring here to fly out of LAS for better work schedules. Anyway I have done lots and lots of research on schools and from what I can tell, Summerlin is the place to be for great schools. But I have found some really nice homes for sale in Spring Valley. Are the schools just as good in Spring Valley? I am so overwhelmed with this move. It's hard to know if you are doing exactly what is best for your kids, when you are moving somewhere you know nothing about.
Any advice anyone can give me is SO SO SO appreciated. We are coming from a small town outside of Dallas, my hometown where I am the 5th generation from my family living here. I know I'm going to be in shock moving away...but I am more than ready. Just want to know that I am making the right decisions for my KIDS. Daughter will go to 7th grade when we move and my son will start 2nd grade. More concerned for my daughter having to start over in middle school.
Anyway sorry to ramble. Any advice yall can give me again is very much appreciated!

Thank you all,
A. Woosley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 12:59 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,474,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woosley View Post
Hello. My husband and I and our 2 kids ages 11 and 6 are moving to Las Vegas in June of 2012. We are coming from Dallas, TX where I have lived all of my life. My husband works for Southwest Airlines and is transferring here to fly out of LAS for better work schedules. Anyway I have done lots and lots of research on schools and from what I can tell, Summerlin is the place to be for great schools. But I have found some really nice homes for sale in Spring Valley. Are the schools just as good in Spring Valley? I am so overwhelmed with this move. It's hard to know if you are doing exactly what is best for your kids, when you are moving somewhere you know nothing about.
Any advice anyone can give me is SO SO SO appreciated. We are coming from a small town outside of Dallas, my hometown where I am the 5th generation from my family living here. I know I'm going to be in shock moving away...but I am more than ready. Just want to know that I am making the right decisions for my KIDS. Daughter will go to 7th grade when we move and my son will start 2nd grade. More concerned for my daughter having to start over in middle school.
Anyway sorry to ramble. Any advice yall can give me again is very much appreciated!

Thank you all,
A. Woosley
Clark County School District is usually ranked lowest on most school district ranking lists.

I've had and am still putting kids through the school system here. I haven't had any problem with the kids education, they learn their ABC's and 123's just like everybody else and the older ones have gotten good jobs, or they are currently in college or tech schools.

Your kids will get the standard US education in Las Vegas, mediocre, nothing more nothing less.However, we simply don't have funding in our State to afford all the bells and whistles that go with having a GREAT school system.

Perhaps your school district in Texas ranks much better, if education is most important to you and is a deciding factor on moving maybe you might want to weigh better work schedules for hubby versus a higher performing/higher ranking school district for your kids.

Here's an article I remember reading about showing the best schools depending upon the $$ you spend for your house. Maybe Southwest has openings in those cities as well. Summerlin is a beautiful area to live in and the schools there are decent, Sig Rogich Middle School and Givens, Bonner and Staton are good elementary schools from my experience and from what I've heard from others with younger ones. Much good luck to you in whatever/wherever you decide!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielfi...-housing-buck/

Last edited by MomMom; 01-24-2012 at 01:55 PM..

Old 01-24-2012, 02:03 PM

Thank you for that reply. We ARE moving to LAS, I'm just a worry wart, haha!! Other than wanting a better flying schedule after 17 years for my husband, I/We need a change. So this is what I feel led to do after much much prayer. Yes, I feel the Lord is leading me to Sin City, haha!!!

Those schools you mentioned in Summerlin are the ones I have highlighted on my "list", so thank you. And I may sound like I'm all about the best, top notch schools...I am wanting good schools, but if I wanted GREAT, SUPERB schools then I would look into private schools I guess. You make me rethink what I'm thinking, I need to just relax I guess.

Is Spring Valley a good area?? For raising kids??

Old 01-24-2012, 02:53 PM

579 posts, read 997,651 times
Ober is an excellent school in Summerlin as well. Our middle school child goes to Fertitta which gets a 7 on Greatschools.net (as opposed to Rogich getting a 10) and we are very satisfied with it. I think some of Spring Valley goes there.

In addition to schools, Summerlin has excellent libraries and the community has lots of activities for children. Each village has its own unique park covering many acres as well. It is a community designed with raising families in mind.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:12 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,474,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woosley View Post
Thank you for that reply. We ARE moving to LAS, I'm just a worry wart, haha!! Other than wanting a better flying schedule after 17 years for my husband, I/We need a change. So this is what I feel led to do after much much prayer. Yes, I feel the Lord is leading me to Sin City, haha!!!

Those schools you mentioned in Summerlin are the ones I have highlighted on my "list", so thank you. And I may sound like I'm all about the best, top notch schools...I am wanting good schools, but if I wanted GREAT, SUPERB schools then I would look into private schools I guess. You make me rethink what I'm thinking, I need to just relax I guess.

Is Spring Valley a good area?? For raising kids??
Thanks for clarifying your views woosley! Spring Valley is a good area, it is older than Summerlin and in some parts of it, you need to do your homework as far as neighborhoods go. Spring Valley also boasts our Chinatown within its boundaries.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about the schools located there, and yes, picking the right neighborhood shouldn't pose any problem to you that you wouldn't have anywhere else with regard to raising your kids there!

Maybe someone who has some knowledge of the schools in Spring Valley can chime in.

Well, you're off to Las Vegas. Always a plus according to me, lol.

Do more research (take a short visit here to scope out neighborhoods if you can first), plan well and enjoy most of all!

Old 01-24-2012, 03:53 PM

50 posts, read 194,588 times
I can't speak to the schools in Spring Valley, since my kids are in their 30s, but I can speak to living there and in Summerlin, having lived in both. I consider Spring Valley one of the most underrated areas in the entire Las Vegas Valley. Summerlin is fantastic, as you've already determined, but you will pay more for a comparable house there than you will elsewhere. I've heard this described as the "Summerlin premium," and it definitely exists, probably 10-15 percent higher in most cases. If this is a consideration for you, I definitely would give Spring Valley a long look.

Spring Valley is closer to the airport, closer to the Strip, a little farther from Red Rock and Mount Charleston. Overall, it's a more convenient location to more things. It was the first place I lived when I moved to Las Vegas, and I have moved back. I truly enjoy it there.

I wish you the best of luck with your move.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:03 PM

383 posts, read 901,282 times
Check out Green Valley Ranch, Seven Hills, Anthem areas. They are all about ten minutes from the airport and the elementary, middle schools and high school all rank 9 or 10 on the Great Schools site. Try looking in the 89052 or 89012 zip codes. Elementary schools are Glen Taylor, Vanderburg, Twitchell, Lamping, Wolfe. The middle schools are Bob Miller and Del Webb and the high school is Coronado. The area is very safe, a little greener than most areas in Las Vegas and there are tons of parks for kids.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:08 PM

Gosh, thank yall ALL for these replies. Let me ask one other question, I'm reading that in Spring Valley you need to know which neighborhoods are good and which are bad. Of course you need to know that anywhere, but how do you find that out if you have no idea of a place? I hope that makes sense. My husband is coming there next week to check things out. Then we will both go at a later time when I can get free. I've seen several houses online that seem really great for us, but you really can't judge a house and the neighborhood online.

50sd, you made me smile and take a deep breath. I just need to keep praying!!!!! And buggin yall, haha!!

Old 01-24-2012, 04:11 PM

COSTARICAGEORGE, thank you!!!! Having those zip codes is going to help me, thank you thank you thank you.

I have to say, all of yall are so nice and friendly and HELPFUL. I'm getting more excited.

Thanks again yall!!!

Old 01-24-2012, 10:06 PM

383 posts, read 901,282 times
My pleasure. A lot of people on CD were very helpful when I made my move 18 months ago. Actually they continue to be helpful all the time. I have an eight yr. old and since you have two young kids in my opinion I would rule out Spring Vally and concentrate in the zip codes I gave you as well as take a look at some places in Summerlin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas