Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 10:47 AM

3 posts, read 5,630 times

Advertisements

I spent 15 years in this lovely city in the 80s and 90s. Soon I will be returning without being a millionaire

Real estate agents unfotunately are not always believeable. So, really where should I buy a 2br 2 bath condo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 11:16 AM

152 posts, read 379,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oletimer View Post
I spent 15 years in this lovely city in the 80s and 90s. Soon I will be returning without being a millionaire

Real estate agents unfotunately are not always believeable. So, really where should I buy a 2br 2 bath condo?
The nicest place to be an oldtimer is the Sun Cities. They start at about 80K and up. You may need a little work on the less expensive ones.

Best deals on a condo that you intend to live in are in those which don't allow renting. Mar-a-lago in Desert Shores goes down to about 40K.

In generl you will likely be better off on the west side. For newer and inexpensive try the NW - Centennial Hills. Particularly the places that don't allow or limit rentals.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:24 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,552,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oletimer View Post

Real estate agents unfortunately are not always believable. So, really where should I buy a 2br 2 bath condo?
Have you been back for visits during that time? If not you will not recognize very much. The town is 3½ or 4 times as big as it was in the 80's.

The parts of town that were nice when you lived here are not nice now in most cases. There are pockets that are still nice in the older areas, but they are surrounded by not so nice areas. So the best parts of town are now in, or adjacent to, Summerlin to the west (Westside is still Westside & not even near Summerlin), the northwest, southwest, and a little bit of North Las Vegas, but far north. In the 80's, what is now U.S 95 had just been constructed, and was not a freeway, and there were almost no homes west of there. Now I'd estimate at least half of the city is west of U.S 95, which is now a freeway until you get to the Kyle Canyon turnoff.

East of Las Vegas Boulevard until you get halfway up Frenchman (Sunrise) Mountain is not a good place to live. Higher up Sunrise are some OK neighborhoods as long as you don't mind the gauntlet you have to run to get there.

You no longer can get anywhere in town in 15 minutes. Sometimes it takes 45min to an hour depending on time of day.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:33 AM

I forgot this: in the 80's Henderson was a small, dusty, desert community that had just been discovered and Green Valley was born. Now Henderson has gone from one of the smallest towns to the 2nd largest city in the state, and instead of being out there in the desert smelling up the place like it used to do, there is practically no distinction between it and Las Vegas or North Las Vegas. North Las Vegas is now the 3rd largest city in Nevada, and Reno dropped from 1st in the 60's to 4th now. I still wouldn't live in Northtown, but you might look at Henderson

Old 12-19-2011, 11:53 AM

11,208 posts, read 16,150,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
You no longer can get anywhere in town in 15 minutes. Sometimes it takes 45min to an hour depending on time of day.
Gotta disagree with this. I can get anywhere from Red Rock Resort to Town Square in 15 minutes or less. In fact, I can usually get to the Strip in 10 minutes any time of day.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:08 PM

12,909 posts, read 28,177,184 times
Aliante?

Old 12-19-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Gotta disagree with this. I can get anywhere from Red Rock Resort to Town Square in 15 minutes or less. In fact, I can usually get to the Strip in 10 minutes any time of day.
But you can't get from my house in the NW to the airport in under 40 - 45 minutes except on a very good day. Up until the late 80's you could get ANYWHERE in town in 15 minutes OR LESS because that's all the town we had.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:52 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,426,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Aliante?
He won't come here. He has it in his head that ALL of North Las Vegas is like the dumpy old northeast part he remembers from eons ago.
I suggest somewhere on the east side. Cheap living over there. Or old Henderson.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:18 PM

12,909 posts, read 28,177,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
He won't come here. He has it in his head that ALL of North Las Vegas is like the dumpy old northeast part he remembers from eons ago.
I suggest somewhere on the east side. Cheap living over there. Or old Henderson.
i hear Northtown is very very nice also....Lots of firecrackers going off all the time.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:27 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,240,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
People thinking that way will help keep the riff raff out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas