Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 05:32 PM

412 posts, read 916,684 times

Advertisements

I see one floor plan selling for a "starting" price of about $103K for an 1100sq ft 2 bedroom, 2 story single family home with 2 car garage.

Emerson at Providence | Richmond American Homes (http://www.richmondamerican.com/Find-Your-Home/Nevada/Las-Vegas/Emerson-at-Providence/Homes-for-Sale/17830000_001_L11E_A-elliott/Home-Landing.aspx - broken link)

This is super basic with no landscaping included in the price even in the front yard (I thought front yard landscaping is always required), low budget carpet and laminate floors, laminate kitchen counters, cheap dishwasher and range, no window covers, only a single sink in master bath, cheap flat panel interior doors etc. etc..
There are SIDs and there must be HOA dues also, but it still seems like a decent price for a new SFH in nice newer area like Providence and it isn't even a Beazer home or similar bottom tier builder.
You can get a resale for less, but with a new home you can avoid bidding against speculators and investors looking for potential rental properties and the contaminated title issues from previously foreclosed robo-signed homes and the quality issues with houses slapped together in a rush during the boom years of the 2000s.

Anyone see any other competing new subdivisions that are not in a worse neighborhood than this that don't cost more or is this the lowest priced new SFH subdivision in nicer neighborhood?

Last edited by Tires; 11-26-2011 at 05:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 05:45 PM

2,565 posts, read 2,745,586 times
These are not cheap at around $93.00 sq. ft. and about the size of an apartment.

Nice forclosures typically $65-$75 with upgrades and landscaping already in place. I think bidding is worth it

Old 11-26-2011, 10:20 PM

579 posts, read 998,794 times
There are plenty of bigger and better houses not too far out of that range north of Summerlin or in the NW or SW. Buying new right now seems like a terrible idea. What is the development fails? What will these cheap, low end homes look like on 5-10 years?

Edit: Wow, look how far out NW that is. Where do you plan to work? You might be closer to the strip if you lived in Lake Las Vegas.

http://www.richmondamerican.com/Find-Your-Home/Nevada/Las-Vegas/Emerson-at-Providence/Homes-for-Sale/17830000_001_L11E_A-elliott/Map--Directions/Map-Directions.aspx (broken link)

Old 11-26-2011, 10:42 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,169,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
These are not cheap at around $93.00 sq. ft. and about the size of an apartment.

Nice forclosures typically $65-$75 with upgrades and landscaping already in place. I think bidding is worth it
There are apartments in the Valley that are bigger than these. When I read "2 story", I was leaning towards "good deal" factor. Especially since I have a Richmond American home myself. But it is not a real 2 story home. You basically live on top of the garage on the second floor. Even the description on the website calls it unusual.

Quote:
An unusual upstairs main floor makes the Elliott a must-see stop on your house-hunting journey. Downstairs, you'll find a 2-car garage and a master suite, complete with walk-in closet, bath and optional covered patio. Upstairs is an open great room and dining room, U-shaped kitchen and second master suite.
Just look at the photos provided. And the location is not convenient at all. Definitely wont have any problems with neighbors.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
There are apartments in the Valley that are bigger than these. When I read "2 story", I was leaning towards "good deal" factor. Especially since I have a Richmond American home myself. But it is not a real 2 story home. You basically live on top of the garage on the second floor. Even the description on the website calls it unusual.

Just look at the photos provided. And the location is not convenient at all. Definitely wont have any problems with neighbors.
They don't have a model home of the floor plan, but I don't see the floor plan as a disadvantage. I would think you will climb the stairs less often than with a typical 2 story design. Kitchen, master bedroom, laundry and livingroom all on one floor. Small and energy efficient.
If you buy new with a 15 year mortgage, you should be paid off before you have to deal with much repairs. Replace carpet, repaint and maybe replace the water heater and washer dryer in that time frame.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:13 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,169,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tires View Post
They don't have a model home of the floor plan, but I don't see the floor plan as a disadvantage. I would think you will climb the stairs less often than with a typical 2 story design. Kitchen, master bedroom, laundry and livingroom all on one floor. Small and energy efficient.
If you buy new with a 15 year mortgage, you should be paid off before you have to deal with much repairs. Replace carpet, repaint and maybe replace the water heater and washer dryer in that time frame.
If climbing less stairs and having a small energy efficient home are your priorities then I would say go for it. Its new and its seems to be at a price point that you desire so...

Old 11-26-2011, 11:16 PM

I'm not saying I'm going to buy there, but it's an option to look at. There is no rush anyway, I'm sure it will still be there in 2012 and probably 2013.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:23 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,023,895 times
New Tapestry in the NW start in the 80s

Old 11-27-2011, 02:03 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,309,424 times
Always remember, that the home price is just for a basic house. All the upgrades are extra and will drive your home price up, up, up. That being said, the Providence area is excellent. We went to see some model homes there earlier this year, but all they had were 2 story one's, and I want to end up in a 1 story one only. But i love the area! Sooner or later though, it will be all built out and just as crowded as everywhere else. But for the time being, it's nice and quiet with wide open spaces.

I checked out the floor plan, and it's not bad. Good for a roommate deal.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:06 AM

700 posts, read 1,331,006 times
This would be great for a first time buyer/new family that works at Nellis or maybe Creech. Small and energy efficient is what Americans should be leaning towards, not the McMansions that dominate the Valley. I would like to look at this once they have a model up and going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: