Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 03:02 PM

411 posts, read 917,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Always remember, that the home price is just for a basic house. All the upgrades are extra and will drive your home price up, up, up. That being said, the Providence area is excellent. We went to see some model homes there earlier this year, but all they had were 2 story one's, and I want to end up in a 1 story one only. But i love the area! Sooner or later though, it will be all built out and just as crowded as everywhere else. But for the time being, it's nice and quiet with wide open spaces.

I checked out the floor plan, and it's not bad. Good for a roommate deal.
I haven't seen any new 1 story homes in the lower price ranges. Most of the 1 story homes are in age restricted communities because the builders want to fit houses on the smallest possible lots.
An 1100 sq foot house like the one I linked to should really fit on even a "small" lot as a 1 story, but Richmond wanted to use such tiny lots that they had to stack floors over the garage and construct it as a 2 story to fit the unit within the tiny footprint.
I'd really rather have a one story also for everything from climbing stairs, to vacuuming stairs to cleaning the outside of the bedroom windows without climbing up a ladder, but the builders are so set on 2 story designs.
The lots must really be super tiny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 06:52 PM

59 posts, read 157,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tires View Post
I haven't seen any new 1 story homes in the lower price ranges. Most of the 1 story homes are in age restricted communities because the builders want to fit houses on the smallest possible lots.
An 1100 sq foot house like the one I linked to should really fit on even a "small" lot as a 1 story, but Richmond wanted to use such tiny lots that they had to stack floors over the garage and construct it as a 2 story to fit the unit within the tiny footprint.
I'd really rather have a one story also for everything from climbing stairs, to vacuuming stairs to cleaning the outside of the bedroom windows without climbing up a ladder, but the builders are so set on 2 story designs.
The lots must really be super tiny.
Does anyone here know...are one story homes more energy efficient than two story homes as far as air conditioning? I guess my thinking is that since heat rises, a house with a second story would potentially get warmer (in the summer, anyway) than a one story house which is lower to the ground since the ground stays a more constant temperature. Am I just making this up or is there anything to this? Also, do all two story homes in Vegas have split AC?

Old 11-27-2011, 07:37 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,340,188 times
Some homes are more energy efficient, some are not. Older one's can be drafty, newer one's should be ok. Some homes have split a/c, where I live, in a townhome with 2 stories, does not. Terrible in the summer upstairs! Cold as the arctic in the winter downstairs!

One story homes, you can get by for a good long time when it's hot with just ceiling fans. In the winter, it will be colder though. Since it's hotter much longer than it's colder, the one story home makes more sense energy wise.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:29 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,067,172 times
The Avenues at Tapestry (http://www.liveattapestry.com/avenues/homes.asp - broken link)

Literature says 80s... the sign down the street from these said 70s......

Would love to know if these could be rented

Old 11-28-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
The Avenues at Tapestry (http://www.liveattapestry.com/avenues/homes.asp - broken link)

Literature says 80s... the sign down the street from these said 70s......

Would love to know if these could be rented
That neighborhood is starting to look junky already partly because of 1 car garages which causes too many cars parked outside. The homes generally look low quality.
People wanting to turn them into rentals also makes them unappealing for owner occupants.
That combination of issues will make the neighborhood look rough in just a few years.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:04 PM

687 posts, read 4,409,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tires View Post
That neighborhood is starting to look junky already partly because of 1 car garages which causes too many cars parked outside. The homes generally look low quality.
People wanting to turn them into rentals also makes them unappealing for owner occupants.
That combination of issues will make the neighborhood look rough in just a few years.
I agree. Vegas is the first place I've ever lived where very few people seem to want to take pride in their homes.
I would never buy a low priced new home, because with low price comes the low class crowd.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger08 View Post
I agree. Vegas is the first place I've ever lived where very few people seem to want to take pride in their homes.
I would never buy a low priced new home, because with low price comes the low class crowd.
That's the advantage of the Richmond Home. 2 bedroom 1100 sq ft for $103K plus options will not attract investors since they can easily find bigger houses with more bedrooms that command higher rent for the same price or less.
Not attractive cash flow to investors compared to hundreds of other homes available. So, you can feel more confident that you will not be living in a community full of renters in just a few years.
Unless there is some kind of enforced rental restrictions on the $80K homes at Tapestry, it become a rental-dominated community if it isn't already.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:50 PM

At 100k, even a 2br is attractive. Mortgage is still below 600 and very rentable. You need to be above 160 to get away from investors. I can still get 800 for a 2br so it's still not bad. Problem is a 2nd will appreciate so little if any. IMO, a 2br is a bad buy period

Old 11-28-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
At 100k, even a 2br is attractive. Mortgage is still below 600 and very rentable. You need to be above 160 to get away from investors. I can still get 800 for a 2br so it's still not bad. Problem is a 2nd will appreciate so little if any. IMO, a 2br is a bad buy period
Why would an investor consider a 2 bedroom for $103K renting for $800 if they can get a bigger 3 bedroom somewhere else closer to employment centers for $90K and rent for over $1000?

Old 11-28-2011, 08:09 PM

Location and builder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: