Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 09:15 PM

2 posts, read 1,859 times

Advertisements

Hi all! Long time lurker, first time poster :P

Before the chorus of "Don't do it, there are no jobs here!!!" chimes in, let me mention that I already had a job lined up before I came here. I'm working in NLV, up near Cheyenne & I-15, and I'm looking for an apartment. I'm staying at an extended stay hotel while I look for a place for me, my partner, and our two large dogs.

We're having a hard time finding a place we like, though. Part of the problem is that we're not sure exactly where we want to live in the city. Summerlin, Green Valley, and Henderson seem really nice. From searches I've done on this forum, it seems that NLV is nice towards the northwest side of it.

The most we can swing for rent is about $1000/month, and ideally we'd like to move into a single family home, townhome, or a duplex with a fenced yard, so the dogs don't have to be on leash every time we take them out to pee.

We're not looking to buy at the moment, since this is a new job and we've just moved here (although we'd maybe consider buying if the deal were good enough). I'd prefer a shorter lease to a longer one, but I'm willing to do a 1 year (since that seems standard). We've been working through an agent and have seen several properties, but each one we really liked has had a dealbreaker ($2000 pet deposit, proximity to hog farm, unfenced yard). I'd prefer a small house to a large one, 2-3 bedrooms and 1-2 baths, since it's just two adults and two dogs. I haven't seen many small houses on the market though. I'm not sure if agents just don't show them or if they don't exist.

Just to make it more difficult, my partner likes to run and jog, so it has to be a place with relatively low crime so she can do so safely in the early morning and evening.

So anyway, sorry for the novel and myriad questions. Does anyone on the forum have any advice as for neighborhoods (or even better, specific properties or agents)? I'd like to find an agent that's a bit more proactive about suggesting properties, since the one we've been working with hasn't really suggested anything, just waited for us to find specific places and ask to see them.

Thanks in advance for your help. So far I'm loving it here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 10:22 PM

787 posts, read 1,777,236 times
I don't see why you're having a problem, unless you spec'ed to your agent that you're not willing to drive more than 10mins or something. Just look on Craigslist for 2 or 3 bedroom rentals in either Aliante or Centennial Hills. Both are generally rather nice and rate well on safety, and there are tons of 2-3 bed SFRs with fenced backyards for under $1000/mo. Am I missing something?

Old 11-16-2011, 10:44 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,007,241 times
rob.. yes... 2 big dogs.. and No there aren't a ton of LEGITIMATE rentals in the area for under a grand... Lots of fraudulant ones....

Old 11-16-2011, 10:52 PM

430 posts, read 1,312,846 times
With the dogs it might be tough to be under $1,000 in a nice safe area.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:24 PM

with the dogs, 1000. is going to be tough in any area.. especially if it is considered a vicious breed.. tough for insurance

Old 11-17-2011, 12:07 AM

787 posts, read 1,777,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
rob.. yes... 2 big dogs.. and No there aren't a ton of LEGITIMATE rentals in the area for under a grand... Lots of fraudulant ones....
Hmm...ok, I can see it being more of an issue with the dogs.

But still....I just took a (literally 3 minute) look on Craigslist and turned up the following:

In Centennial Hills!! (http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/apa/2704550433.html - broken link)
3Bedrooms single family house (http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/apa/2704909972.html - broken link)
3Bd/2.5Ba*2 Car Garage*All Appliances*Ready NOW (http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/apa/2654736098.html - broken link)
Northwest, Centennial hills (http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/apa/2693205426.html - broken link)
Darling House in Great Neighborhood Close to EVERYTHING (http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/apa/2701826850.html - broken link)

Granted, I think only one of them explicitly said pets are ok, but are you suggesting ads such as the above are fraudulent?

Old 11-17-2011, 12:18 AM

347 posts, read 542,742 times
Robustus

Good just similar ones I've seen when I did my search.

There's also a bunch of townhomes I saw on mls and cl. homes would work best with pets.

OP good luck.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:24 AM

430 posts, read 1,312,846 times
I live in the Northwest. I am using a Realtor to do our property management. He ran the numbers for me.

He said that there is lots of fraud on cragslist for rentals. People trying to rent out homes they don't own that are vacant, etc...

I have a single family home, I have a 3 bed/ 2 bath, 1900 sq. ft. place. Competitive rents, places that are currently rented, not listed for rent, are running $1200 - $1600 on equivalent size places in the area. The large variable being exact location, pool, 1 or 2 story, other amenities, etc....

My place has a great view of the mountains across the golf course fairway, but it is a tiny postage stamp backyard that would be ridiculous for 2 large dogs.

Not really relevant since my place is $1350.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:45 AM

exactly.. point is if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is....

Old 11-18-2011, 03:55 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,296,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreRJ View Post
Robustus

Good just similar ones I've seen when I did my search.

There's also a bunch of townhomes I saw on mls and cl. homes would work best with pets.

OP good luck.
Not the townhomes where I live in Aliante. Big dogs barking all day if they were to do that results in lots of fines. I suggest a house, nothing connected. In the regular neighborhoods, dogs bark all day long and no one seems to care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: