Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 01:27 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,368,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecnj View Post
I've lived here only since August but vacationed here many times over the years prior to the move. I was surprised, however, that we had a cold snap last week. Highs in the low 50's and low 40's at night, maybe even 30's. Still beats NJ winters, but I was really hoping to avoid cold in Vegas in early November. Still months to go before spring, so we'll see how cold it gets.
We're surprised too. It should be in the 70's right now. This whole year has been unusually cool. But we never get the bitter cold that they get further north on this planet. Cold, yes. Bitter cold? Not hardly.

We're planning on going to Elko for the Cowboy Poetry Gathering, Jan. 30 - Feb. 4. The other time we went we were lucky that it didn't get bitterly cold ...just moderately cold. But that's the reason they have it then. Cowboys can't do much cowboyin' in that weather so they get together and tell great stories in poetry style as only a westerner can do. The Western Folklife Center

I've been deer hunting in Elko County in October and nearly froze my buns off early in the morning before daylight, and by noon was running around in a t-shirt.

I guess I've had a little frozen toe syndrome on Mt. Charleston too. I'm pretty sure that they stop skiing at Lee Canyon when they do, only because it's too hot in town to put on yer duds and drive up the hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
I enjoy these kind of post why? The weather is great discussion matter. I look forward to experiencing the Las Vegas weather. I have been out there in July 112 degrees but not in January. I will be house hunting this Jan in Las Vegas so this ought to give me a real feel of the cooler weather you have. I know what cold is especially for 6 to 7 months a year so I'll be one of those people who is running around in shorts in January lol. It seems this year more rain has fallen in the Valley than usual? I can't wait to toss away the heavy coats, boots,piles of sweaters and my ice scraper and snow brush. You do not have to shovel heat so enjoy the cool weather we will endure our clod weather.
Your first winter here you'll probably try that, but then the silliness of it will hit you like it did moi. My first winter I had a nearly new wool overcoat that I pretty much wore all winter in West (by God) Virginia. I wore it here once, Actually, I carried it expecting it to get cold enough to wear until my buddy, who was dealing craps, told me to get the he** away from his table before they accused him of hiding chips under that coat. Last time I ever wore (carried) it, and I loved that coat. So the rest of the winter I wore only a sweater, thinking that it would better acclimate me to the temps. By the 2nd winter I'd come to my senses and put on a jacket. But usually a light jacket or zip up sweat shirt will do. Unless you plan on being out all day in the wind, or traveling up north, hoodies and heavy jackets are almost a waste of money. Crew neck sweatshirts are sometimes cozy.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:05 PM

Actually, Irish Spy, July was an unusually wet month, but probably by your standards it was hot and dry. I'm sure you get more rain in a day than we get in a year.

Record rainfall soaks Las Vegas on soggy Sunday - Sunday, July 3, 2011 | 10:54 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun

As for the rest of the year in Las Vegas, it doesn't look like we'll hit our average annual rainfall of a little over 4 inches. In some parts of the county, nearly 100 miles from the Las Vegas Valley (Mesquite, Laughlin) where they are close to Lake Mead or Lake Mojave, it has hit 5 inches already, but I don't know what their average is. Keep in mind that the county is over 8,000 square miles, almost the size of some eastern states, and larger than a couple of them. The county has a variety of terrain and altitudes ranging from about 1200 feet above sea level to nearly 12,000 feet above sea level.

Clark County Regional Flood Control District - Rainfall History

Old 11-13-2011, 06:03 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,296,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Otherwise, except for never having seen fog in Las Vegas in my entire life, I agree with your post. Maybe I don't get up early enough.
I've seen the fog usually around january or february. Once in early march. After some nice winter rain. It would roll in nice and thick the night before, really late, like after midnight. And stick around til about 9am or so. I know this because I witnessed it several times after staying up all night. Yes, I do this sometimes when I can't sleep. Why waste time laying in bed all night and not sleeping, when I can be online, watching TV and gazing at the fog out of the windows.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:06 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,127,019 times
I saw it ONCE years ago....cold night and a storm blew up frm Baja.....warm wet air hit cold dry air and BAM!!!!! the and hour later you could see stars

Old 11-13-2011, 06:10 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,509,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
It would roll in nice and thick the night before, really late, like after midnight. And stick around til about 9am or so.
Sounds like the itinerary of my previous LV trips. No wonder I was in a fog all day.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:24 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,642,213 times

Source: Las Vegas Sun
Attached Thumbnails
Hey i have a question? Whats the temperature in Vegas during the winter?-screen-shot-2011-11-13-8.23.02  

Old 11-13-2011, 06:51 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,808,996 times
Hi Buzz123 thanks for the info Yes we get a lot of more rain here in upstate ny our spring was crazy over 9 inches in april and lots of flooding. Then we got rained on by hurricane Irene and more flood damage. It just appears more rain storms this year in the Valley than when I was out there last time it had not rained in over 100 days. It's the cold and snow that is the bad weather stuff here frost going 4 feet in the ground wind chill of -20 to -30. I'll take 50 degrees high and 30 degrees low anytime. Hopefully next year I'll be living there to do so.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:08 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Its too cold in the winter for me, in january it is usually in the low 50s as a high, and around 32 for a low

Brrrrr...thats too cold imho
Dude, that 's nice spring day! Time to put the coats away and wear the short sleeved shirt.

That statement is slanted because I don't wear sweaters and rarely a sweatshirt, and I have yet to wear a jacket or coat this year. Everyone else is, but it's not cold enough for me yet. It's getting close....

BTW, we've had a mild fall and it's still 45 degrees out there. Nice!

Old 11-13-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I've seen the fog usually around january or february. Once in early march. After some nice winter rain. It would roll in nice and thick the night before, really late, like after midnight. And stick around til about 9am or so. I know this because I witnessed it several times after staying up all night. Yes, I do this sometimes when I can't sleep. Why waste time laying in bed all night and not sleeping, when I can be online, watching TV and gazing at the fog out of the windows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I saw it ONCE years ago....cold night and a storm blew up frm Baja.....warm wet air hit cold dry air and BAM!!!!! the and hour later you could see stars
I think you two were in a fog, but it was coming from the bong.

Pink, if you're referring to what we get slipping down the side of the mountains during a rain, we call those clouds in my country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas