Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 04:55 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,781,802 times

Advertisements

Hmmmm, I have one of these:

Shop Mr. LongArm 6' -12' Extension Pole at Lowes.com

and one of these:

Shop Bayco 11' Pole Light Bulb Changer Kit at Lowes.com

And I found this:

Shop Ettore 4-Section 16' Extension Pole at Lowes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 07:02 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,843,320 times
If weight is a concern, use electrical conduit. It's cheap, light weight and has a lot of different connectors and clamps.
Pipe Hangers

Old 10-25-2011, 07:07 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,047,026 times
well i spent an hour at home depot and came home with...... nothing...

i could not figure what to use to attach the conduit pipe to the canopy

Old 10-25-2011, 08:18 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,812,899 times
Why wouldn't some sort of line, like rope or cable accomplish the same task? I'd use cable since it does not stretch. All you'd have to do is have a method to fasten it to the sides like I-bolts. I might even run a line or two vertical for some.... vertical support.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
Why wouldn't some sort of line, like rope or cable accomplish the same task? I'd use cable since it does not stretch. All you'd have to do is have a method to fasten it to the sides like I-bolts. I might even run a line or two vertical for some.... vertical support.
I just looked again at the link you gave. I totally missed how the end connectors work.

No holes in the verticals it hooks to? Can holes be added?

Old 10-26-2011, 07:36 AM

I don't give up easily. If you you have, or can drill, holes in the verticals buy one of these:

Shop Mr. LongArm 6' -12' Extension Pole at Lowes.com

and if you're lucky enough that the threaded end will pass completely through the vertical buy a wing nut that fits the thread. That takes care of one end.

For the other end drill a hole in the center of the end of the pole large enough to accept a bolt and buy an eye bolt and wing nut long enough to have 1 1/2" minimum sticking out of the vertical. Run the bolt through it from the outside and thread the wing nut on it.

Eye bolt and wing nuts are for easy on/off and tightening w/o a wrench required. A standard bolt and washer will probably be fine and look better that an eye bolt.

Push the threaded end through the vertical and screw on the wing nut. Doesn't need to be real tight yet, just enough to keep the end in place. If the threaded end isn't long enough to pass through hold it so the threaded rod stays in the hole. With the mechanism used to keep the pole from sliding unscrewed so it will slide, run the other end over the eye bolt and tighten the mechanism so the telescoping rod is the right length. Go back if needed and tighten down the wing nut if it has one.

Done

My only concern is how well it will stay in the horizontal w/o drooping in the center.

Cost: About $20

Old 10-26-2011, 08:39 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,653,285 times
Why not a pool pole, its light and you can lock it into any position
Drill click in holes where you need to mount things

Jonathan

Old 10-29-2011, 06:18 PM

Hope you figured it out.

I designed a solution that would work as well as look nice.

Let me know if you want to hear it.

I cracked the code.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:28 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,047,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
Hope you figured it out.

I designed a solution that would work as well as look nice.

Let me know if you want to hear it.

I cracked the code.
Yes want to hear it. Probably going to spend the $$

Old 10-31-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Yes want to hear it. Probably going to spend the $$

I keep thinking I am going to draw up some plans. But never get around to it.

I will try and just explain it and hopefully you get the idea.

My original idea was to use wire cable like this stuff

Shop Campbell Commercial 3/16" Cable, Vinyl Coated at Lowes.com

The banners or signs would hang from that much like a clothsline. The trouble was that it would droop in the middle and exert force on the legs. It would also not look so good.

To solve it I use PVC. The PVC would be in sections. You spray paint the PVC so that it looks nice of course.

Let's say the distance between the legs is 10'

You would want two sections of pvc and a coupler. You would be able to take them apart easily. You would connect one end of the cable, slide the pvc over the cable before connecting the other end.

One critical part I think is how you connect the cable. Holes need to be drilled through one side and out the other.

The bolt should be the hook kind. Not sure what it's really called but the spring loaded one that would hook onto the looped end of the cable.

Something like this.

Shop Stanley-National Hardware Hook Bolt with Hex Nut at Lowes.com

This bolt goes through the leg, through a washer before being screwed down from the outside. This is important because it would allow you to tighten it from the outside.

The total length of the two PVC plus coupling should be slightly less than the length between the legs. You tighten the bolts and it would bring the legs closer together until they meet the resistance of the PVC pipe. It would appear to be a bar.

The exposed ends of the bolt would need to be addressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas