Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 12:46 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times

Advertisements

Mrs. Tek and I got to talking about pools after reading comments on City Data and were wondering:

Are they expensive to fill?

Maintain?

Labor intensive?

If I'm not doing it, but paying someone, do you know the approximate cost?

And anything else you care to relate regarding owning a pool. Something we've never had the pleasure of.

We are trying to figure out if we would want one if Las Vegas ends up being our retirement choice.

Appreciate it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 01:07 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,314,068 times
Good upkeep cost answers here >> https://www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...nce-water.html

Old 10-22-2011, 02:19 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,639,977 times
For me the pool is my biggest yearly expense. - and the amount I use it, is several hundred dollars a swim.. but would I do it again.. YES, in a heartbeat!!

Jonathan

Old 10-22-2011, 02:36 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
This has always been a sticking point between Mrs. Scoop and I.

In Florida, we didn't NEED a pool. The Gulf of Mexico was 500 feet from our front door.

But here, yeah -- I would like a pool. A lap pool -- that's little more than a reflecting pool with an attitude. But no dice. The expense and additional liability if someone manages to drown themselves is a dealbreaker for her.

(Go to the community pool, says Mrs. Scoop.)

I don't WANT to go to the community pool. Too many people pee in that pool for my comfort level.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:53 AM

Thank you, and I forgot about all the pee...

And I can't rep two of you! I guess I have to go on a rep spree and come back.

Anyone else?

Old 10-23-2011, 01:04 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,808,775 times
They can be a pain in the rear. I pay pool guy 100 bucks a month. IF I don't do that I'm spending all sorts of money on chemicals and removing algae. I suck at pool maintenance.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
They can be a pain in the rear. I pay pool guy 100 bucks a month. IF I don't do that I'm spending all sorts of money on chemicals and removing algae. I suck at pool maintenance.
My biggest concern. How much time and energy do I need to allocate if I don't want to pay someone? I also wonder how much use it would get when it's 100+ outside. Can it be too hot to swim?

Old 10-23-2011, 01:39 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
I don't think it ever gets too hot to swim. It's great to toss something on the BBQ and take a dip. Pools are expensive but they are a great amenity too. I would seldom go outside in the summer if I didn't have a pool. It's also nice to set up your lounge in the shade and read or listen to music as well. We have a lot of meals on the patio too. Just being out by the pool makes you feel cooler even if you aren't swimming.

My dogs swim every day. They love the water. At first I worried they wouldn't be able to find the stairs and I watched them very carefully. But they are fine and they know exactly where to go to get out of the water. One of my dogs even swims laps.

My pool costs about $120 per month for power and chemicals. We do the daily stuff ourselves and pay for a pool guy 3 or 4 times a year to clean the salt cell and the big filter. It only takes 15 min or so to brush it and clean out the little filter. We have an automatic sweeper but it is a PITA to maintain and reset constantly. I wish we could find one that actually works!

I am going to try covering the pool this winter and only running the filter a couple hours a day. I know other people do this successfully and it should cut my power bill a lot.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I don't think it ever gets too hot to swim. It's great to toss something on the BBQ and take a dip. Pools are expensive but they are a great amenity too. I would seldom go outside in the summer if I didn't have a pool. It's also nice to set up your lounge in the shade and read or listen to music as well. We have a lot of meals on the patio too. Just being out by the pool makes you feel cooler even if you aren't swimming.

My dogs swim every day. They love the water. At first I worried they wouldn't be able to find the stairs and I watched them very carefully. But they are fine and they know exactly where to go to get out of the water. One of my dogs even swims laps.

My pool costs about $120 per month for power and chemicals. We do the daily stuff ourselves and pay for a pool guy 3 or 4 times a year to clean the salt cell and the big filter. It only takes 15 min or so to brush it and clean out the little filter. We have an automatic sweeper but it is a PITA to maintain and reset constantly. I wish we could find one that actually works!

I am going to try covering the pool this winter and only running the filter a couple hours a day. I know other people do this successfully and it should cut my power bill a lot.
Never thought about that. Here they have to drain before covering.... It will freeze and damage the sides of the pool.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:11 PM

170 posts, read 362,175 times
Default this sounds right,

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post

Although I estimate $90-$100 per month on the power and chems. I do everything myself with the exception of warranty repairs. I clean the chlorine generator and big filters every 2-3 months and it takes 2 to 2.5 hours to complete the job correctly. I have a sweep called "the Pool Sweep" from Germany, it works off pool suction return and will keep the bottom spotless. it runs while the filter pump is on. The pool takes most of the backyard and quite frankly, if there wasn't a pool we would never go out back in the summer.
I have been told that the best time to run the filter is during the hottest part of the day because that's the time that chlorine destroying debris collects in the water. During the winter this is not a factor due to the water temperature being low enough to retain free chlorine, so a couple or 3 hours a day is good which will reduce electric bill. My freeze protect is set at 38* to protect underground pipes etc. We love the pool and don't regret getting it at all...because this is "VEGAS, BABY!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas