Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2011, 04:24 PM

901 posts, read 1,900,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I don't think it ever gets too hot to swim. It's great to toss something on the BBQ and take a dip. Pools are expensive but they are a great amenity too. I would seldom go outside in the summer if I didn't have a pool. It's also nice to set up your lounge in the shade and read or listen to music as well. We have a lot of meals on the patio too. Just being out by the pool makes you feel cooler even if you aren't swimming.
It's so nice to be able to jump in and cool off, day or night, at a moments notice when it's stinking hot. It's amazing how much better you will feel once your body core is cooled down, even if you're in the pool for just a few minutes.

My neighbor rarely uses their pool. To them, it's an expensive outdoor decoration that require lots of upkeep. On the other hand, we use our almost daily and absolutely love it despite the maintenance involved. Pools can be a pain in the butt, but if you're the type of person who will use it frequently, the benefits far outweigh the costs IMO.

You just need to know what you're getting into when you decide you want to own a pool. Attitude and expectations are everything. Personally, I wouldn't live here without one.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 11:29 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,869,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal-eta View Post
I have a sweep called "the Pool Sweep" from Germany, it works off pool suction return and will keep the bottom spotless. it runs while the filter pump is on.
I think what you have is called "The Pool Cleaner", and it is built in the USA, not Germany. The company just happens to have a German-sounding name, "POOLVERGNUEGEN". Well, they also claim "German engineering", which may just mean the guy who designed it was named Hans. I've had a 2WD "The Pool Cleaner" for a couple years, which I purchased based on the advice of the regulars over at TroubleFreePool.com. I've heard the new Barracuda MX-8 might be even better.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:04 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,869,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Mrs. Tek and I got to talking about pools after reading comments on City Data and were wondering:

Are they expensive to fill?
Your typical residential Las Vegas pool is around 15k gallons. Older homes and luxury homes often have larger pools, newer homes often have smaller pools.

Water rates are tiered, so the marginal cost of 15k gallons of water could be anywhere from $25 to about $70. Here were my rates for a particularly wasteful month when I had an irrigation leak (53,000 gallons):

Tier #1 7 x $1.16 8.12
Tier #2 8 x $2.08 16.64
Tier #3 15 x $3.09 46.35
Tier #4 23 x $4.58 105.34

Evaporation on my 450 sq ft pool is about 70 gallons/day during the hottest part of the summer, so that is about 2k gallons/month.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:50 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,742,521 times
Ouch! You need an "It's Leaking! Alarm".

I'm spoiled. When we built this house 23 years ago I had them install an agricultural meter, which is a second meter that only has outside water running through it. No sewage fees. At that time it cost $80 to install and since our first summer with new sod was a scorcher it paid for itself before the summer ended. The last time I asked it was $450 to install IF they would let you.

So that 2k a month should run about $3.30 or so. Not much compared to what I'm seeing for other costs associated with a pool.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:27 PM

170 posts, read 362,341 times
Default yes you are correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
I think what you have is called "The Pool Cleaner", and it is built in the USA, not Germany. The company just happens to have a German-sounding name, "POOLVERGNUEGEN". Well, they also claim "German engineering", which may just mean the guy who designed it was named Hans. I've had a 2WD "The Pool Cleaner" for a couple years, which I purchased based on the advice of the regulars over at TroubleFreePool.com. I've heard the new Barracuda MX-8 might be even better.
now that I look at it. One expense I had with his sweep is that after running it every day for a year and a half the tires wore out. The sweep was getting stuck on the return drains at the pool bottom because there wasn't enough clearance to go over the drain grid. Ordered a pair of tires from leslie and that "got 'er done"... cost $65ish.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:33 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,021,628 times
I have a pool shark.. no problems whatsoever..... Shark + AA702's pool service = perfect pool

Old 10-24-2011, 06:49 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,719,123 times
Yes the Kreepy Krauly Pool Shark that Airics has in his pool works great! I would recomend that for anyone looking for a good pool vac.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:51 PM

Default water replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post

Evaporation on my 450 sq ft pool is about 70 gallons/day during the hottest part of the summer, so that is about 2k gallons/month.
I have been told that every two years the pool needs to be drained and refilled due to mineral retention from evaporation. Anybody else hear of this?

Old 10-24-2011, 07:13 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,719,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal-eta View Post
I have been told that every two years the pool needs to be drained and refilled due to mineral retention from evaporation. Anybody else hear of this?
Most pools should be drained mostly because of high levels of CYA (stabilizer or conditioner). This is the due to too much use of Trichlor Tablets or Dichlor Shock. Normally i would drain a pool if they surpass 120PPM or more. You can use chemicals like a Polyquat algaestat to prevent algae growth in your pool due to higher levels of CYA. High mineral content is also a reason to drain your pool and should be tested with a good test kit. I typically drain pools in a 3-4 year cycle depending on the situation.

Last edited by AA702; 10-24-2011 at 07:53 PM..

Old 10-24-2011, 07:21 PM

Default why thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
Most pools should be drained mostly because of high levels of CYA (stabilizer or conditioner). This is the due to too much the use of Trichlor Tablets or Dichlor Shock. Normally i would drain a pool if they surpass 120PPM or more. You can use chemicals like a Polyquat algaestat to prevent algae growth in your pool due to higher levels of CYA. High mineral content is also a reason to drain your pool and should be tested with a good test kit. I typically drain pools in a 3-4 year cycle depending on the situation.
for your experienced reply. that makes a little more sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas