Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 12:52 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,378,427 times

Advertisements

I have lived with and without a water softener long enough to say without a doubt it's better to have one. Hard water in the shower makes you itch. Soap doesn't rinse completely in hard water, but neither does it suds up very well. So a WS takes less soap and leaves your skin feeling better. Also, hard water ruins your clothes in the washing machine for the same reason.

I'm not into the technical aspects of whether we are putting too much salt in the Colorado, but I do know that Mexico has bitched about saline for decades even when there was less than 200,000 pop. in the Valley. But then we built the dam because California and Mexican farmers bitched about the flooding. I also know that with or without water softeners, saline in the Colorado is still a problem because it is in the earth that water from our admittedly infrequent rains carries into the lake. So even when no humans lived in the Las Vegas Valley, farmers downstream were getting too much salt from the Colorado River. It's desert. Live with it.

We consider the best deal to be both Sears RO filter and water softener, and that is usually the consensus around this town.

With a water softener, soft water doesn't go to the outside as in sprinklers, hose bibs, etc. Nor does it reach the cold water tap in the kitchen sink, so you can use either to water indoor plants. So the RO filter is a convenience for better tasting water from the sink. If you have a fairly new refrigerator that gives you filtered water from the front door then you might not need both. We find they are both useful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 12:59 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,378,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
At less than .30 cents a gallon at Walmart, I cannot justify buying a 2 thousand dollar RO unit.
Plus, IMHO, the RO water STILL taste like doggie pooh.
We buy bottled water too, at about 100 times the cost of gasoline. But we like to keep it in the car. If we filled our own bottles from the RO filter I suppose it would be a lot cheaper.

The bad taste in city water comes from all the chlorine they put in it. I have heard that most bottled water is from regular water supplies and also has chlorine in it otherwise you might catch something.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:50 AM

347 posts, read 542,898 times
If I wanted to test the water in the house and my filtered water, where could I get this done? I thought I heard something like Sears will do this but how reliable are they? Anyone have experience with Sears or another vendor?

Old 11-04-2011, 03:08 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,007,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
We buy bottled water too, at about 100 times the cost of gasoline. But we like to keep it in the car. If we filled our own bottles from the RO filter I suppose it would be a lot cheaper.

The bad taste in city water comes from all the chlorine they put in it. I have heard that most bottled water is from regular water supplies and also has chlorine in it otherwise you might catch something.
Also from the madly high mineral content. Mostly calcium. Stir a teaspoon of baking soda and a pinch of salt into bottled water and it's basically the same as Las Vegas water. (Of course, add some heavy metals and radioactive isotopes for more realism.)

Old 11-04-2011, 08:40 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,136,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Also from the madly high mineral content. Mostly calcium. Stir a teaspoon of baking soda and a pinch of salt into bottled water and it's basically the same as Las Vegas water. (Of course, add some heavy metals and radioactive isotopes for more realism.)
If ya can't SEE it or CHEW it, it ain't Las Vegas Water

Old 03-16-2016, 01:07 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,053,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Have people stopped to consider what is happening to our water supply with water softeners?

We salt our water. We pump the brine into the sewage system. Not all of the salt is removed from the wastewater, and it goes back to Lake Mead. Slowly, Lake Mead is becoming more saline -- evaporation and massive salt additions do their work. So the Colorado south of Lake Mead is becoming more saline.

I don't think this is sustainable.
Well said and correct.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:52 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,818,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Well said and correct.
This is a matter of dilution and flow. About 8 milliion acre feet flow into Lake Mead each year. It has a capacity of about 28 million acre feet. So it turns over about every 3.5 years. Every year you get perhaps 200,000 AF from Las Vegas which is diluted in 8 million acre feet of flow. So roughly diluted 40 times from a low level before flowing off to AZ and CA..

So basically wrong.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:04 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,034,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
At less than .30 cents a gallon at Walmart, I cannot justify buying a 2 thousand dollar RO unit.
Plus, IMHO, the RO water STILL taste like doggie pooh.
$2000 for an RO unit? A good under the counter unit should cost a fraction of that. I don't know what 'doggie pooh' tastes like, so I will take your word for that.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:23 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,868,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
$2000 for an RO unit? A good under the counter unit should cost a fraction of that. I don't know what 'doggie pooh' tastes like, so I will take your word for that.
He bought ten and ran them in series to get rid of the "doggie pooh" taste.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:55 PM

122 posts, read 123,944 times
We put one in after moving here last year.

The hard water here caused me to break out in a rash, so we felt the need to put one in.

I was concerned slightly by the increase in sodium in our diets from putting the softner in, so we use Potassium Cloride instead of Sodium Cloride.

Doesn't really impact me much either way, as being Australian I hydrate mainly with beer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas