Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2011, 10:43 PM

186 posts, read 434,249 times

Advertisements

The earlier thread about renting reminded me of a question I was supposed to come ask you guys. What are renters commonly responsible for? When we rented in Chicago we were not responsible for landscaping, water, sewer, garage, any repairs, and sometimes gas/electric depending on the place. Here we are responsible for every single one. For repairs we are responsible for the 60 fee every time the home warranty company has to send someone out. Which so far had been twice. Once for the stove that was half broken when we moved in and more recently when the water heater sprung a leak.

Is this normal for Vegas?

sent from my phone using tapatalk, please excuse typos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 08:32 AM

508 posts, read 1,021,855 times
who ever your renting from is supposed to fix any and all problems with the home. The tenant should not have to pay that ever. in Any state

landscaping, water sewer, garbage, gas, and electric yes you are responsible for while you are there.

I know this is rather bland but here are all the laws regarding rentals

Quote:
NRS 118B Landlord and Tenant
NRS: CHAPTER 118A - LANDLORD AND TENANT: DWELLINGS

I also found this and thought it was interesting... some of them I dont think i would have ever thought of...

Quote:
10 Tips Every Tenant Needs to Know

1. The best way to win over a prospective landlord is to be prepared. Bringing the following information when you meet prospective landlords will give you a competitive edge over other applicants: a completed rental application;
written references from landlords and employers; friends and colleagues, and a current copy of your credit report.

2. Carefully review all the important conditions of the tenancy before you sign on the dotted line. Your lease or rental agreement may contain a provision that you find unacceptable--for example, restrictions on guests or pets, design alterations or running a home business.

3. To avoid disputes or misunderstandings with your landlord, get it in writing. Keep copies of any correspondence and follow up an oral agreement with a letter, setting out your understanding. For example, if you ask your landlord to make repairs, put your request in writing and keep a copy for yourself. If he agrees orally, send a letter confirming this fact.

4. Protect your privacy rights. Next to disputes over rent or security deposits, one of the most common and emotion-filled misunderstandings arises over a landlord's right to enter a rental unit and a tenant's right to be left alone, If you understand your privacy rights, for example, the amount of notice your landlord must provide before entering--it will be easier to protect them.

5. Know your rights to live in a habitable rental unit--and don't give them up. Landlords are required to offer their tenants livable premises including adequate weatherproofing; heat, water and electricity; and clean, sanitary and structurally safe premises. If your rental unit is not kept in good repair, you have a number of options ranging from withholding a portion of the rent to pay for repairs to calling the building inspector (who can usually order the landlord to make repairs) to moving out without liability for your future rent.

6. Keep communication open with your landlord. If there's a problem--for example, if the landlord is slow to make repairs--talk with the landlord to see if the issue can be resolved short of a nasty legal battle.

7. Purchase renters' insurance to cover your valuables. Your landlord's insurance policy will not cover your losses. Renters' insurance typically costs $350 a year for a $50,000 policy that covers loss due to theft or damage caused by other people or natural disasters.

8. Make sure the security deposit refund procedures are spelled out in your lease or rental agreement. To protect yourself and avoid any misunderstandings, make sure your lease or rental agreement is clear on the use and refund of security deposits, including allowable deductions.

9. Learn whether your building and neighborhood are safe, and what you can expect your landlord to do about it if they aren't. Get copies of any state or local laws that require safety devices such as deadbolts and window locks, check out the property's vulnerability to intrusion by a criminal, and learn whether criminal incidents have already occurred. If a crime is highly likely, your landlord may be obligated to take some steps to protect you.

10. Know when to fight an eviction notice--and when to move. Unless you have the law and provable facts on your side, fighting an eviction notice is usually short-sighted. If you lose an eviction lawsuit, you may end up hundreds (even thousands) of dollars in debt and face a negative credit rating.
on really good article that every renter should read here BEFORE signing on the dotted line...

Quote:
10 Steps to find out if your rental home is in foreclosure
Home Forclosure

and there is also a new neighbor law...

New Material

Old 10-05-2011, 08:48 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,984,887 times
Not true... Depends on the lease. Most state that tenant is responsible for the first $200 of a repair otherwise landlord would be sending out someone for every little repair.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:53 AM

508 posts, read 1,021,855 times
well it always depends on the lease but all i know is when i had a guy living in my house I got stuck paying for every little repair (which i wont go into deeper cause i dont want to highjack op's post...) landlord should pay for the repairs to their home.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:46 PM

186 posts, read 434,249 times
Honestly it was the repair thing that I found to be the strangest. I'll admit - it says in the lease tenant is responsible for the $60 fee when the warranty company sends someone out. I was still in Chicago and only received part of the lease from DH. We were approaching deadline for our move so I didn't insist. But why in the world would the tenant be responsible for stuff like this? If I punched a hole in a wall, yes of course. But old appliances? OK, I'm going into vent mode so I'll cut that short Thanks for the info.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:59 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,984,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grofica View Post
well it always depends on the lease but all i know is when i had a guy living in my house I got stuck paying for every little repair
Which is why you have the tenant pay the first $200.... they won't call you for something stupid like a light bulb

Old 10-06-2011, 07:13 AM

102 posts, read 256,103 times
Yeah, we're responsible for the first $50 of any repair. I thought it was ridiculous when I first saw it in the lease but, thankfully, our house is fairly new and it hasn't been an issue. It seems extremely common here and though I have been renting for the past 20 or so years in *many* different locations, I've never seen this done. Being responsible for all utilities and services seems to be a more normal practice to me. I've encountered this in several areas (SF Bay Area, NY) when renting a house, but not an apartment. Honestly, the quarterly home inspection was weird to me too. I completely understand it...if I was an owner, I'd want to be sure my house was staying in good shape, but I had never been asked to let a property manager in before to just "look around." Maybe because Las Vegas has so many investment properties?

Old 10-06-2011, 04:50 PM

579 posts, read 1,209,937 times
The tenet is usually responsible for sewer/garbage/water......but these are all "lienable" bills that can attach a lien to the house if not paid. So many landlords will have it billed to them and then they bill the tenet. Others will cover this portion. This is for a SFH. Apartments tend to cover those bills. Also, some condos will have the water billed through the HOA, just depends. In Seattle they just passed a law this July that those lienable bills must be billed to the landlord/property management company, and then forwarded to the tenet, unless the owner themselves ok the change. They had a lot of tenents not paying the utilities. We once rented a SFH in LV that didn't cover those bills, but DID cover pest control, lawn maintanence, and HOA fees. The HOA fees are also lienable and the pest control and lawn service were something the landlord didn't want to take a chance that it wouldn't get taken care of. Those with really nice landscape and pools will often cover the lawn and pool maintanence bills if they want to ensure their property stays nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas