Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 08:10 PM

33 posts, read 121,078 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! My name is Victor, I was born and raised in the LA area, and I'm a 20 year old college student working as a security guard making $9 an hour. It's not much but I get great hours and can afford the things I need. My manager told me today that I can transfer to Las Vegas If I ever wanted too after I expressed my interest in the city.

My question is if Las Vegas is a good city to move to if you already have a job lined up? My mom lives in Las Vegas right now so I will be living with her and working in the meantime. I plan on getting my own apartment and going to UNLV. I have only been to Vegas as a tourist, however; I am interested to know what it's like to LIVE in the area. How does Las Vegas differ from Los Angeles? What are some things locals do for entertainment besides go the strip? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 08:20 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,921,102 times
You should use the "search" option up top and look for what you're trying to find. I'm 100% certain there have been many threads on the pros/cons of Vegas, what kind of entertainment Vegas provides aside from the Strip, how Vegas differs from other large cities (such as LA/SF/SD/Phoenix), etc.

Good luck.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:40 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,998,833 times
Since you've asked about Las Vegas without searching the VOLUMES of threads debating the city's pros and cons, I thought I'd fill you in on something NOBODY ever talks about.

Alien abductions.

If you move to Vegas, you WILL be abducted by aliens. You probably won't even make it through the Cajon Pass. We even have special code-phrases for dealing with alien abductions here on city-data.

For instance:

"Is this zip code considered safe?"

That's code for "How many probes can I expect per day, living in that particular area?"

"What are the houses like at this development? Are there good parks and shopping nearby?"

That's code for, "Are underground bunkers available, to keep me safe from abduction?"

"What are the taxes and car registration like?"

That's code for, "What is the UFO activity like this week?"

In addition, we have several members who ARE aliens. Entering conversation with them is a one-way ticket to the mothership. You can avoid them by ignoring threads that deal with the public transporation system, or requests for photographs of the airport, and certain population density questions.

Make sure you download and read "Project Blue Book." Then decide if Vegas is right for you.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:52 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,291,990 times
I like you more every day Scoop. But revealing our well kept secrets may put you in danger. Please cover all of your windows with aluminum foil and go hide in the closet tonight. Don't ask, just do it. You will thank me later.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:54 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,922,577 times
If you have a job lined up, it's worth coming out here and giving it a shot.

You'll get more for your money here than in LA.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:05 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,922,577 times
I'll also give your other questions a shot..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vceja09 View Post
How does Las Vegas differ from Los Angeles?
Las Vegas is hotter in the summer, but cooler in the winter (still not exactly cold, though). It's also DRY here in the desert, so drink lots of water and stock up on some good lotion.

Housing in Vegas is generally newer and less expensive.

The general vibe is somewhat similar to Los Angeles, but minus the beachy surfer part....if that makes sense. Vegas is laid back, but it also has sort of a rugged wild west undertone that you won't find in LA. Not many laws here, much smaller government than CA.

Quote:
What are some things locals do for entertainment besides go the strip?
Boating on Lake Mead, hiking or skiing in Mount Charleston, enjoying the scenery at Red Rock Canyon. Seeing a movie. Going shopping. Going to a concert. Dining out with friends. Minor league baseball games. UNLV games.

And, of course, there will be local bars and such once you turn 21.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:30 PM

293 posts, read 641,768 times
Hey Scoop....you forgot to tell the op that those that do not get probed by aliens become strippers and hookers...I was not taken in a spaceship, but there is not much call for a chunky, older white guy who cant dance to be a stripper or one that would have to carry around change to be a hooker....so I just kind of hang out with all the mobsters and become a gambling, drinking, home-wrecking bum who lives in the wash because I lost my house and insurance due to not being an illegal alien construction worker.
PLease go back and read ALL the posts that are on here about the same subject....then read another one and another one that way you can sort out the people who try to help and the ones who spell the doom of the city..and stay away from the ones that say the city is like I talked about above....

Old 09-03-2011, 09:35 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,250,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vceja09 View Post
Hello everyone! My name is Victor, I was born and raised in the LA area, and I'm a 20 year old college student working as a security guard making $9 an hour. It's not much but I get great hours and can afford the things I need. My manager told me today that I can transfer to Las Vegas If I ever wanted too after I expressed my interest in the city.

My question is if Las Vegas is a good city to move to if you already have a job lined up? My mom lives in Las Vegas right now so I will be living with her and working in the meantime. I plan on getting my own apartment and going to UNLV. I have only been to Vegas as a tourist, however; I am interested to know what it's like to LIVE in the area. How does Las Vegas differ from Los Angeles? What are some things locals do for entertainment besides go the strip? Thanks in advance!
In your situation, since you DO have a job here, by all means do it. I have lived off of $9.50 an hour here for years and have done just fine. It is much cheaper here than LA, and probably more fun (I have never lived in LA).

Old 09-03-2011, 09:37 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,250,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Since you've asked about Las Vegas without searching the VOLUMES of threads debating the city's pros and cons, I thought I'd fill you in on something NOBODY ever talks about.

Alien abductions.

If you move to Vegas, you WILL be abducted by aliens. You probably won't even make it through the Cajon Pass. We even have special code-phrases for dealing with alien abductions here on city-data.

For instance:

"Is this zip code considered safe?"

That's code for "How many probes can I expect per day, living in that particular area?"

"What are the houses like at this development? Are there good parks and shopping nearby?"

That's code for, "Are underground bunkers available, to keep me safe from abduction?"

"What are the taxes and car registration like?"

That's code for, "What is the UFO activity like this week?"

In addition, we have several members who ARE aliens. Entering conversation with them is a one-way ticket to the mothership. You can avoid them by ignoring threads that deal with the public transporation system, or requests for photographs of the airport, and certain population density questions.

Make sure you download and read "Project Blue Book." Then decide if Vegas is right for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan05 View Post
Hey Scoop....you forgot to tell the op that those that do not get probed by aliens become strippers and hookers...I was not taken in a spaceship, but there is not much call for a chunky, older white guy who cant dance to be a stripper or one that would have to carry around change to be a hooker....so I just kind of hang out with all the mobsters and become a gambling, drinking, home-wrecking bum who lives in the wash because I lost my house and insurance due to not being an illegal alien construction worker.
PLease go back and read ALL the posts that are on here about the same subject....then read another one and another one that way you can sort out the people who try to help and the ones who spell the doom of the city..and stay away from the ones that say the city is like I talked about above....
Both of your posts are ridiculous and irrelevant to the thread.

Last edited by las vegas drunk; 09-03-2011 at 10:03 PM..

Old 09-03-2011, 09:51 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,950,670 times
Vceja, with a job guaranteed, I would have already been on the I-15 on my way out here. Your money will go a LOT farther in Vegas than it will in L.A. Double that if you are living at home with your mom for a while. You'll love it since there are sooooooo many bars/clubs/restaurants for people your age. Just make sure not to let drinking/gambling get out of control because everything I said above will disappear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas