Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 08:12 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,602,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
For some of you that keep your thermostat in the low to mid 70's, are you wearing long sleeves? I'd be freezing with it set that low. Run around naked and turn up the thermostat. You might scare the ups guy, but maybe you'd save more money too.
I dont like it much cooler than 75 personally, 76-80 is perfect to me, I dont use the ac too much but when winter comes I crank up the heat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 02:09 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,320,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I dont like it much cooler than 75 personally, 76-80 is perfect to me, I dont use the ac too much but when winter comes I crank up the heat
When winter comes, the heat only goes on in late november to late february. And we keep it at the bare minimum. Lots of long sleeves, and comfy throws/blankets to snuggle under. Plus we have a heated mattress cover that I mainly only use in the coldest months on my side. but my husband uses it most of the winter since he sleeps naked. I told him he could use one of my flannel nightgowns to keep warm, but he declined.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:20 PM

65 posts, read 324,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
True, what I wrote only applies to homes in older neighborhoods, unless the builder did something really sleazy and found some older unused A/C units and installed them. Since 2006 every new A/C unit manufactured is required to be minimum 13 SEER.
The house my parents moved to in Henderson was built in mid-2007. I assume the A/C is some cheap builders grade model (it's in the attic so I didn't get to climb up to take a look). It's good to know it's required to hae a minimum SEER, but I did observe with a power meter that when the A/C fan is running but not the compressor, that the system consumes about 1000 watts. Does that seem a bit high even for a cheap single-speed blower fan - I was expecting more like 300-500 watts?

Trouble is my parents want to upgrade thge thermostat to get random air recirculation. I'm in the queue for the NVEnergy Coolshare program, their Honeywell thermostat has a air recirc feature that will randomly turn on the fan 35% of the time. That seems like it will be fairly costly with the fan going at 1000 watts.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:51 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,039,624 times
the ac unit is outside the home.. the furnace is on the inside

Old 08-01-2011, 12:45 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,875,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwu123 View Post
It's good to know it's required to hae a minimum SEER, but I did observe with a power meter that when the A/C fan is running but not the compressor, that the system consumes about 1000 watts. Does that seem a bit high even for a cheap single-speed blower fan - I was expecting more like 300-500 watts?
1kW seems way too high. I just got up and flicked on the fan (radiothermostat.com was down, otherwise I wouldn't have had to get up) on for my upstairs A/C (2.5 tons) for a few seconds. I get a 500 watt spike when the fan starts and then it settles down to 260 watts.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:22 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,875,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
1800 rpm???
1800rpm on an Intelliflo with the typical amount of dynamic head present on your average Las Vegas residential pool's plumbing results in about 30gpm, or eight hours for one turn of a 15k gallon pool.

When you write idiotic nonsense like you're turning your pool every four hours (i.e. 60gpm) and saving energy with your variable speed pump, you have to expect to get called on it. Only one of those statements can be true.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:46 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,039,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
1800rpm on an Intelliflo with the typical amount of dynamic head present on your average Las Vegas residential pool's plumbing results in about 30gpm, or eight hours for one turn of a 15k gallon pool.

When you write idiotic nonsense like you're turning your pool every four hours (i.e. 60gpm) and saving energy with your variable speed pump, you have to expect to get called on it. Only one of those statements can be true.

Go to the pentair calculator, you save even at 60gpm. The pump itself saves even at full power compared to the single speed. And aa702 is correct, at minimum speeds, the shark barely moves.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:40 PM

71 posts, read 565,622 times
Just got ours - $262 for the 30 days from July 5 to August 4. This came as a relief, as the horror stories about $600 summer bills made me anxious (this was my family's first full month in Henderson). However, now I'm wondering; just how in the heck does someone accrue a $600 bill? We've got a 2400 sq ft, two story home. The central air is on every night. A swamp cooler is on downstairs for much of the day. A pool pump is running several hours every day. Last month, my uncle's big family visited for a week, using up more energy. Despite this, our bill wasn't even $300. Are people out there really running their AC 24/7 at 70 degrees or something, because that's the only way I see $600 as even remotely plausible.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:03 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,020,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkFromSoCal View Post
Are people out there really running their AC 24/7 at 70 degrees or something, because that's the only way I see $600 as even remotely plausible.
No window treatments, two ancient refrigerators (and a freezer in the garage), electric appliances, leaving the thermostat on all day at 70f and the (incandescent) lights on all the time. My neighbors have shown me $500 bills in July for 3,000 sqft properties -- "does this look right to you?"

These are the same neighbors who drive 4x4 trucks that never go offroading, running with a fuel mix that's too rich, so blue smoke comes out the exhaust.

I don't even bother suggesting a better way. It's their money. If they want to blow seven grand a year on electricity and fossil fuels, nothing I say is going to change their mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas