Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 12:40 PM

232 posts, read 496,998 times

Advertisements

Um why would it do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 12:46 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,161,398 times
because we're sick and tired of paying all the bills for the state.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:49 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,576,319 times
The only difference I could see that making is eliminating redundant job positions among all three cities which could probably free up some cash. But just as surely as that cash is freed up you can be sure it would be filtered through enough hands to never see the light of day for most of the citizens.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:55 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,020,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frischee112 View Post
Um why would it do that?
Because we pay almost ALL the taxes for Nevada, which gets distributed to Elko, Tonopah, Carson City, and everywhere else that rural Nevadans have their fingers in the pie that we basically paid for.

I lived in a town that incorporated out of their county for the same reason -- they were paying almost all the bills and getting nearly none of the services.

EDIT -- Hey, fellow secessionists: Would you prefer a small quasi-state that included Boulder City, Mesquite and Laughlin? Or would you rather be like the old West Berlin (completely surrounded by Nevada)?

Old 07-21-2011, 01:06 PM

So if you live in an incorporated city (LV, N. LV, Henderson) you don't pay the same taxes as the people who live in county controlled areas (Spring Valley, Paradise, Enterprise)?

Old 07-21-2011, 01:20 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,256,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I was told that Nellis Air Force Base is technically not part of North Las Vegas even though physically it is.

Anyone know the deal about this?
Uhh who told you that. I believe Nellis is entirely surrounded by unincorporated Clark County. Not North Las Vegas

You can see it on this map.

Last edited by scirocco22; 07-21-2011 at 10:35 PM..

Old 07-21-2011, 01:50 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,812,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I was told that Nellis Air Force Base is technically not part of North Las Vegas even though physically it is.

Anyone know the deal about this?

You're wrong about it being in NLV is the problem. Faulty premise. It's in the north part of Las Vegas, not to be confused with NLV. I know this confuses the hell out of newbies :P

I've have seen maps as well that show Nellis AFB being in NLV. They're wrong. Metro patrols that area not NLV.

I don't keep up with the official zones but if it's east of LVB it's in Las Vegas. I can understand the mass confusion since the NLV symbol is a stealth and the NLV courthouse and all that is technically on the east side of LVB. There is even a sign that says you are in NLV. Well if you take take Nellis BLV north there are no such signs telling you that you are in NLV.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:21 PM

First I wanted to answer the question with the correct answer.

It's because of this little guy right here

NRS280.123(5)

"Upon merger, the most liberal employee benefits which have been negotiated by the respective employee organizations of the law enforcement agencies of the participating political subdivisions shall be the benefits applicable to the employees of the department."

See NLV public workers make a lot of money. If you merged they'd have to pay ALL clark county employees the rate that they pay NLV. So for example a NLV police officer makes more money than metro so you'd have to pay all of metro the rate that NLV officers get paid. This is the most important reason why it will never happen.

There are other reasons as well, most of what I am writing below is just an opinion...

To those of us who have been here a while. (A while is not that long either) The idea of these cities all really being one large city is sort of new. Not so much with NLV but Henderson for sure. We have grown so fast that a small town that used to be way over there is now a large city. You can no longer tell the difference between the two. Real Hendersonites begrudge us dust babies in Vegas.

Henderson has recently turned into yuppieville, but it's roots are blue collar. They used to have a pretty good sized industrial base which is what started the city to begin with. If you go to downtown Henderson, it's still a bit like that to this day.

Most the people that lived up there liked the fact that it was not Vegas and prided themselves in being different. If memory serves me correctly it was in the early 1990's that it started making these list of best places to live. Vegas was booming and many people moved to Henderson because they heard it was "better" then Vegas.

Boulder City is the new Henderson. Though the locals there seem to anticipate and defend the sort of rampant growth that led Henderson to become "just a suburb of vegas." if you will.

It' impossible for people who've been here only ten years to understand just how fast these cities grew. When I left and joined the Army I would come back to visit and be like "OMG look at all these new houses!!!!"

Politics come into play as well. I personally think NLV seems to be thriving more so then the other cities at the moment.

Like I said most of what I wrote is really just my opinion and observation from having been born and raised here. I don't really know the history of Henderson though or exactly why NLV is a separate town, seems like I knew once.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:38 PM

Guys were getting off topic. Do you think Vegas would benefit from one large merger?

Old 07-21-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frischee112 View Post
Guys were getting off topic. Do you think Vegas would benefit from one large merger?
Did you not read my post? The answer is no.

It's because of this little guy right here

NRS280.123(5)

"Upon merger, the most liberal employee benefits which have been negotiated by the respective employee organizations of the law enforcement agencies of the participating political subdivisions shall be the benefits applicable to the employees of the department."

See NLV public workers make a lot of money. If you merged they'd have to pay ALL clark county employees the rate that they pay NLV. So for example a NLV police officer makes more money than metro so you'd have to pay all of metro the rate that NLV officers get paid. This is the most important reason why it will never happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas