Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 02:01 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,807,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
A good manufacturing wage in China is $125/month. I don't think you'll see much new manufacturing being done in Vegas any time soon.
Manufacturing is gone and will not be coming back. Need to be the people who design, engineer, and manage (marketing, finance, supply chain management, ect.) the products that are being sold
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 01:07 PM

270 posts, read 535,850 times
An article from today's Sun that is related to some of the focus of this thread. Clean energy is Las Vegas' sleeping giant, study says - Tuesday, July 12, 2011 | 9:01 p.m. - Las Vegas Sun

Old 07-13-2011, 01:50 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,956,714 times
Well, it looks like some more jobs will come with the bullet train to L.A. It's only a small step, but things are progressing in the right direction:
Developers cleared to start DesertXpress engineering - Tuesday, July 12, 2011 | 7:43 p.m. - VEGAS INC

Old 07-13-2011, 06:21 PM

699 posts, read 2,222,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecnj View Post
An article from today's Sun that is related to some of the focus of this thread. Clean energy is Las Vegas' sleeping giant, study says - Tuesday, July 12, 2011 | 9:01 p.m. - Las Vegas Sun
it's very hard to believe that solar and wind energy still isn't here on some moderate scale. all that wind and sunshine, and very little was developed during the 'boom years'.

what we they thinking? it's right there. all they needed to do was make a plan and execute it. but no, it wasn't in the cards.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:49 PM

719 posts, read 1,481,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
I have to agree. People have been saying that Vegas "needs to diversify" since the..well? Since Vegas began I guess?

Coming back in the economy? To what level? To the boom years? Never again, with people spending money they didn't have to begin with, companies incurring debt based on profit from people spending the money they didn't have?

So, who knows what the normal economy of Las Vegas is supposed to be anymore? Like it was in the 70's? In the 80's? The boom years of the 2000's?

Considering all across the nation, those very "diversified" areas suffered along with everyplace else, what's the answer? It only makes sense that a tourist destination would suffer along with the entire nation..and it's everyone's fault that so many people fell in the love with this place and moved here and the entire nation sped off into the Second Great Depression.

And now, they want the city to "diversify" because they can't get a job? Go back to where you came from if the city can't be tailored to YOUR needs! When the rest of the country comes out of the bad economy, so will Vegas.

IN MY VERY HONEST OPINION, I hope the population DOES NOT continue to grow, building of new homes is over forever and Vegas stays just the way she is, one horse town, Sin City, gawdy, bawdy, bad, sad, and NON DIVERSIFIED..... and wonderfully fantastic at the same time.

Some things are just too good to change
Applauding every word of your post and hoping you don't mind if ONE more transplant (me) comes out there to live.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:53 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,487,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSarah View Post
Applauding every word of your post and hoping you don't mind if ONE more transplant (me) comes out there to live.
Thanks...even though us oldies grumble at the growth and yearn for the good ole' days, we really do love our new folks.

You'll do fine here in town Sarah, enjoy and much good luck in everything you do!

Old 07-14-2011, 01:38 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,401,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
+1 for Mom.....
There was a book written a number of years ago by Olgilvy of B.B.D&O. [he was the "O"]
It was something about being the very best #2 in the world....most of what was written applies directly to us being the BEST LAS VEGAS we can be.....NOT necessarily the BEST TOURIST DESTINATION or the BEST ECONOMY or the LEAST CRIME but the ABSOLUTE best LAS VEGAS in the WORLD.

And we are.
(Shhhhhhhhh. Batten, Barton, Durstine, & Osborn started in 1891 so I'm sure deys all dade.
David Olgilvy of Olgilvy & Mather, and The Olgilvy Group, was considered the father of advertising, except he wasn't even born when BBDO was started. He died in 1991.)

I wonder if the Avis, "We're number two, we try harder," campaign was his.

Maybe, with Macau now number one, that campaign might work for Las Vegas.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:50 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,401,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe2ofus View Post
it's very hard to believe that solar and wind energy still isn't here on some moderate scale. all that wind and sunshine, and very little was developed during the 'boom years'.

what we they thinking? it's right there. all they needed to do was make a plan and execute it. but no, it wasn't in the cards.
Uhhhh, wait. We have the single largest solar power plant in America just south of Boulder City on U.S. 95, and there are more to come. Nevada welcomes America's single largest solar power plant | DVICE

Don't forget, all those windmills in Calif are a hazard to wildlife. Killing off the wildlife the way we have been on this planet is eventually going to kill us off too.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:27 AM

270 posts, read 535,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe2ofus View Post

Exactly. Abundant raw materials (sun and wind), demand (we all need energy), and a unique opportunity (becoming an innovator and leader in alternative energy). Tie renewable energy development into secondary and higher education systems within Nevada to teach and train residents to be the brains behind these endeavors. The education system in Nevada, with is abysmal track record, could become a leader in training for myriad vocations relating to green technologies. Those who say "it can't be done" or "it costs too much" are right----let's just do nothing and see what happens.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:45 AM

719 posts, read 1,481,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Thanks...even though us oldies grumble at the growth and yearn for the good ole' days, we really do love our new folks.

You'll do fine here in town Sarah, enjoy and much good luck in everything you do!

Thank you I am quite excited to be taking this final journey. I figure I have 30-35 good years left. (I am 54) and I want to spend them in Las Vegas. Nine weeks and counting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas