Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:26 AM

266 posts, read 611,575 times

Advertisements

I need to find someone to fix my dishwasher. It is (was) a brand new Bosch, but was hardly used. We had to replace our garbage disposal, and the person who fixed that somehow managed to screw up the dishwasher. The water just pooled at the bottom and wouldn't drain. Now it just 'hums', won't cycle...so I don't use it. The house has sat vacant for 5 years in the meantime, and now that we are back here, we would like to use it. We will soon be remodeling the kitchen with new appliances, but not for a few months...and I am tired of eating off of paper plates. Any recommendations for an honest repair person? Too many services out there to choose from, but don't want to be ripped off. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 09:51 AM

322 posts, read 568,845 times
Default A couple of quick checks you can do yourself

It sounds like it is a simple drain hose related issue since the problem started when you had the disposal replaced. The dishwasher drain hose attaches to the disposal. Check to see if that hose is kinked. It's also possible the inlet on the disposal where the hose attaches has a knock-out plug that the installer failed to remove that's causing the blockage. It's there for situations in which there is no dishwasher present. The drain hose should also be at a high elevation at some point. Usually the hole that the hose runs through the cabinet wall is high, just under the countertop.

You can also check the drain inlet in the bottom of the dishwasher for blockage/foreign objects, but it sounds more likely that it is a simple hose or hose connection problem since it started when the disposal was replaced. I hate to see you have to spend a lot of money on a service call for something that likely can be an easy DIY fix. You also run the risk of getting scam extra charges if you call a repairman. As for tools, at the most you may need a screwdriver and/or a pair of pliers to loosen the hose clamp and remove the hose from the disposal inlet connection to check for blockage there or to reroute the hose to prevent kinking.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:22 AM

1,825 posts, read 5,338,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV2ndHome View Post
It's also possible the inlet on the disposal where the hose attaches has a knock-out plug that the installer failed to remove that's causing the blockage.
This is what I am leaning towards. You can pull the drain hose off the disposal (probably just a clamp on it) and you will be able to either see into the disposal or see a plastic wall (meaning the plug was left in, doh!). A large screwdriver can knock the plug loose, remove it and hook the line back up. It would only take you about 5-10 minutes to check this.

Last edited by Danknee; 06-24-2011 at 10:36 AM..

Old 06-24-2011, 10:35 AM

Great advice, thanks! I will do this.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
This is what I am leaning towards. You can pull the drain hose off the disposal (probably just a clamp on it) and you will be able to either see into the disposal or see a plastic wall (meaning the plug was left in, doh!). A large screwdriver can knock the plug loose, remove it and hook the line back up. It would only take you about 5-10 minutes to check this.
OK...just removed all 3 clamps, but nothing came apart. I pulled hard, and nothing would budge...

ETA: Just pulled it off. No plug. Now I can't get it back on

Old 06-24-2011, 10:56 AM

I just shot a quick photo of mine. This top hose with a single clamp that my hand is on is the dishwasher drain hose. The plastic plug will be right inside of this hose connection.

You don't need to do this to check the dishwasher drain line, but the bottom rigid line comes from the main drain and connects to the disposal with two screws. To get the rigid line off you need to disassemble the pipes until you are just left with the bolted on stub, then unscrew that.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpa2d2 View Post

ETA: Just pulled it off. No plug. Now I can't get it back on
Just loosen the clamp, you can even slide it down the dishwasher drain hose a bit. Wiggle the hose back over the stub and then slide the clamp back up where it was, then tighten.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I just shot a quick photo of mine. This top hose with a single clamp that my hand is on is the dishwasher drain hose. The plastic plug will be right inside of this hose connection.

You don't need to do this to check the dishwasher drain line, but the bottom rigid line comes from the main drain and connects to the disposal with two screws. To get the rigid line off you need to disassemble the pipes until you are just left with the bolted on stub, then unscrew that.

I pulled the hose off at the end of this black part that is shown in your photo, but cannot get this black part to budge from the disposal. Is it supposed to come off? So there are two connections at this area?

Old 06-24-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpa2d2 View Post
I pulled the hose off at the end of this black part that is shown in your photo, but cannot get this black part to budge from the disposal. Is it supposed to come off? So there are two connections at this area?
If you are talking about the rigid pvc-type pipe, those are attached to the disposal with two screws. The rest of the piping after that attaches with a compression washer that you screw tight using the twist adapter on the pipe with the washer mated to the other threaded pipe. This is NOT the part to remove to check for the plug.

Watch a few disposal installation videos and you will get a better idea I'm sure. >> youtube

The dishwasher disposal line is the top one in my picture that my hand is on, the hose should be the flexible type that is clamped to hold.

If you disconnected the correct hose and can't get it off, you need to twist the hose (try a towel) to get it off or pry it a bit (carefully) with an awl or small flat head. These will stick a bit, but the flexible hose should disconnect from the disposal after you remove the clamp.

Last edited by Danknee; 06-24-2011 at 11:25 AM..

Old 06-24-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:

Watch a few disposal installation videos and you will get a better idea I'm sure. >> youtube
Good idea... beats watching this:

Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 11:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas