Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2011, 01:55 PM

28 posts, read 157,145 times

Advertisements

We are looking at areas our West to move to; we spent some time in Tucson recently, and were surprised that everything was fenced like a government compound to keep out bobcats and mountain lions; really!?! That's a little bit more than a household pest! We are in Vegas now, and it looks a lot less desert than Tucson; I see very few cacti and lots of grass and trees. But, are the wild animals snatching your dog and baby from the backyard an issue in Vegas??
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 02:14 PM

787 posts, read 1,776,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtstein View Post
We are looking at areas our West to move to; we spent some time in Tucson recently, and were surprised that everything was fenced like a government compound to keep out bobcats and mountain lions; really!?! That's a little bit more than a household pest! We are in Vegas now, and it looks a lot less desert than Tucson; I see very few cacti and lots of grass and trees. But, are the wild animals snatching your dog and baby from the backyard an issue in Vegas??
Ummm.....no. Those fears = completely unfounded and silly.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:29 PM

174 posts, read 969,836 times
I don't know if it's completely unfounded. I live up in the Trails in Summerlin and we had a coyote roaming around 2 years ago. I was hit by a car and killed.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:53 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times
Coyotes are not uncommon on the golf courses and such.

They provide little threat to anything other than a cat or very small dog. Tough on rabbits..

In general they won't come over the higher walls. They know big dogs often live on the other side.

Mountain lions exist in the surrounding high country. There is probably a sighting every year or two. That is about it.

I have never heard of anyone here taking precautions against wild animal attack...in fact the more likely thing here would be problems with a neighbors dog. I know about a couple of those.

I would be pretty skeptical in Tucson as well unless you get into some of the further out suburbs which are often in the foot hills.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:54 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,345,257 times
On the edges of town you'll find bobcats, coyotes, and even mountain lions have rarely been seen. Also a few wild burros. But as far as snatching your dog, in all my years here I've never heard of one being bothered by a wild animal, except for a friend whose puppy dog was killed by a rattlesnake at his rural property about half-way up the road to Mt. Charleston. I think somebody in Tuscan is pulling your leg. We have block walls on almost every property in Las Vegas, but it's not to keep wild critters out. I suspect their's are there for the same reasons as ours...privacy. By the way, Arizona is mostly in the Sonora Desert and Nevada is pretty much split between the Mojave or Great Basin Deserts. Many of the flora and fauna in different deserts are of different species.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:21 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,858,753 times
I've spotted cougars all over Summerlin. Rawrrr!

Old 06-18-2011, 03:59 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,576,277 times
That looks like a man killer to me................

Old 06-18-2011, 04:41 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Brooklynite View Post
I don't know if it's completely unfounded. I live up in the Trails in Summerlin and we had a coyote roaming around 2 years ago. I was hit by a car and killed.
Wow! I am really sorry. Was your death quick and painless?

Old 06-18-2011, 05:48 PM

228 posts, read 718,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
You sir get an A+ and some rep! LOL!

Old 06-18-2011, 06:38 PM

174 posts, read 969,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
Wow! I am really sorry. Was your death quick and painless?
Yes! But the thought of leaving Vegas brought me back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas