Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 11:36 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,091,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I should not have said scare tactics, but rather misinformation. Living in a motel is far from being homeless.

Really? living in a motel is far from being homeless?
Did you really say that?
Im speechless
AND YOUR AN ID!0...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 11:37 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,567,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I should not have said scare tactics, but rather misinformation. Living in a motel is far from being homeless.
I can agree with that. In fact, I don't remember them mentioning that most of the kids live in motels in the story on TV. They gave the impression that 85% of the kids were literally leaving school and living on the street.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:40 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,567,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
My CASA child goes to Whitney.

The school staff there is absolutely wonderful and very well trained in dealing with these kids. I'm so happy people are recognizing the efforts of the dedicated principal and teachers (and counselors) at that school.

My CASA child....a beautiful young lady given a raw deal. Mom was just recently released from prison after serving a 6 year prison sentence because she is and always will be a drug addict. Her parental rights over my CASA child were taken away.

Her Dad, with serious issues of his own at the time, sober and clean for many years now, loving his only daughter and in her life with the cooperation of the Foster Families she's had.. but he was living in one of those flea bag motels....

My CASA child. Shuffled through 4 different foster homes since she was a toddler. Good kid, loves-loves-loves- her school and her teachers, and her friends there at Whitney. So curious about the world and so wise beyond her years. An old soul in a little girl's body.

Through some of the really wonderful programs we have here in Las Vegas, and the wonderful people at Whitney...our CASA team got her Dad into some parenting and economic classes and he was able to use some resources available to him ...to purchase a home. An extremely modest home, in the area of Whitney, but in a OK neighborhood where it's a bit safer than the weekly motel he was at and where the Dad could easily afford the expenses to maintain the home with his job at TI. His goal was to be reunited with his daughter and make a permanent home for her after he had proven he was a fit parent.

A few months ago we went to Family court...I voiced the desire of my CASA child there to the judge and to the panel of Social Service/Child Welfare personnel.

That day, my CASA child was reunited with her loving Dad and he regained full and sole parental custody of her amidst tears, cheers and hugs in the courtroom.

They have been in their little home for about 3 months now, my CASA team friends and I helped her Dad furnish the home to give them a good start right off the bat instead of waiting until he was able to buy things a little at a time. They needed some furniture, another TV, small kitchen appliances, plates, cups, more linens..all the things that make a house a "home"

A few weeks ago I took my CASA daughter to Bed, Bath and Beyond and I bought her everything pink and purple for her bedroom... curtains, bedspreads, lamps, sparkly decorations. The first time this kid ever had "her own" bedroom in "her own" house and where she doesn't have to be afraid of being sent to yet another foster home and getting uprooted again and leaving a family who showed her kindness by being foster parents. Now, she and her Dad are "fixing up" the yard, and she wants to plant flowers.

A homeless Las Vegas kid success story in and around Whitney ES. I was released of this CASA child, she doesn't need an advocate anymore, she is happily living with her Dad and they are both doing well. But she'll always be in my life, they all are.

But, there's another....... another child who is ready for a CASA volunteer. There always is.

"The mission of the Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) Program is to support and promote court-appointed volunteer advocacy for abused and neglected children so that they can thrive in safe, permanent homes"

*|*CASA Las Vegas
Fantastic job MomMom. As you know I worked with many children in similar or worse circumstances and I commend you for reaching out to help. This is precisely the type of spirit the city needs to revive itself. Take care of the small things and the big things take care of themselves.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:47 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,472,715 times
Thanks for all the nice words everyone....

Old 06-10-2011, 12:25 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
My CASA child goes to Whitney.

The school staff there is absolutely wonderful and very well trained in dealing with these kids. I'm so happy people are recognizing the efforts of the dedicated principal and teachers (and counselors) at that school.

My CASA child....a beautiful young lady given a raw deal. Mom was just recently released from prison after serving a 6 year prison sentence because she is and always will be a drug addict. Her parental rights over my CASA child were taken away.

Her Dad, with serious issues of his own at the time, sober and clean for many years now, loving his only daughter and in her life with the cooperation of the Foster Families she's had.. but he was living in one of those flea bag motels....

My CASA child. Shuffled through 4 different foster homes since she was a toddler. Good kid, loves-loves-loves- her school and her teachers, and her friends there at Whitney. So curious about the world and so wise beyond her years. An old soul in a little girl's body.

Through some of the really wonderful programs we have here in Las Vegas, and the wonderful people at Whitney...our CASA team got her Dad into some parenting and economic classes and he was able to use some resources available to him ...to purchase a home. An extremely modest home, in the area of Whitney, but in a OK neighborhood where it's a bit safer than the weekly motel he was at and where the Dad could easily afford the expenses to maintain the home with his job at TI. His goal was to be reunited with his daughter and make a permanent home for her after he had proven he was a fit parent.

A few months ago we went to Family court...I voiced the desire of my CASA child there to the judge and to the panel of Social Service/Child Welfare personnel.

That day, my CASA child was reunited with her loving Dad and he regained full and sole parental custody of her amidst tears, cheers and hugs in the courtroom.

They have been in their little home for about 3 months now, my CASA team friends and I helped her Dad furnish the home to give them a good start right off the bat instead of waiting until he was able to buy things a little at a time. They needed some furniture, another TV, small kitchen appliances, plates, cups, more linens..all the things that make a house a "home"

A few weeks ago I took my CASA daughter to Bed, Bath and Beyond and I bought her everything pink and purple for her bedroom... curtains, bedspreads, lamps, sparkly decorations. The first time this kid ever had "her own" bedroom in "her own" house and where she doesn't have to be afraid of being sent to yet another foster home and getting uprooted again and leaving a family who showed her kindness by being foster parents. Now, she and her Dad are "fixing up" the yard, and she wants to plant flowers.

A homeless Las Vegas kid success story in and around Whitney ES. I was released of this CASA child, she doesn't need an advocate anymore, she is happily living with her Dad and they are both doing well. But she'll always be in my life, they all are.

But, there's another....... another child who is ready for a CASA volunteer. There always is.

"The mission of the Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) Program is to support and promote court-appointed volunteer advocacy for abused and neglected children so that they can thrive in safe, permanent homes"

*|*CASA Las Vegas
Tried to rep you but I couldn't. You are really a great person and your story actually brought tears to this hardened soul's eyes.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:27 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
Did you really say that?
Im speechless
AND YOUR AN ID!0...
LVD is no ID10T. He's been there and seen it all...at points he's been street homeless and living in his car. I think he was making a point that at those times, a dirtbag motel would have felt like a castle.

Don't judge him.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:43 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,155,699 times
Quote:
Did you really say that?
Im speechless
AND YOUR AN ID!0...
I would have to disagree. The reason is because I have met people that have lived in weekly motels for a couple of months up to 1-2 years. This shows some form of stability in the person's life.

2 situations..............

A family that purchased a home, got foreclosed on, then was forced to move because they could not afford payments or A family that has been staying in Seigel Suites for the past year or two and can easily afford the payments?

Who seems to have more stability?

Old 06-10-2011, 12:50 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,472,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Tried to rep you but I couldn't. You are really a great person and your story actually brought tears to this hardened soul's eyes.
Thank you my friend. It's not easy being a CASA volunteer..you spend a lot of your time, some $$ and you have constant exposure to the not so nice side of life.

But it's so worth it when the people and the system work together...and it actually works well!

Old 06-10-2011, 01:25 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
Did you really say that?
Im speechless
AND YOUR AN ID!0...
I will ignore your personal attack and tell you like it is. I live in a very cheap motel, and have since September 2010. My place is a Siegal Suites copycat. I have a refrigerator, shower, A/C, heater, digital cable and internet. I also work a full time job that I have had for the last 4 and 1/2 years. Are you really going to say I am homeless? My story echoes the link in the thread. I HAVE been homeless (for real), and I can tell you have no idea what really being homeless is like. It is NOT living in a motel. When you are on the street with roaches crawling all over you, starving, not showered in a month, and have the police taking you to jail we will talk.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:26 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
LVD is no ID10T. He's been there and seen it all...at points he's been street homeless and living in his car. I think he was making a point that at those times, a dirtbag motel would have felt like a castle.

Don't judge him.
Thanks for backing me up. I tell it like it really is. The article is total B.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas