Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 10:05 PM

719 posts, read 1,482,198 times

Advertisements

As some of you know, I am planning a move from Nashville to Las Vegas in October. I work from home, so a job is not a problem. My 25-year-old son and his 22-year-old wife have decided to come with me, so I am a bit concerned about the unemployment rate in Las Vegas for their sakes. But I can support a house for a year or two while they get on their feet. My son plans to attend the International School of Graphic Art and Design out there and hopefully open his own graphic art business, from which he can draw clients from all over the nation/world.
Anyway, I have completely fallen in love with Henderson. I had the Chamber, city, civic organizations etc send me tons of information about the city. I currently have a map of the city pinned to my office wall so I can Google bookstores, grocery stores etc and mark them with pins. This way when I begin looking for rentals, I will have an idea where I would prefer to be.
I have been reading a couple of threads here in which locals are telling a wanna be transplant that he will be bored out of his mind living in Nevada if he does not drink or gamble.
I don't understand that mindset. I have already located two writers groups, three book discussion groups, a billiard team club and a photography club in Henderson. I haven't even really begun to look at dancing lessons and other activities I plan to do once I arrive. Is it really boring there? Or is it only boring for young people?
We are coming from a suburb of Nashville where they roll the sidewalks up at 9 p.m. The town has 50,000 people, one crappy library and very little else other than being home to several country artists.
Without even being there I have found at least seven activities I want to be a part of once I get moved.
For those who say it is boring there, please elaborate. I want to know if I should stop my kid and his wife from coming with me. They love renting movies, going to the movies, playing pool, hanging out at swimming pools, dancing at clubs etc. Neither of them are gamblers or drinkers other than the occasional beer. I have come to trust you forum posters. Do you really think we will all be bored out of our minds, living in Henderson?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 11:00 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,166,692 times
NOT a chance

Las Vegas is whatever yo want it to be

Old 05-29-2011, 11:03 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,166,692 times
I dpnt drink or smoke...have never had a moment when I was bored.....there is ALWAYS something to do here and some of the best entertainment in the world./...I also do not gamble

Old 05-29-2011, 11:21 PM

719 posts, read 1,482,198 times
thanks. that was my feeling about it but wanted to check with some of your locals.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:23 PM

699 posts, read 2,223,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSarah View Post
Do you really think we will all be bored out of our minds, living in Henderson?
only if you're living under a rock. lol

life is what you make it.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:42 PM

787 posts, read 1,779,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSarah View Post
...Is it really boring there? Or is it only boring for young people?...
Umm...no. I'm fairly young and don't drink or gamble, and I love it. Plenty to do; tons of groups, as you note, outdoor activities all over, lots of interesting places within an hour or two drive, great food, shows, etc... Whoever told you they're bored here because they don't drink or gamble is either lazy, an idiot, or both.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:05 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,812,747 times
I don't know who told you Henderson was a boring place. I can only imagine that they mean the old heart of town area. 20 years ago Henderson was separated, today you can't tell where one ends and one begins. It's hardly a sleepy little town though the heart of town area does have that feel to it. It's the second largest city in Nevada. You can not tell where it ends and Vegas begins to be honest. I think gambling is boring. No one can speak for you. I think they mean that THEY would be bored without gambling, but they can't speak for you.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:24 AM

135 posts, read 270,752 times
Another non-smoking, frugal tee-totaller moving to Henderson. Can't wait, three more weeks. Although Minnesota is beautiful this time of year, I am so excited for...

WARMTH!
Closer to Parents and Kids!
Rubios!
Mountains!
More libertarians!
And all those crazy street names!

I plan on checking out Meetup.com for some of those groups once I get there.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:09 AM

102 posts, read 275,626 times
Some people would be bored no matter where you put them. Mostly because they are boring.

Continue with your dream, you sound like the type person who will find an activity that suits regardless of the locale. You have done your homework! Enjoy!!

Old 05-30-2011, 08:59 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,957,394 times
This is a great place to live whether your in Las Vegas or Henderson or North Las Vegas. There are tons of things to do and get involved with, whether your a senior citizen or a young person. As far as the arts your son will like the first Friday of every month when the downtown Las Vegas shuts down to show case their local artists works and the stores are open for people to check, entertainment and food.
And as far as yourself, you have already discovered things that you will enjoy when you get here. Life is what you make of it no matter where you live and it looks like you and your family will be just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas