Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 11:28 PM

4 posts, read 29,473 times

Advertisements

I'm new to the city, and recently I got an interview at a Pizza Hut quite far from where I am living. If I take the job, that means I have to use the Cat bus to get to and from work because I don't have a car, but I'm worried about my safety. I have ridden the bus around the city for a few times, and it just made me feel very unsafe. I know I really can't complain since I don't have a car, but just how safe are the Cat buses? Some of the people really scared me, and it will be an issue if I do take the job, because that means I'll be riding the bus two times a day.

Do you guys use the bus system here in Vegas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 10:42 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,142,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miagete View Post
I'm new to the city, and recently I got an interview at a Pizza Hut quite far from where I am living. If I take the job, that means I have to use the Cat bus to get to and from work because I don't have a car, but I'm worried about my safety. I have ridden the bus around the city for a few times, and it just made me feel very unsafe. I know I really can't complain since I don't have a car, but just how safe are the Cat buses? Some of the people really scared me, and it will be an issue if I do take the job, because that means I'll be riding the bus two times a day.

Do you guys use the bus system here in Vegas?
I don't now...but have frequently and have a number of people in my office that DO....and they have little of no problem.... I NEVER had a problem but I'm 6'5" 330lbs lol.....

Old 08-04-2007, 07:15 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,235,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I don't now...but have frequently and have a number of people in my office that DO....and they have little of no problem.... I NEVER had a problem but I'm 6'5" 330lbs lol.....
That figures...the only problem you would have is getting out of the seat...

Old 08-05-2007, 03:08 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,307,454 times
Oooo so mean olecapt. lol

Miagete, have you thought about getting a job closer to where you live? If that's not the case, move closer to your job.
I take the cat bus once in awhile, and I never feel unsafe on it. Of course i only take it in a limited area that I feel safe in..so that's the difference.

Old 08-05-2007, 03:28 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,342,813 times
One good thing I can say about Vegas is that there are no shortage of jobs. I echo looking for a job closer to your place. One thing about the buses...I never rode them but my partner did before and right when we got together. He pointed out the joys of waiting at the bus stops in 114 degree weather, 7 degree weather with biting wind, sandstorms, etc. I rode the bus on the strip one day when my car was in the shop.

The people actually out-walked the bus! I would have laughed but I was late to work at the Paris.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:45 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,142,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
That figures...the only problem you would have is getting out of the seat...
Like poppin a cork out of a wine bottle.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:08 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,060,984 times
ah, too funny you guys!

miagete, you didn't say what hours you'd be riding or what part of town. I've ridden the bus during the day in various parts of the city some years ago and there are some places the riders seemed creepy and in other areas, a lot of people seemed "normal."

As Sorcerer has mentioned, it's the bus stops that are the problem. Once on the bus, you at least have the driver to intervene if things get out of hand. But when you are waiting for the bus at the bus stops, that's the dangerous part depending on where it is and what time it is. That's not mentioning the weather aspect of it either ...yeah, not pleasant waiting in 115 degree sun when the bus is late.

--'rocco

Old 08-05-2007, 11:10 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,694,597 times
i've waited in various areas of town, mainly alone, and various times of the day, i was mainly fine, if you don't bother anyone else, you are usually fine, there are some wackos, but most people are nice...

Old 08-05-2007, 11:34 PM

4 posts, read 29,473 times
I'll be riding the bus to go to work in the morning, because I think that my job would be a morning till afternoon shift, so about 7 or 8 in the morning and then riding back at around 3 or 4 in the afternoon.

And the pizza hut is the one near unlv, that area always seems dangerous to me.

I think I'll take you guys' advice and look for a job where I live, so that I can avoid the bus.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:38 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,694,597 times
i've rode the bus in that area many times, at night, during the day, its pretty much safe in that area to wait for the bus, bright lights, lots of traffic, pedestrian traffic, when your on a busy street its much safer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas