Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 09:12 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,411,310 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I were fooled by a sticker in the window of Diegos at the MGM Grand stating that they were voted best Mexican food in Las Vegas. That was the worst and most expensive Mexican food we have eaten. To say the food was revolting would be a complement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 01:14 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,347,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Hubby and I were fooled by a sticker in the window of Diegos at the MGM Grand stating that they were voted best Mexican food in Las Vegas. That was the worst and most expensive Mexican food we have eaten. To say the food was revolting would be a complement.
I would not expect to find good Mexican food in a hotel. They have to cook for the masses, not repeat customers. Besides I think hotel food has gotten very expensive, and most of it tastes like plastic.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:20 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,347,270 times
There are a lot of authentic Mexican restaurants here now that our Hispanic population is over 26%. But they aren't the chains, they are the small local joints that look like you wouldn't want to eat there. But they are usually the best.

There are also a couple of restaurants that are the probably the first and second oldest in town. El Sombrero on Main St, and El Burrito on Del Webb Parkway and Rampart. Haven't been to El Sombrero for a long time, but it was always good. El Burrito has always been one of our favorites too.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:31 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,626,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I would not expect to find good Mexican food in a hotel. They have to cook for the masses, not repeat customers. Besides I think hotel food has gotten very expensive, and most of it tastes like plastic.
I did like Dos Caminos. However I suspect most tourist, particularly the plain eating folks from the midwest, would believe they are getting ripped off by a fancy schmancy overpriced El Toritos. A mistaken belief, but to each their own.

Quote:
I'm glad you said that about chain restaurant tacos not being real Mexican food. Many people think Taco Bell is Mexican, and when I lived in Laredo, TX, home of the best Mexican food on the planet, people would ask me if we had a lot of Taco Bells. I told them Taco Bell would be laughed out of town. Possibly they are there now, but I'd be kind of surprised if they could make it there.

When it comes to Mexican food, most Americans, IMO, haven't got a clue. They associate the mild, pasty, Americanized stuff with the real thing. Might as well consider Hormel canned tamales real Mexican food.

There are many regional foods in Mexico, mostly dependent on available ingredients just like anywhere else in the world. So if someone is used to the mild stuff, they might not appreciate the hot stuff, or vice versa. Or they might not appreciate cabrito that has been cooked spread eagled on a spit, over an outdoor mesquite fire, like you find in northern Mexico and on the border on our side. Instead they might prefer a taco from Roberto's over the really good stuff.

Frank and Fina's is authentic. So is Lindo Michoacán. Macayo's, IMO, is not because most chains are not authentic. But if it's what flips your switch then go for it. Ricardo's is surprisingly good for a chain, but given a choice I'd take Lindo Michoacán or Frank and Fina's every time. I know Garduño's calls themselves a Mexican restaurant, and I wouldn't argue with that, but they are really NEW Mexican restaurant. New Mexican food is, again IMO, even better than Mexican food. But it is different; mostly a combination of Castilian Spanish, Pueblo Indian, Mexican, and American. It's mostly based on local ingredients, with a touch of really good gourmet chef ideas thrown in. I love the original Garduño's in Albuquerque by the way. I like the ones here, but I suspect they have toned it down for the Las Vegas tourist, and I think it loses something in taste here.

This is very largely true. Basically when someone asks about Mexican food, you really do have to get them to quantify what they are actually looking for. My gf claims to LOVE mexican food...yet her favorite place is a small chain in So Cal that is mediocre and all she ever orders is cheese enchiladas

To her credit, she did rave over the tacos we got one night at the Tacos Mexico downt the street. At age 34, LA born and raised, its the first time she ever had authentic tacos

Old 05-20-2011, 08:47 AM

12 posts, read 21,588 times
We actually went to El Sombrero, but my husband kept on driving because of how it looked on the outside!
Quote:
There are a lot of authentic Mexican restaurants here now that our Hispanic population is over 26%. But they aren't the chains, they are the small local joints that look like you wouldn't want to eat there. But they are usually the best.

There are also a couple of restaurants that are the probably the first and second oldest in town. El Sombrero on Main St, and El Burrito on Del Webb Parkway and Rampart. Haven't been to El Sombrero for a long time, but it was always good. El Burrito has always been one of our favorites too.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:29 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,236,682 times
It is way far away, but I really enjoyed eating at Agave. I had the fajitas and they were excellent. I only ate their once and wish they were closer to me.

Las Vegas Mexican Restaurant - Agave

Old 05-20-2011, 11:34 AM

579 posts, read 1,210,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
It is way far away, but I really enjoyed eating at Agave. I had the fajitas and they were excellent. I only ate their once and wish they were closer to me.

Yes, Agave is very good, great building with nice outdoor eating space, upscale, 3 kinds of salsa....I like their carnitas taquitos and they have a salad with goat cheese, pears and chicken, sounds very weird but tastes amazing.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:34 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,105,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnsey7106 View Post
We actually went to El Sombrero, but my husband kept on driving because of how it looked on the outside!
tell him to turn aroun d n go back......best in town

Old 05-20-2011, 11:42 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,013,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhunting View Post
Yes, Agave is very good, great building with nice outdoor eating space, upscale, 3 kinds of salsa....I like their carnitas taquitos and they have a salad with goat cheese, pears and chicken, sounds very weird but tastes amazing.
I'm in that area all the time; I'll have to give them a try. So far, my go-to Mexican retaurant has been Frank & Fina's.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:53 AM

23,866 posts, read 24,102,926 times
Casa Don Juan

Best Mexican food I've had since I moved here (4+ years ago).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas