Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 09:14 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,481,400 times

Advertisements

This right here, I posted this last year when the news story was on tv...

LAS VEGAS -- Fears of nuclear terrorism prompted representatives from at least 26 countries, including Russia and China, to make a quiet visit to Las Vegas recently. They were in town to check out a highly sophisticated, but little known, operation that would be critical in the event of a nuclear disaster.

I-Team: Nuclear Emergency Response Teams Train in Las Vegas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 11:44 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,380,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiker1o View Post
They are improving the trail system and from the looks of it finally constructing the visitor center. Part of the trail system is closed temporarily the last time I went with my friend last month.

The reeds will grow back, it spreads fast and will create a monoculture in a short time. I was not able to see how much trees were cut if indeed trees were cut because of the construction.
Isn't the problem that those trees are Salt Cedars which don't belong there, and they screw up the ecology by drinking up all the water and killing off the natural plant life? Is that what you mean by creating a monoculture?

Saltcedar -- Identification and Control

Old 03-31-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
This right here, I posted this last year when the news story was on tv...

LAS VEGAS -- Fears of nuclear terrorism prompted representatives from at least 26 countries, including Russia and China, to make a quiet visit to Las Vegas recently. They were in town to check out a highly sophisticated, but little known, operation that would be critical in the event of a nuclear disaster.

I-Team: Nuclear Emergency Response Teams Train in Las Vegas
A guy that worked for me in Albuquerque went to work out there. They had an open house one year, and showed off the equipment that isn't top secret. They'll go all over the world to find nukes if necessary, such as when a plane loaded with nuclear weapons goes down.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:56 AM

The Atomic Test Site out in the desert: Nevada Test Site - WANMEC

and the museum in town:
The Atomic Testing Museum and the NTSHF - Las Vegas, NV

I love the look you get when you point at the Sheep Range, to the north, and tell people about how local residents used to sit on the porch and watch the atomic clouds come up above those mountains. Them thar hills suddenly look a little too close for comfort, don't they?

Old 03-31-2011, 03:29 PM

15,868 posts, read 14,508,751 times
We used to have them in NY. My older sister used to take me there when I was a kid. Then they all closed. I make a point eating there at least once on each trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
LOL...I hear ya...none here in the northeast, either.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:01 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,520,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
We used to have them in NY. My older sister used to take me there when I was a kid. Then they all closed. I make a point eating there at least once on each trip.
Me too. And I remember them on LI (N. Babylon) ...in fact it was my first employer at age 15.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:18 PM

92 posts, read 184,847 times
I recently discovered the Clark County Museum in Henderson. Only found it because: a) I had a visiting friend and I was searching for something different to do with her; and b) I had seen the "administrator" of the museum appear as a guest expert on Pawn Stars, so I knew there MUST be a Clark County museum someplace. Turns out it's practically "right down the street" from where I live. It's $2 admission ($1 if you're 60+) and really quite interesting.

Clark County Museum - Henderson, NV

Old 03-31-2011, 04:36 PM

Interesting that Taco Bell would pop up on this thread. I thought they were in every state. I remember the first one we got here was on Maryland Parkway near Sahara. Used to love their Bellburgers. It wasn't really a burger, it was their version of taco meat on a bun. I miss those. But you NYers do realize, I hope, that Taco Bell isn't exactly authentic. When I lived in Laredo, TX, where Mexican food is authentic, people would ask me if they had a lot of Taco Bells there. I always told them Taco Bell would be laughed out of town. Might be some there now, but it's not really Mexican cuisine, although Mexicans like all kinds of food, like anybody else. Mexican Tacos aren't usually made with hamburger meat though.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:56 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,821,888 times
The Omlete House on Boulder

Old 03-31-2011, 05:20 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,481,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Interesting that Taco Bell would pop up on this thread. I thought they were in every state. I remember the first one we got here was on Maryland Parkway near Sahara. Used to love their Bellburgers. It wasn't really a burger, it was their version of taco meat on a bun. I miss those. But you NYers do realize, I hope, that Taco Bell isn't exactly authentic. When I lived in Laredo, TX, where Mexican food is authentic, people would ask me if they had a lot of Taco Bells there. I always told them Taco Bell would be laughed out of town. Might be some there now, but it's not really Mexican cuisine, although Mexicans like all kinds of food, like anybody else. Mexican Tacos aren't usually made with hamburger meat though.
JFK and BMW were talking about Jack in the Box... Buzzy. In particular, the deep fried tacos they have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas