Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 09:04 AM

1,374 posts, read 2,440,263 times

Advertisements

I am spending $900/month for a studio apartment now, this includes rent, utilities, water, trash, cable, internet. I can buy a home in cash, but am hesitant in this market. If I buy, I only want to use up to $150K, just because the R.E. market trend in Vegas is so bad. These days, buying a real estate property is almost like buying a car, it is only good for consumption, not for investment.
So I keep going back and forth on renting v.s. buying. Any suggestions how to decide?

Rent--
Pros:cheap, no long term commitment (longer than one year), no mainteance cost.
Cons: small, doesn't feel like a home.
Buy--
Pros: bigger space (a house), stability (can stay forever, I have enough cash reserve for raining days). My $150K cash in the bank does not earning much interst anyway.
Cons: maintenance cost, house value may go down furthur, property tax, and have to find someone to house sit if I travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 11:21 AM

12 posts, read 29,810 times
Buy Buy Buy This sown will turn around Las Vegas Always lags the country for recovery between 12-18 months. By then you will be out of the market.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:42 AM

351 posts, read 838,031 times
I think one flaw in your analysis is considering a rental is a small place & buying would a large place. You are comparing apples to oranges. Consider the price of buying a studio vs. renting where you are now. Or consider the cost to rent a place the size you're considering buying.
I got lucky. A homeowner in the 80s & 90s, I then sold in 2005. I put everything on paper-the cost of renting vs. owning. Figuring 2-3% appreciation (of course I was off a little!) it made sense to rent. I'm hundreds of thousands of dollars ahead because of that decision. Finally tomorrow I'm buying again-yeah, prices may go down, but they're plenty low for me now.
Good luck with your decision-it's so easy to be a renter, & easy to pick up & move. Don't let all the homeowners give you that line of "You've gotta buy so you can get the tax deduction''.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:32 PM

11,178 posts, read 16,051,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaslocal55 View Post
Don't let all the homeowners give you that line of "You've gotta buy so you can get the tax deduction''.
First of all, no homeowners have said any such thing.

Secondly...what tax deduction? He's talking about paying cash; absent some other incredible itemized deductions, he's not going to have any tax deduction for his house. Taking the standard deduction, his tax liability will be the same whether he rents or buys.

I do agree with your other comment that the OP is comparig apples to oranges. If he's an apt/condo type, then that is what he should be comparing in the rent vs. buy scenario, not small studio apt. rent vs. larger living space purchase.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:55 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,645,799 times
Agree about the apples to oranges thing as well.

Also, OP includes fixed costs(utilities etc) in his assessment of his rental cost, but does not include them in his fixed housing costs(which will also include property tax and possibly HOA's) even though those costs will be the same regardless of rent or buy.

TBH OP, there are lots of really nice properties available for sale.

To me, it would depend on quality of life issues, how much space I wanted, and how permanent my living situation would be.

If you have any reasonable expectation you will not stay in Vegas for several years, I simply would not buy. OTOH, if I had stable employement/income, and knew I would be bound to Las Vegas, I'd buy a nice place I liked.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:17 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,256,058 times
Scarey..JohnG and I agree.

The time is good for buying if buying is a good thing for you to do. Low prices and interest rates make it close to optimum. I don't see any big spike in prices in the immediate future but I would think an interest rate rise is very likely over the next months as the Fed tries to drive up inflation.

On the other hand you need to decide if you like living in a studio or you could move up a little at low cost. The house thing is strictly a life style decision.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:59 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,451,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
The time is good for buying if buying is a good thing for you to do. Low prices and interest rates make it close to optimum. I don't see any big spike in prices in the immediate future but I would think an interest rate rise is very likely over the next months as the Fed tries to drive up inflation.
You have things backwards - if the Fed is intent on driving up inflation they wouldn't do so by raising interest rates. The Fed raises interest rates when they're trying to tame inflation.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:25 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,440,263 times
Cool ok

Here are my thoughts:
I am renting a studio only because I don't want to throw money away on rent. If I buy a property, I will take into consideration on "enjoyment" and "pride of ownership". However, I would still buy a small house, personally I don't need a lot of space. So a 2 bd/2 bath around 1200sq ft would be plenty.
Does anybody know how much the property tax is for a $150K house?
I am trying to figure out the cost of owning a house: property tax + HOA + water + trash + cable +internet + utilities. (no need for a pool)

Old 03-16-2011, 05:32 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,256,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
You have things backwards - if the Fed is intent on driving up inflation they wouldn't do so by raising interest rates. The Fed raises interest rates when they're trying to tame inflation.
Never said they would. And I don't think that is the intent. But I do think there is a desire to get at least moderate inflation going which will drive interest rates up in and of itself perhaps inspite of the Fed.

Later they may drive interest rates up I suppose to keep the economy from getting to enthusiastic...would that not be a nice change of scenario?

Old 03-16-2011, 05:59 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,451,833 times
Quote:
Never said they would. And I don't think that is the intent. But I do think there is a desire to get at least moderate inflation going which will drive interest rates up in and of itself perhaps inspite of the Fed.

Later they may drive interest rates up I suppose to keep the economy from getting to enthusiastic...would that not be a nice change of scenario?
You think there is a desire to get at least moderate inflation going? Who exactly has this desire?
Quote:
...I would think an interest rate rise is very likely over the next months as the Fed tries to drive up inflation.
You refer to the Fed trying to drive up inflation - how are they trying? What would the Fed do with interest rates as they try to drive up inflation? Here's a hint - they wouldn't raise rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas