Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 10:48 AM

508 posts, read 1,023,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
Have you lived in a condo? If you are used to a house it is a huge adjustment. Seven Hills is a very desirable area and Eastern is close by and has most retail stores that one is likely to need.
sk
I grew up in apartments/condos. This is my first time ever in a house and I hate it.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Why not trade houses using rental agreements? Pink rents Grofica's house for Pink's current Mortgage payment...Grofica rents Pinks house for Grofica's current mortgage payment.
Because I want to Demo the apartment and make it like it I want it.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Just curious...what does he think of the situation? I know I'd be furious at my wife if she decided something like this "after the fact."
He just doesnt know what to do. The house looks perfect but even he agrees we really have no reason for all that. he just keeps saying what if we ever have someone over we have guest rooms right now. i say guest can stay in a hotel;

Old 03-16-2011, 11:07 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,081,381 times
I agree, going with top end materials will net you even less typically, unless you find just the right buyer who wants everything exactly how you did it.

If you're trying to extract top dollar payback on your home improvements, you should be very selective in the things you upgrade. Focus on things that have the highest ratio of perceived value to their cost, then use materials which look expensive, but aren't. For example, you can get some really good rectified porcelain tile which looks just like travertine, except costs less and requires less maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
Especially if you used tip top materials. Unfortunately, your home has been commodified at a particular price per square foot. High end upgrades outbuild what is typical for the neighborhood even in the nicest of Garage Mahal neighborhoods.

You are going to lose the cost of financing the home (all of your origination fees), listing the property, the vast majority of the home improvements and the loss in market value.

A rather expensive lifestyle decision.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
Agreed!

Grofica, how big is this house and what is so difficult to clean? Hiring weekly maids would likely be a cheaper alternative to dumping the house...unless you really hate it that much.

My girlfriend, dog and I bought a 4000 sq ft house six months ago and we love it. Cleaning is actually easier than our last 2000 sq ft house due to less grout (larger travertine throughout), otherwise the cleaning level is about equal. More windows in this house, but I'm pretty fast with a squeegee.
I scrub my floors everyday till they are shiny and it takes me hours to santizie the bathrooms everyday. polish everything until it shines. sweeping and dusting. i think i spend average of 5 to 6 hours per day cleaning the house.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
I agree, going with top end materials will net you even less typically, unless you find just the right buyer who wants everything exactly how you did it.

If you're trying to extract top dollar payback on your home improvements, you should be very selective in the things you upgrade. Focus on things that have the highest ratio of perceived value to their cost, then use materials which look expensive, but aren't. For example, you can get some really good rectified porcelain tile which looks just like travertine, except costs less and requires less maintenance.
I did the house in ultra modern i know at least when i was looking for houses there was nothing like that in vegas and a bunch of us looking so i had to customize.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:12 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,602,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grofica View Post
I scrub my floors everyday till they are shiny and it takes me hours to santizie the bathrooms everyday. polish everything until it shines. sweeping and dusting. i think i spend average of 5 to 6 hours per day cleaning the house.
Why? I have kids and I don't spend that much time cleaning! I have a 5 bedroom 3 bath house. I think you are cleaning too much.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahooa View Post
how big a house are you talking about? What is the property tax in your area?
4 bedroom 3 full bath dining living room kitchen laundry back yard i think property taxes were around 1600 last year. i forget...

Old 03-16-2011, 11:27 AM

13,813 posts, read 28,536,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grofica View Post
Ahhh...you're problem isn't the house! You have O-C-D. Please talk to your doctor about it.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Ahhh...you're problem isn't the house! You have O-C-D. Please talk to your doctor about it.
yeah thats nothing new... either way I still want what I want. but the thread is getting a little off track...

can anyone provide the some options and pros/cons. i really am trying to figure out what the best thing to do is...

from what everyone says it seems like selling would be HORRIBLE.

im a little worried.

Last edited by Grofica; 03-16-2011 at 12:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas