Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 02:44 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,094,620 times
Seems that more people dislike vegas than like it. You may be rich, but think about the fact you can buy alot more house in Texas than Vegas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2006, 09:31 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,445,011 times
This is just my opinion, but I consider Las Vegas to be an unpleasant place. First, nearly 2,000,000 people (about 3/4 the population of all Nevada)
Second, the heat, it is not called the barbecue pit for nothing.
Third, there is Lake Mead, which would be a great lake full, but it is down a long way and may never fill again, and is infest with bluegreen algae, like swimming in peasoup.
Fourth, skiing,, Lee Canyon, a good skier would be terminally bored in one day.
Fifth, The people, this is a charicature, but my view of the the Las Vegas man, is shirt open to waist, gold chains, very 70's, the Las Vegas woman,, dyed blond, leathered brown skin, cutting you off at the signal in her mercedes coup.

Yes, the minority count is high,, there are millions of low end Caisino jobs.

If I needed to work there I would locate in;
A Lee Canyon area, get some land, be a little higher than the town.
B. Boulder, small clean town
D. Searchlight, smaller semi ghost town, have breakfast with Harry Reid.
E, Overton, get a horse or two.

Old 09-24-2006, 05:13 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,585,992 times
Just a comment about Greatbasinguide's location points.

First off, if you want to live on the mountain, it would be in Kyle Canyon and since most of the mountain is owned by the National Forest Service, any amount of land is out of the question--housing runs about $750k (for a one-bdr cabin) and up there. Commute is about 30-45 minutes to downtown Vegas depending on traffic.

Boulder City is a good choice nice quiet city with no gambling allowed (only town in Nevada to do that) Housing there runs about $400k and up (lake views way up) Commute is about 30-45 minutes depending on traffic.

Searchlight! Not a chance. About 50 miles from nowhere! Commute to Vegas would run about 1-1.5 hours.

Overton, again really not commutable unless you like driving. Commute would be about an hour.

I really don't know where all these people think there is nearly 2 million people in Vegas. Last known census pegged it at 1.4 million for the metro area which includes North Las Vegas, Henderson, Boulder City and unincorporated areas. I realize there are alot of illegals here, but not 600,000.

Henkelphoto

Old 09-26-2006, 01:00 PM

couple of points, an hour commute is not a bad thing if you have a good home,, Depends on what you like...

Clark County population in 2003, 1,641,529

Clark County population in 2005 1,710,555 Estimate,, Figures from the US Census Bureau.

Washoe County 2005 estimate 389,872

Carson City 2005 Estimate 56,062

Nevada total 2005 Estimate,,, 2,414,807

This tells you that the great majority of people in the state live in the Urban areas, which leaves most of the state a fine place to be alone, or to live in a very small town, I like that.

Old 09-27-2006, 12:21 PM

285 posts, read 785,754 times
It appears greatbasinguide has the typical Northern Nevada bias when it comes to Las Vegas (I've read other postings). A population approaching 2 million does not bother most people moving or living here. The reason a city grows is due to favorable economic conditions that are constently producing new job opportunities. This is contrary to most northern nevada towns that are either stagnate or grow very slowly. As in most big cities in the west, a quiet house in the burbs with a decent commute is a way to maximize quality of life.

Oh, and breakfest with Herry Reid aka (clean face)? Not a chance. I believe he spends most mornings meeting with al-Qaida.

And one more thing, my wife drives a mercedes coup.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:13 PM

Default A bias?

A northern Nevada bias?

Yes,, I suppose, although I live in California.

I do like streams with water in them.
I do like to be outside and active in the summer.
I do like to ski in the winter.
I do like lake water I can see into.
I do like wild country I can pack into and breakout my fishing rod, or deer rifle
I do like a town I can drive through in 10 minutes, although that is really too long.

Oh and my wife has a 4x4 pickup.

Depends on what you like I suppose, large cities, whether Vegas or L.A. or Saint Louis or New York,, never held much interest for me.

Old 09-30-2006, 04:24 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,235,269 times
Las Vegas is a big city. If you don't like big cities you won't like Las Vegas. Traffic is reasonable. You can get anywhere in town in less than an hour. We do the 20 miles to McCarran in under an hour in the middle of the morning rush hour. Compared to coastal California or Seattle it is wonderful.

Upper strata housing is whatever you want it to be. Our area is all half acre and more and runs 600K to twice that. We are psuedo rural...horses and all that but you can go walking here whenever you like with no fear.

Entertainment is of course of a very high order. And food is equalled only by NY and LA.

Schools are adequate. The nice neighborhood schools are equivalent to the same in the suburbs of any large city. I would agree that the high schools tend to be pretty homogeneous...if you have a bright kid into Adv Tech or another magnet it is OK but I would consider a private high school otherwise. Crime in the nicer areas is very low.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:33 PM

45 posts, read 192,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Las Vegas is a big city. If you don't like big cities you won't like Las Vegas. Traffic is reasonable. You can get anywhere in town in less than an hour. We do the 20 miles to McCarran in under an hour in the middle of the morning rush hour. Compared to coastal California or Seattle it is wonderful.

Upper strata housing is whatever you want it to be. Our area is all half acre and more and runs 600K to twice that. We are psuedo rural...horses and all that but you can go walking here whenever you like with no fear.

Entertainment is of course of a very high order. And food is equalled only by NY and LA.

Schools are adequate. The nice neighborhood schools are equivalent to the same in the suburbs of any large city. I would agree that the high schools tend to be pretty homogeneous...if you have a bright kid into Adv Tech or another magnet it is OK but I would consider a private high school otherwise. Crime in the nicer areas is very low.
Couldn't have said it better myself Olecapt

Old 08-21-2008, 11:42 AM

13 posts, read 35,168 times
I don't think traffic is so bad for a city of this size, it doesn't bother me. There are some really nice, upscale communities here with nice people/neighbors - but keep in mind that there are also lots of party girls here who love to entertain themselves by chasing other women's wealthy men. It's worse here than in L.A.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:00 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,852,615 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas