Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 08:00 AM

579 posts, read 1,212,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
don't have any kids. I just want to experience a warm climate (frankly in DC I am in indoors for 5 months for chilly weather and another 3 months for hot humid summers), while not being taxed to hell (I am looking at the overall tax burden, not whether a state has income tax). If taxes/COL were not an issue I would easily move to San Diego.

Then Vegas is just the city for you and Seattle most definately isn't. Our summers are dry and you can acutally breath (compared to DC). You learn to find shade. Biggest problem is burning hands on business establishments door hanles, and keeping parked cars cool. I shop in the morning or evening, same with walking dogs. As a whole we do a lot of indoor activities. I save the "local" field trips to places like Lake Mead or Bonnie Springs for April and May or September and
October. We usually make it a point to get to a cooler place once a month in the summer, i.e, Seattle, San Diego, San Fransisco (anything coastal) etc....we take the kids to Mt. Charelston (about 15 degrees cooler or more)........but clearly you won't have this issue.

Quote:
April, May and June are like a typical summer in other places. July, August and September are what I call Hades.
So true, we took a cruise one summer in the middle of July, and when we left Vegas we were in the low 120's. By the time we drove to the Long Beach terminal it was in the 70s. The whole week we were gone it was around 118-123 here, and it was so funny to watch the drive back as the cars temp registered the jump from 70 degree weather to the Vegas highs. It's amazing what a difference 4-5 hours can make. Of course on that trip Mexico was like 100 degrees and all humdity, which was much worse.

Quote:
And lows of 78? At 11:00pm, when I watch the news it's often "still" 100, and it's usually 95 by 9:00 am during the summer. The low usually only happens for about a couple of hours between 4:00 and 6:00 am.
Ya, I WISH it would get to 78, LOL! If it got that low I wouldn't have my AC running all night long
The thing with Las Vegas is it's so varied. We've had summers that just aren't as hot as others, and some where it's more humid and we get a big monsoon season, others harldy any rain at all. My plan when we get to Seattle is to keep my visits here during every season but summer. That way I can get the best of both worlds........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 08:36 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,289,400 times
Why do we so love to exaggerate the Las Vegas temperature...

The highest temperature ever recorded in Las Vegas is 117°F (47°C), a record that has stood since 1942 though was equalled on 19 July 2005.

In 2010, the top temperature in Las Vegas was 113°F, occurring on July 18th.

We have never seen 120 in Las Vegas.

The average summer low peaks in mid summer at 78. See

Average High/Low Temperatures for KLAS : Weather Underground

Last year there was a stretch in July when it stayed closer to 90...but that is unusual.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:36 AM

75 posts, read 116,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhunting View Post
Then Vegas is just the city for you and Seattle most definately isn't. Our summers are dry and you can acutally breath (compared to DC). You learn to find shade. Biggest problem is burning hands on business establishments door hanles, and keeping parked cars cool. I shop in the morning or evening, same with walking dogs. As a whole we do a lot of indoor activities. I save the "local" field trips to places like Lake Mead or Bonnie Springs for April and May or September and
I think I will live like a hermit during those summer days and run the AC on max. Aside from that are there good neighborhoods for an educated single person to live? I have heard crime is also an issue, especially property thefts. Do the upscale areas tend to not see this as much?

Thanks

Old 01-24-2011, 10:01 AM

968 posts, read 2,066,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
On the other hand I spent almost 20 years in Rochester NY...which competes with Seattle as the grayest place in the us. i can't really imagine that anyone lives there other than for a great deal of money or very important family ties.
Well, let me tell you. The natural beauty is striking in Seattle. You have gorgeous views of any of the following, Puget Sound, lake Washington, Mt. Rainier, Cascades, and the Olympic Mtns. The air is crisp and fresh. The homes have variety, although rarely do you see stucco. And the economy is diverse and not reliant on a single industry although technology, airplanes, and forestry are very important.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:43 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,289,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swigchow View Post
Well, let me tell you. The natural beauty is striking in Seattle. You have gorgeous views of any of the following, Puget Sound, lake Washington, Mt. Rainier, Cascades, and the Olympic Mtns. The air is crisp and fresh. The homes have variety, although rarely do you see stucco. And the economy is diverse and not reliant on a single industry although technology, airplanes, and forestry are very important.
Rochester lacks the mountains of Seattle but was otherwise very similar...Lake Ontario, the Finger Lakes the rolling and green environment of upstate NY. In the winter a constant snow fall keeps the area white and clean. Diversified locally grown industry with good schools, housing and Universities..actually better schooled than the vastly bigger Las Vegas.

That said it is an ugly place to live. Grey, grey, grey...wet, cold, grey grey grey.

You live in such places for cause...but the cause is not the place.

Now a little north of Seattle...that might be workable. Unfortunatly in that other nation.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:43 AM

6,386 posts, read 11,924,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronous81 View Post
I don't have any kids. I just want to experience a warm climate (frankly in DC I am in indoors for 5 months for chilly weather and another 3 months for hot humid summers), while not being taxed to hell (I am looking at the overall tax burden, not whether a state has income tax). If taxes/COL were not an issue I would easily move to San Diego.
I think your choices are pretty simple: Vegas, Texas and Florida. Lots of different choices though and obviously much different weather. Some of my friends relocated to Tampa area and love it compared to Vegas, but obviously humidity is not everyone's cup of tea. The way they put it the summer is just as miserable, but the winters are far more enjoyable since feeling cold is a rare thing there.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:51 PM

579 posts, read 1,212,951 times
Quote:
The highest temperature ever recorded in Las Vegas is 117°F (47°C), a record that has stood since 1942 though was equalled on 19 July 2005.

This is EXACTLY the date we were out on our cruise, and I recall very distinctly that they listed the neighbood temps, which may not be the OFFICIAL listing at McCarran, but they listed all of the areas like Summerlin, BC, Green Valley etc with their 120 and above numbers. We watched on the news, called my mom back home and teased her about it was "hot enough to fry and egg." Whether or not is an OFFICIAL recorded McCarran temp or not, matters not, as the news reports always lists different temps for different neighborhoods that very by 10 degrees or so.

Quote:
That said it is an ugly place to live. Grey, grey, grey...wet, cold, grey grey grey.

You live in such places for cause...but the cause is not the place.

Now a little north of Seattle...that might be workable. Unfortunatly in that other nation.
This is clearly your opinion. But not everyone feels this way. Some prefer snow to sun, other's gray over clear skies. I agree the OP would prefer Vegas over Seattle, Rochester or elsewhere. Not everyone, though.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:23 PM

787 posts, read 1,780,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Why do we so love to exaggerate the Las Vegas temperature...
I think people are using their home or car thermometers, not the official temp at McCarran. I know my car therm read above 115 for several days last July, while, as you note, the official highest temp last summer was 113.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:41 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,606,887 times
I'm to the point that anything below 105 is tolerable. However it's splitting hairs when you talk about anything over 110. It's freakin' hot and that's that. I was in Phoenix when they hit 122 and I'm telling you it's all the same over 110.

I have lived here for 10 years now, I know not longer than most, but it seems like July and August often get close to that 110 or even over.

Yes some years we might get a break and get the monsoon weather but I think it would be safe to say July and August are dang hot. And that's not exaggerating.

It's really not that big of a deal...we have AC, find a pool somewhere and cool off. I'm actually looking forward to summer this year.

"Pat yourselves on your sunburned backs, Las Vegans. You just lived through the hottest month ever. The high reached triple digits every day in July, and the heat hung on through the night to push last month into record territory."

"Another record set last month: For six days -- five of them in a row -- the temperature never dropped below 90."

July was Las Vegas' HOTTEST month EVER - News - ReviewJournal.com

Old 01-24-2011, 03:49 PM

147 posts, read 410,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
I guess everything is relative though. New York city would not even be in the top 20 in China.

... Shanghai is the most populous city in China. 9,495,701 people.

New York City - 19,750,000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas