Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 09:39 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,450,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robustus View Post
All of South Carolina is Section8?
S. Carolina will have a different set of indicators. Look for residents drinking beverages from mason jars and Long John Silver's refuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 10:57 PM

80 posts, read 151,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
This is just a thought of mine...and correct me if you think differently, and why you might.

But, as much as I like cities, it always seems that there is a possibility that the city itself can always go to hell. So what might be good and very good now in the city of Las Vegas, could change in the future. (Also, take in mind that my home state is Michigan with Detroit - i.e. many midwest cities, the suburbs around them always seem to remain healthy, with city services within the city limits tend to get bogged down and it becomes very unhealthy).

Nontheless, I've sometimes thought that being that much of Las Vegas city and much of Henderson looks very similar to each other. In fact, you can hardly tell them apart really. But, since Henderson has it's own services and police and under it's own jurisdiction, it might have longer longevity.

Does it therefore seem 'safer' in the long-run, that Henderson as a whole will ultimately fare better than Las Vegas as a whole, if cities with major city jurisdiction, as they are possible to do, seem to go also go down much further much quicker than their suburban neighbors?

What d'you think?
A very trustworthy realtor who has lived here a very long time and is a good friend told me once the only way to solve the problems that you are concerned about is to keep moving to the edge of town. At one time, I suppose that was theoretically possible, since the valley was growing so fast. That is not the case anymore. Just move away from the metro area as far as you feel comfortable whether it be Las Vegas, Henderson, Summerlin (Las Vegas) and hope for the best. Contrary to what JFKIII said, it doesn't seem to go in cycles here. I have been here many decades and have not seen what he is talking about. I doubt that he has lived here that long. I know I will get slammed for saying this, since he considers himself the expert, and since I'm originally from OK do not know anything. But I have been in Vegas since there were 60,000 people here. I have seen how Vegas has progressed through the decades. Some of the very old "very rich neighborhoods" are not desirable anymore. When Vegas starting going downhill was when every Tom, Dick and Harry came here to find work and get rich. Many people did and then took the money and ran. The less desirables stayed, thus the run-down neighborhoods. Las Vegas doesn't really have surburbs.............it's all "the valley." Good luck in whatever you do.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:33 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,520,680 times
...never have lived there. no expert. no slamming.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:22 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,341,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
There is land that the BLM will allow to be taken out of BLM custody. Mostly by auction. There are also ways that cities can acquire land including specific acts of Congress. There are also very hard boundaries that are not yielded.
Just curious... how much truth is there to the rumor that many of the people who move to the Las Vegas areas work in fields or businesses where they can choose their location (i.e. work from home, just need to rent some space anywhere, etc.)? I've heard that this is one reason people are not as reluctant to move to LV despite the weak Economy, b/c they can just continue what they were doing in their previous locale. If I had that option, LV would be very high on my list as well!

Old 12-16-2010, 10:30 PM

848 posts, read 1,725,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmgirlok View Post
Some of the very old "very rich neighborhoods" are not desirable anymore.
The area around Valley View/Alta/Charleston/Oakey/Rancho still have lots of old money people. Homes are still nice and surrounded by mature trees. An old friend's family still lives around the area on Alta. The homes there are nice but outside of the area it has gone down and yes the undesirables have moved in.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:36 PM

787 posts, read 1,777,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Just curious... how much truth is there to the rumor that many of the people who move to the Las Vegas areas work in fields or businesses where they can choose their location (i.e. work from home, just need to rent some space anywhere, etc.)? I've heard that this is one reason people are not as reluctant to move to LV despite the weak Economy, b/c they can just continue what they were doing in their previous locale. If I had that option, LV would be very high on my list as well!
Me and my fiancee are two of those people. We moved to LV in October. Two friends of ours also work from home and moved to LV in Nov 2009. I work in software development. I've worked with a number of Vegas-based developers who can also be anywhere but have explicitly chosen LV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas