Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 04:18 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,867,246 times

Advertisements

A lot of people I know are dumping cable and going with OTA plus NetFlix. I couldn't do it, too addicted to Food Network, DIY Network, SpeedTV, BBC America, History Channel, and Bravo (Top Chef).

As long as you aren't in the shadow of the hills the transmitters are on, a simple pair of sub-$20 rabbit ears is enough to receive OTA HD in the valley. Kinda hard to imagine a viable business built on that, unless you can find a lot of ignorant TV viewers who you can take advantage of.

TVfool.com can probably tell you the information for free that you think is worth $50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 05:19 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,052,656 times
I don't live close to the mountains and I can get NOTHING OTA. Why? I don't know and I don't want to waste any more money buying equipment that may or may not work for me.

That's one of the reasons I think this would be a huge success.

I'd also like to know what cell service would work at my house.

I think I live in some kind of signal dead zone!

Old 02-23-2011, 07:17 PM

787 posts, read 1,777,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
A lot of people I know are dumping cable and going with OTA plus NetFlix. I couldn't do it, too addicted to Food Network, DIY Network, SpeedTV, BBC America, History Channel, and Bravo (Top Chef).
Yup. I just buy internet from Cox and do Netflix and Hulu+ via Roku. Saves over $500/yr, and I get everything on-demand, plus tons of movies. There are obviously trade-offs, but it's a totally viable option.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:42 PM

241 posts, read 492,527 times
A megaupload account & some nice indexing sites like sidereel.com are all you need...

Old 02-23-2011, 11:34 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,867,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I don't live close to the mountains and I can get NOTHING OTA. Why? I don't know and I don't want to waste any more money buying equipment that may or may not work for me.

That's one of the reasons I think this would be a huge success.
As long as you're not obstructed, and not in the shadow of Black Mtn, you should be able to receive a strong signal. Antenna aiming on UHF can be tricky though, a few degrees can make the difference between a strong signal and zero signal. VHF seems to be less sensitive, and that's where the four major networks are located.

I'm on the west side of town and I get 100/100 with unamplified rabbit ears. I'm pretty good at aiming an antenna though.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:56 AM

2,457 posts, read 4,726,615 times
Holy thread resurrection Batman. It looks like somebody is now running with Yellowsnow idea. http://www.mrantenna.com/?gclid=CMq32eKn9asCFW7ftgodx1pp6Q I just saw the ad running on This TV network.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:08 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,004,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post
Holy thread resurrection Batman. It looks like somebody is now running with Yellowsnow idea. http://www.mrantenna.com/?gclid=CMq32eKn9asCFW7ftgodx1pp6Q I just saw the ad running on This TV network.
I hate it when that happens. I've had plenty of ideas like that, and not the capital to do it (and also an aversion to risk -- some of these hairbrained schemes are just that)

What *I* want is a cable/dish system where I can select the dozen or so channels we watch, and only pay for those channels.

Why the **** am I paying for Telemundo and CSPAN (and dozens and dozens more) when I will never, ever, watch them?

Old 10-19-2011, 01:09 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,374,099 times
Compelling ain't it? I'm thinking about it, but have been hooked on some of the cable stations. Then there is the phone and internet hook-up from Cox to consider. But I find most of my viewing is from over the air stations, and having worked in broadcast TV most of my life, I have always hated cable for not only screwing broadcast stations whenever they could, but for taking so much out of the community and not giving anything back. Former fellow Ch-3 employee, Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeve Shore, at Cox Cable, has changed some of that though.

BTW: 38 local stations? When did that happen?

Old 10-19-2011, 01:22 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,726,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Compelling ain't it? I'm thinking about it, but have been hooked on some of the cable stations. Then there is the phone and internet hook-up from Cox to consider. But I find most of my viewing is from over the air stations, and having worked in broadcast TV most of my life, I have always hated cable for not only screwing broadcast stations whenever they could, but for taking so much out of the community and not giving anything back. Former fellow Ch-3 employee, Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeve Shore, at Cox Cable, has changed some of that though.

BTW: 38 local stations? When did that happen?

Every month when I pay the bill I go through the same thing. Untill the phone company can provide a stable and enough bandwith I need for a internet connection. I will continue to stay with Cox. With the local broadcasters and their digital subs. Thirty Eight channels sounds about right.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:52 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,374,099 times
I just saw Centurylink hooking up my new neighbor. Has anyone recently compared them to Cox? I like the idea of whole house DVR, and being able to record (I almost said 'tape) four shows at once. But the internet would have to be at least as fast as Cox, and the price lower, or at least no higher than Cox for me to switch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: