Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 11:40 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
I believe there was a class action suit that had VoA agreeing to provide programming instructions for third parties to program the keys. So now, you can buy a blank flip key from a third party vendor and take it to an independent locksmith to have it programmed. It's usually much less expensive doing it this way than to take it to a VW dealer.

You can buy a blank flip key from an internet vendor for much less than a dealer. Just for illustration purposes, here's a 2004 Passat flip key for $78.95:

https://www.ikeyless.com/vehicles/Vo...t/2004/1000504
i will agree that you have the key programmed, but i'm under the impression that you need the computer of the vehicle flashed also.... i had a beetle a few years back and had to have the damn thing (sorry) towed to the dealer...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 11:55 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,050,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
i will agree that you have the key programmed, but i'm under the impression that you need the computer of the vehicle flashed also.... i had a beetle a few years back and had to have the damn thing (sorry) towed to the dealer...
I don't think so unless it's something new. I had the dealer make me an Audi flip key several years ago and they did it without the car being there. Maybe the newer cars have to have a brand new code for each? In my case, the immobilizer encryption on the car-side didn't change so the only thing that had to be programmed was the key.

ETA: Now that I think about it more, the car was there but I didn't see what they did with the car. I only saw them fumbling around with the keys but as I think about it some more, the transponder in the new key will have to be programmed to the immobilizer so I don't believe there is any flashing involved. I believe there is a procedure the owner can follow to do this once the key is programmed but the locksmith programming the key should have that knowledge to do it if the car is there and if the car isn't there, you can do it yourself with the proper instructions. However, the main thing here is to try to avoid the dealer's high cost for doing all this and even if the car has to be flashed, it still can be done by an independent shop or somebody with a VAG-com. Now the brand new keyless stuff is another story, I'd guess.

Last edited by scirocco22; 10-16-2010 at 12:50 AM..

Old 10-16-2010, 10:17 PM

154 posts, read 357,379 times
You can also go to Passat World Forums. There is where I learned to program a flip key for my car about a year ago. Battery replacement skills also available. Ahhhh..so grateful for nice people on the internet!!

Old 10-16-2010, 10:18 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Yes, the car has to be reprogrammed too. Has something to do with an antitheft device they started using in 2000. A harnesssomethingorother has to be pulled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas