Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 03:21 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,996,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdreloc View Post
Ruku is the cheapest and easiest way for Netflix on a TV at $59 including remote.
Unless you were going to buy a game console and Blu-Ray player anyway, the PS3 is pricey at $299. Don't forget you also need to add the cost of buying a special remote control or a special adapter to make a PS3 work with a universal remote or it will be that much more clunky and complicated to use as a media player.

If you want a dead simple and cheap Netflix player, Roku is best.
PS3 is actually really easy to use (the controller), you can even turn the system off with the actual controller, so there is no need to buy a universal. It also acts as a blue ray player and doesn't charge to go online (xbox 360 does).

The main difference between Roku and PS3 is the ability to search movies on Netflix through the PS3. You can search by title, genre, recommended etc. The Roku only has your instant queue list, so if you think of a movie you want to watch, you have to go online and find the movie, add it to your instant queue, then finally refresh your Roku. Roku is the cheapest method, but like I said the PS3 does a lot, even if you don't play any games.

I want to try Apple TV. I haven't met anyone with it yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 08:43 AM

1,376 posts, read 3,084,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
PS3 is actually really easy to use (the controller), you can even turn the system off with the actual controller, so there is no need to buy a universal. It also acts as a blue ray player and doesn't charge to go online (xbox 360 does).
If you're going to spend the money on a PS3 an extra $25 for the BlueRay remote is worth it. If not, as quoted, the controller is easy enough to use for basic functions.

Dont forget the PS3 is a pretty good media center, not as good as a dedicated HTPC, but being able to stream all your media, browse the web, and kill 13 yr olds on COD makes it a worthwhile system.

Im a fan, I have 4 of em.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:50 AM

399 posts, read 1,026,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post

The main difference between Roku and PS3 is the ability to search movies on Netflix through the PS3. You can search by title, genre, recommended etc. The Roku only has your instant queue list, so if you think of a movie you want to watch, you have to go online and find the movie, add it to your instant queue, then finally refresh your Roku. Roku is the cheapest method, but like I said the PS3 does a lot, even if you don't play any games.

I want to try Apple TV. I haven't met anyone with it yet.

Netflix search has been available on Roku for several months. You do not have to go to a PC and add movies to the instant queue anymore.
If you are not watching Blu-Rays and gaming, the Roku will just be more simple to deal with.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:03 PM

699 posts, read 2,220,500 times
we had netflix on snail mail, 1 at a time. it was cool, but after awhile, we just couldn't watch more than 9 films a month thru the mail. we don't have a box to stream, and we weren't interested in laying out cash for it.
our biggest problem with netflix is that we don't have an option to rent widescreen films, which, in our humble opinion, is the only way to watch a film. the next gripe about netflix is that their website is severely lacking info. we couldn't find ANY price for the blueray membership as we were considering whether to buy a blueray DVD player. our regular DVD player is about to die. lastly, when we cancelled our account, we got an exit survey that only offered preset options to answer their, "why are you leaving?" questions. and of course, none said, "Lack of Widescreen".

We will not buy a game system. We don't game. Besides, we have had an atari system, nintendo, sega genisis in our lifetimes, and when we think of how much money we have spent on game systems, it wasn't worth it. been there, done that, not going to do it again.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe2ofus View Post
we had netflix on snail mail, 1 at a time. it was cool, but after awhile, we just couldn't watch more than 9 films a month thru the mail. we don't have a box to stream, and we weren't interested in laying out cash for it.
our biggest problem with netflix is that we don't have an option to rent widescreen films, which, in our humble opinion, is the only way to watch a film. the next gripe about netflix is that their website is severely lacking info. we couldn't find ANY price for the blueray membership as we were considering whether to buy a blueray DVD player. our regular DVD player is about to die. lastly, when we cancelled our account, we got an exit survey that only offered preset options to answer their, "why are you leaving?" questions. and of course, none said, "Lack of Widescreen".

We will not buy a game system. We don't game. Besides, we have had an atari system, nintendo, sega genisis in our lifetimes, and when we think of how much money we have spent on game systems, it wasn't worth it. been there, done that, not going to do it again.
Blu-Ray is $2 to $8 extra per month depending on how many discs you have out at a time and then you automatically have widescreen. Netflix: Rent as many movies as you want for only $8.99 a month! Free Trial
Many Blu-Ray players have built-in Netflix streaming and then you have both the Blu-Ray and streaming all in one box.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:01 PM

699 posts, read 2,220,500 times
Quote:
Blu-Ray is $2 to $8 extra per month depending on how many discs you have out at a time and then you automatically have widescreen. Netflix: Rent as many movies as you want for only $8.99 a month! Free Trial
Many Blu-Ray players have built-in Netflix streaming and then you have both the Blu-Ray and streaming all in one box.
thanks for the link. at the time we had it, which was in May 2010, that page did not exist.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:57 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,371,558 times
Couple of questions: What is the disk for? and, can you watch Hulu, Amazon, and other such services that are on the computer with the PS3?

Old 11-07-2010, 12:06 PM

You can watch Hulu "Plus" with a PS3 starting next week. Hulu Plus has part of the content on the free Hulu.com web site plus some different older content. It is $10 per month. You cannot watch free Hulu.com with the PS3.
You get discs so you can watch DVDs sent through the mail for all the movies not available for streaming.
There is no supported way to watch Amazon video streaming on a PS3.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:28 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,371,558 times
Quote:
You can watch Hulu "Plus" with a PS3 starting next week. Hulu Plus has part of the content on the free Hulu.com web site plus some different older content. It is $10 per month. You cannot watch free Hulu.com with the PS3.
You get disks so you can watch DVDs sent through the mail for all the movies not available for streaming.
There is no supported way to watch Amazon video streaming on a PS3.
Oh, you're talking about a DVD movie. Somebody said you get a free disk from Netflix and I thought it was program you need to install in order to use it for movies via WiFi.

Do you know if Apple TV or any of the other systems get other streaming video via WiFi from your computer? For instance, can I watch anything on my TV that I can watch on my computer with a WiFi receiver connected to the TV, and if so, which system do I need? Or do I need more than one system?

Old 11-07-2010, 03:39 PM

293 posts, read 641,900 times
We got the Roku box when it 1st came out for $99, and have gotton our money back and more. At think at present, we have about 200 movies/shows on it. You have to watch the suggestions they give you though, we found a couple of movies like a documentary about "Deep Throat" and another movie called This girls life which is about a internet sex woman which is full of sex and nudity. We have 3 kids that use it all day and that was a little worrisome. I like it because I was able to get the MLB package.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas