Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 12:38 PM

762 posts, read 1,561,544 times

Advertisements

Banfield is not like anyother place. HORRIBLE, NO CONSIDERATION FOR THE ANIMAL OR BUDGET, INFERIOR CARE, OVERSELLING, and the list goes on. AVOID any Banfield
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 04:16 PM

92 posts, read 184,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
Just about very animal hospital in the valley has people who love and hate it. My wife is a vet and has worked at several hospitals in the valley, that's why I rarely recommend any hospitals.

Banfield is a cookie cutter corporate shop that hires a lot of new grads. Many vets look down on Banfield, but really just like any other clinic, it's not so much about the hospital, but the individual vet who is treating your animal. Banfield is heavily commission/production oriented (yes, if you didn't know, most vets are on some type of commission/production pay schedule).

It was smart to get the distended abdomen checked out. That can be GDV, which is an emergency life threatening disease if not treated very quickly. Anything like this, you can expect the vet to order bloodwork and x-rays, they can't diagnose without at least that info.

I can't speak to $950 for getting the distended abdomen checked out, but $650 for a dental is not unheard of. Dental extractions need to be done by a vet and that pricing isn't included in the base price. Unless you're getting your pet's teeth cleaned very regularly (depending on breed, small dogs need it more often) then they will need extractions. Most people get their pet's teeth cleaned like every 5 years and often times they need a lot of extractions unless your pet has great teeth or you're brushing them regularly.
You know, I don't mind spending whatever I need to on the dogs. I just didn't feel for sure like I wasn't getting ripped off. I need to have vets that I at least halfway trust, and perhaps a smaller clinic where I know the vets and don't get a different one every time. I just had a bad feeling. And my dogs are older, and to be honest, I need to find a caring vet because this will probably be the one with whom we deal with "end of life issues." If a vet that I trust says it'll be $950 to check it out, I'm OK (if unhappily broke) with it. But Banfield just gave me a funny feeling...

PS--what's GDV? Whatever she had, it seems to be gone now. She's feeling better anyway and eating and pooping. Which seems to be the most important things in a dog's life.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:20 PM

92 posts, read 184,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skisickie View Post
Banfield is not like anyother place. HORRIBLE, NO CONSIDERATION FOR THE ANIMAL OR BUDGET, INFERIOR CARE, OVERSELLING, and the list goes on. AVOID any Banfield
Yikes! Nothing like feeding my paranoia! I actually felt that the fact that I was sniveling like a baby over my dog encouraged them to order more tests. Although, the vet herself seemed very nice. I just didn't like the way they did things. You talk to the vet, the vet examines your animal and leaves. Then they send the assistant in with the "estimate". And you have to decide what all of the things are, etc. Just seemed more like an oil change place in some sort of way...

Old 10-04-2010, 04:51 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skisickie View Post
Banfield is not like any other place. HORRIBLE, NO CONSIDERATION FOR THE ANIMAL OR BUDGET, INFERIOR CARE, OVERSELLING, and the list goes on. AVOID any Banfield
I totally agree. And those "assistants' at Banfield that are supposed to up-sell you on treatments your dog doesn't need are the most ignorant people on the planet.

My dogs have always gotten the best care at small, independent clinics like South Shores, and Pecos and Russell animal hospitals. They love Dr. Suzuki at South Shores, and Dr. Paetz at Pecos and Russell is the most caring vet I've ever known. If the doctors at South Shores weren't so good, I'd make the long drive across town to see Dr. Paetz for sure.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:44 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,071,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailMI View Post
You know, I don't mind spending whatever I need to on the dogs. I just didn't feel for sure like I wasn't getting ripped off. I need to have vets that I at least halfway trust, and perhaps a smaller clinic where I know the vets and don't get a different one every time. I just had a bad feeling. And my dogs are older, and to be honest, I need to find a caring vet because this will probably be the one with whom we deal with "end of life issues." If a vet that I trust says it'll be $950 to check it out, I'm OK (if unhappily broke) with it. But Banfield just gave me a funny feeling...

PS--what's GDV? Whatever she had, it seems to be gone now. She's feeling better anyway and eating and pooping. Which seems to be the most important things in a dog's life.
GDV is basically where the stomach twists similar to tying itself in a knot and blocks anything from leaving the gut, which is why it gets distended. It's not that common, but if it does happen, it needs to be treated immediately or the animal will die.

Glad to hear your doggy is doing better. Sorry it cost you $950 to find that out.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:58 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,071,283 times
Although I know this won't be well received, I've gotta write it anyways.

The reality is that the type of interaction you're describing is that exact same that you get from a human MD. Things will have to move more and more towards this in order for veterinary medicine to continue to survive.

They are on my wife (and every other doctor at her clinic) every single month about numbers. The standard is that vets are expected to gross 5x their gross salary for the clinic. So if she is earning 50k a year, she needs to gross 250k a year for the clinic. If she isn't earning that then she is expected to work more hours, charge for more things that you might have gotten for free before (like ear cleanings, nail trims, mostly small stuff), or take a pay cut.

My wife is expected to see around 15-20 patients per day. Quick stuff like vaccines are allotted 15 minutes. More complex stuff is given 30 minutes. On top of that she has to return phone calls, interpret labs, and write charts. 55-65 hours a week in the office is not uncommon. All that will earn you a median salary of around 75k a year. That may not sound too bad, but you spent 8 years and at least 125k on just vet school to earn that salary.

The vets want to spend more time with your pets, but they have to put food on the table too. In the equation of [clients seen] x [average charge] you either have to charge more or see more patients. Nobody likes either of those options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailMI View Post
You talk to the vet, the vet examines your animal and leaves. Then they send the assistant in with the "estimate". And you have to decide what all of the things are, etc. Just seemed more like an oil change place in some sort of way...

Old 01-24-2011, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,163 times
I, too, need some very low cost veterinary treatment. My son's cat has been treated for an infected cyst sort of a thing at the vet's in Southern Hills. They want around $800 to remove it and my son does NOT have the money. They had him in tears today telling him to have the surgery done or to have the cat put down. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 01-24-2011, 04:13 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
Although I know this won't be well received, I've gotta write it anyways.

The reality is that the type of interaction you're describing is that exact same that you get from a human MD. Things will have to move more and more towards this in order for veterinary medicine to continue to survive.

They are on my wife (and every other doctor at her clinic) every single month about numbers. The standard is that vets are expected to gross 5x their gross salary for the clinic. So if she is earning 50k a year, she needs to gross 250k a year for the clinic. If she isn't earning that then she is expected to work more hours, charge for more things that you might have gotten for free before (like ear cleanings, nail trims, mostly small stuff), or take a pay cut.

My wife is expected to see around 15-20 patients per day. Quick stuff like vaccines are allotted 15 minutes. More complex stuff is given 30 minutes. On top of that she has to return phone calls, interpret labs, and write charts. 55-65 hours a week in the office is not uncommon. All that will earn you a median salary of around 75k a year. That may not sound too bad, but you spent 8 years and at least 125k on just vet school to earn that salary.

The vets want to spend more time with your pets, but they have to put food on the table too. In the equation of [clients seen] x [average charge] you either have to charge more or see more patients. Nobody likes either of those options.
Seriously, I applaud you for telling it the way it is!

It's all about justifying your salary and the veterinary equivalent of 'billable hours'.

Meanwhile, I have heard good things about Ann Road Veterinary Clinic and their costs are pretty reasonable. I would urge you to get this done as soon as possible. I lost a beautiful Great Dane at less than 2 years old due to squamous cell carcinoma that started as a small bleeding growth.

Best of luck to you and your pup!

Old 01-24-2011, 04:43 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
we go to Camino El Norte animal hospital (Dr. Johnston), which is the sister hospital for Ann Road. I only have good things to say (except for the new receptionist who is not very customer orientated)

Old 01-24-2011, 08:38 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judy62849 View Post
I, too, need some very low cost veterinary treatment. My son's cat has been treated for an infected cyst sort of a thing at the vet's in Southern Hills. They want around $800 to remove it and my son does NOT have the money. They had him in tears today telling him to have the surgery done or to have the cat put down. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
If you are shopping only by price due to your sons financial situation you might want to call Ark animal hospital out in the NW...I have no personal experience with them other than knowing they were MUCH less expensive than many of the other clinics in the area.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas