Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 08:59 PM

326 posts, read 1,372,429 times

Advertisements

If by dangerous due to weather I would say Mead or Lake Powell. If they are talking about drunk boaters then it would be Lake Havasu. I've been caught out by the weather at Mead and it can get nasty quickly. My biggest concern however are the rental PWC's and small bowriders hired out to inexperienced operators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 03:01 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,374,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Quicksand! I'd like to hear a bit more about that...

Is that common out around Lake Mead?
No not common. You'd probably never find it. Duck & goose hunting, we used to rent boats at Overton Landing and head over around the bend where the Virgin empties into the lake. We could only get in so far before getting stuck in the mud, then we'd wade ashore. I got caught in quick sand there while wearing waders. It's a helpless feeling, especially in water up above your waist. Once your feet sink in it's hard to pull them out, especially with heavy waders on, and with water seeping inside those. But it's not like in the jungle movies where you're walking along a trail and step in a quick sand hole that looks a lot like wet sawdust and it pulls you under. That's Hollywood.

Once while hiking on the sand dunes barefooted we came upon a sidewinder trail. They scooch down in the sand with only their nose sticking out, so stepping on one barefooted would be more excitement than I'd ever want.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:55 PM

159 posts, read 360,104 times
Thanks for this post. My boyfriend (and I think even the realtor) can't seem to comprehend my desire for a house with its own pool. I actually used not wanting to drown in Lake Mead as an excuse. Now I can show them this post !!!

Old 09-13-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidnomad View Post
Thanks for this post. My boyfriend (and I think even the realtor) can't seem to comprehend my desire for a house with its own pool. I actually used not wanting to drown in Lake Mead as an excuse. Now I can show them this post !!!
That's a whole other subject that has been discussed on here before. IMHO a pool is a hole that you pour money into, and way too much work unless you really, really enjoy swimming everyday.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:52 PM

159 posts, read 360,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
That's a whole other subject that has been discussed on here before. IMHO a pool is a hole that you pour money into, and way too much work unless you really, really enjoy swimming everyday.
I'll have to look it up on here.

And btw, I do enjoy swimming, at least every other to every two days. Right around midnight.

If I could find a community with a reasonable HOA and a resort style pool that didn't shut down before ten pm and stayed open all year long, I'd be on it. As to that, my realtor says, "Forget about it!"

Old 09-15-2010, 10:01 PM

369 posts, read 772,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
Yummy!
Just remember what all those fish are doing in there making baby fish!

Old 09-15-2010, 11:00 PM

402 posts, read 1,529,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 license to sell View Post
I haven't heard that, the most important thing is that is our water supply and it's dropping.

Here are some articles from the news paper that covers some of those issues causing the shortage and what is being done about it.

Nevada shaped by fans of air conditioning

By Abigail Goldman
They blasted dynamite holes in the ground to plant trees. The desert was too hard for shovels, but they needed the shade. This was Las Vegas before air conditioning. The trees were an early thermal coercion now quaint and crazy as the rest.

As you may or may not know Vegas gets it's water from Colorado and Lake Meade which we get our water from has been going down. In order to continue to get water to the Vegas Valley the state has been looking for other sources of water. This article will expound on this and give you an idea what is going on to ensure that the Vegas valley will continue to get water.

Dual win claimed in water fight

The Nevada Supreme Court on Thursday reversed its earlier ruling that could have derailed a multibillion-dollar water...

Here's the latest on what Nevada is doing to try to keep water flowing to Vegas.
May. 19, 2010
Copyright © Las Vegas Review-Journal

Workers to begin underwater blasting at Lake Mead site

Pit to be excavated where water intake tower will be placed

"When the project is finished in early 2013, the authority's so-called "third straw" will keep water flowing to Las Vegas despite drought and shortages on the Colorado River that could force one of the two existing intakes to shut down."

Workers to begin underwater blasting at Lake Mead site - News - ReviewJournal.com

Water halts lake tunnel work

A cavern that took two years to excavate has unexpectedly filled with water, halting underground work on the new water intake pipeline under construction at Lake Mead. Project officials were assessing the damage...
I hope you find these articles informative.

While it's true we are in the midst of a decade long drought, why is Lake Mead so much lower than other Colorado River watersheds? Mismanagement? Or is it a scare tactic to drain rural counties of their water?

Old 09-16-2010, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uli2000 View Post
While it's true we are in the midst of a decade long drought, why is Lake Mead so much lower than other Colorado River watersheds? Mismanagement? Or is it a scare tactic to drain rural counties of their water?
There is a lot of politics involved. I've wondered about that too. After all why can't we get some of Lake Powell's water? In fact why don't they just blow up the Glen Canyon Dam like the environmentalists want them to?

Old 09-16-2010, 05:31 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,513,769 times
Dam environmentalists!

Old 09-16-2010, 07:55 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,265,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
No not common. You'd probably never find it. Duck & goose hunting, we used to rent boats at Overton Landing and head over around the bend where the Virgin empties into the lake. We could only get in so far before getting stuck in the mud, then we'd wade ashore. I got caught in quick sand there while wearing waders. It's a helpless feeling, especially in water up above your waist. Once your feet sink in it's hard to pull them out, especially with heavy waders on, and with water seeping inside those. But it's not like in the jungle movies where you're walking along a trail and step in a quick sand hole that looks a lot like wet sawdust and it pulls you under. That's Hollywood.

Once while hiking on the sand dunes barefooted we came upon a sidewinder trail. They scooch down in the sand with only their nose sticking out, so stepping on one barefooted would be more excitement than I'd ever want.
We went up to Lake Mead/Boulder Beach last Saturday. I kept getting stuck in the mud really unpleasant my daughter enjoyed it though. Loved seeing the bighorn sheep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas