Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 10:02 AM

6 posts, read 17,907 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
Tricky question for all the property managment experts. Here is my situation...I rent a home in the Northwest area, i am in the lease for 2 yrs, I have been living there about a year so far. We haven't had any major issues with the house or landlord(actually i've only talked to him once since moving in). So the other day when i got home i opened the garage door and it wouldn't open..one of the spring snapped, so we can no longer use our garage and have to park in the drive, which i hate because there has been alot of break-ins in the area recently. My problem is this..My landlord lives in spain and his daughter used to be our emergency contact for issues, since she was in the area. I just found out that she no longer lives in Vegas so she is no help. I contacted our landlord through email(our only mode of communication since the time difference) 3 days ago and i haven't heard anything from him as to whether someone is going to come fix it or anything. How long does a landlord have to respond to issues? Is there anything i can do, i am not paying for a garage door when it broke due to wear and tear(btw it was installed improperly to begin with before i moved in). Also he does not have a property mgr for this property if that was going to be anyones suggestion lol. Any info will help..i just want to get this fixed if i have any rights at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 10:33 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,129,983 times
guess youre in DEEP Spanish caca.....

If he doesnt respond fix it and deduct from rent....then prepare for eviction....and then stonewall him cause he is required to have a property manager if he lives more then 60 miles away

Old 08-27-2010, 10:40 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,030,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sra_jdavis View Post
So the other day when i got home i opened the garage door and it wouldn't open..one of the spring snapped, so we can no longer use our garage and have to park in the drive, which i hate because there has been alot of break-ins in the area recently.
I can't help you with your landlord problem, but I may be able to help with the garage door issue. Assuming you have an automatic garage door opener, there should be a cord hanging down from the motor in the center of the garage or near the door itself. If you pull down on the cord, that will release the door from the opener apparatus and you should be able to open and close the garage door manually without too much effort. But once you do so, you also need to keep in mind that you'll have to manually lock and unlock the door as well since otherwise anyone would be able to open it too.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:44 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,403,737 times
I would give him a few days to respond, then if he doesn't send him another e-mail telling him that you will have the door repaired, scan and e-mail him the invoice, and deduct it from your rent. While you're at it politely remind him of the statute that requires him to have a local property manager.

Try to be sure that the repairman details the problem along with the fix, on that receipt such as "spring rusted, broke due to age" or something like that.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:03 AM

Kona Kat,
Do you know what that statute is or where i could find it? About having a property manager. Thanks

Old 08-27-2010, 11:29 AM

687 posts, read 1,946,241 times
You won't be able to open and close the door manually if a spring is broken. I agree with some of the other replies. Just have it repaired and send him the invoice - deduct it from the rent. I wouldn't call him out on the legality of having a property manager. You're doing him a favor by taking care of the problem yourself. He won't evict you, if you have been paying your rent on time.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:45 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,222,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sra_jdavis View Post
Kona Kat,
Do you know what that statute is or where i could find it? About having a property manager. Thanks

NRS 118A.260 Disclosure of names and addresses of managers and owners; emergency telephone number; service of process.

1. The landlord, or any person authorized to enter into a rental agreement on his or her behalf, shall disclose to the tenant in writing at or before the commencement of the tenancy:

(a) The name and address of:

(1) The persons authorized to manage the premises;

(2) A person within this State authorized to act for and on behalf of the landlord for the purpose of service of process and receiving notices and demands; and

(3) The principal or corporate owner.

(b) A telephone number at which a responsible person who resides in the county or within 60 miles of where the premises are located may be called in case of emergency.

2. The information required to be furnished by this section must be kept current, and this section is enforceable against any successor landlord or manager of the premises.

3. A party who enters into a rental agreement on behalf of the landlord and fails to comply with this section is an agent of the landlord for purposes of:

(a) Service of process and receiving notices and demands; and

(b) Performing the obligations of the landlord under law and under the rental agreement.

4. In any action against a landlord which involves his or her rental property, service of process upon the manager of the property or a person described in paragraph (a) of subsection 1 shall be deemed to be service upon the landlord. The obligations of the landlord devolve upon the persons authorized to enter into a rental agreement on his or her behalf.

5. This section does not limit or remove the liability of an undisclosed landlord.

Fix it and send the invoice then deduct from the rent. Life is too short for hassles. Don't worry about it unless the LL reacts badly. Mostly the LL will be glad.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:54 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,030,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croce View Post
You won't be able to open and close the door manually if a spring is broken.
Well, I've had it happen to me at a previous house and I was able to open and close the garage manually.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:57 PM

Thanks for the help everyone, I called around and got a quote to fix it, so if the ll doesn't respond soon i'll pay to replace it and send him the invoice and my deduct it for next months rent. I won't worry bout the property managment thing but it is good to know that i could say something if other issues arise

Old 08-27-2010, 02:06 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,878,235 times
This is the time of year (mid august) when most of Europe is on vacation ("on holiday"). From a business perspective, when I worked in multinational corporations, trying to get something done (or even an email reply) in August was always very difficult -- close to impossible.

It is possible your Spanish landlord is on vacation and unreachable rather than being a jerk.

If it were me, I would get a couple quotes & fix it & deduct it & send him scanned images of the invoice etc.

I suggest not having an amateur replace a spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas