Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 01:03 AM

36 posts, read 126,124 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, what do y'all know about working for Zappos? I read reviews on glassdoor.com, but I wanted some additional insight. I saw a job on their website and am very interested in applying. The downside, however, is that it pays $13/hr. I'm used to being on a super tight budget, but can a single person in a 1br apt. live on that in LV?

Thanks, all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 01:22 AM

54 posts, read 121,872 times
Most definitely! My uncle, who is single, is on $14/hr and gets to rent a 1-bed apartment for $550 south of the strip (in Silverado Ranch) near his place of work. His other expenses: utilities, car insurance, food, gambling. Doesn't go out on dates though, so that might make a difference.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:33 AM

Thanks, good to know! I'm from oklahoma and I know you can live on that here, as it's easy to live a "simple" life here, but I wasn't for sure what the cost of living is in LV for locals. And, no dates? He's a smart guy, lol!!

Everyone, please weigh in, especially if you have insight about Zappos.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:50 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,273,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heygirlhey View Post
Hey guys, what do y'all know about working for Zappos? I read reviews on glassdoor.com, but I wanted some additional insight. I saw a job on their website and am very interested in applying. The downside, however, is that it pays $13/hr. I'm used to being on a super tight budget, but can a single person in a 1br apt. live on that in LV?

Thanks, all.
You most definitely can. I only make $9.50 an hour and do just fine. I share a place which cuts expenses dramatically.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:52 AM

54 posts, read 121,872 times
NP, good luck. Oh I also forgot to mention his $100 monthly wireless bill.

Him not dating = hefty savings account :P

Old 08-16-2010, 11:58 AM

322 posts, read 710,932 times
Be sure you get the job first. Zappo's is a tough gig to get hired at.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:05 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,066,529 times
It wouldn't be easy. You won't have a lot of fun money but it can be done.

Here's the good thing. Zappos is a large employer here and if you are a hard worker, there will probably be opportunities for advancement. More than if you were working as a server/restaurant/general retail type work.

Electric is high here and you have to have it in the summer. Now is a good time to move. Only a few more weeks of really hot weather. Save during the winter so you won't be floored by the electric in the summer.

It's expensive to own/drive a car here and yet it's hard to do without one. Insurance is high and so is registration. Check prices on these so you can build a realistic budget.

Find a way to live close to work with access to shopping as well. Best of luck.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:42 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,573,917 times
You absolutely can live on that amount. If it was me, I would spring for a 2 bedroom and get a roommate though. It is no surprise that in all honesty some of the happiest people don't make too much or have too much. Living by using and buying only what you >need< can be a real eye opener.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone! I really appreciate your time and honesty! I think Zappos is a pretty cool company from what I've read about them. They seem to be pretty good about promoting from within. I think if I moved, my sister would come with me and we'd have a two bedroom.

Oh, and good to know about the electric bill; I wondered about that! I've endured a Texas summer, and I've visited Vegas in July and life without AC is a definite no-go, lol.

I'll go on the city & state website to look and see how much registration, tags, etc are for the city. I know it's kinda high here for tags in Oklahoma. You guys answered the car question before I asked! This is a random question: how often do you guys have to get oil changes and change your tires because of the weather?

Old 08-17-2010, 01:42 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,573,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heygirlhey View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone! I really appreciate your time and honesty! I think Zappos is a pretty cool company from what I've read about them. They seem to be pretty good about promoting from within. I think if I moved, my sister would come with me and we'd have a two bedroom.

Oh, and good to know about the electric bill; I wondered about that! I've endured a Texas summer, and I've visited Vegas in July and life without AC is a definite no-go, lol.

I'll go on the city & state website to look and see how much registration, tags, etc are for the city. I know it's kinda high here for tags in Oklahoma. You guys answered the car question before I asked! This is a random question: how often do you guys have to get oil changes and change your tires because of the weather?

I do a lot of city driving which is hard on the oil so I typically find that I change it about every 2,500 miles. It is usually dark and thick by that time. I rotate my tires at every oil change. That drastically reduces wear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas