Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 07:08 PM

3 posts, read 15,898 times

Advertisements

I have been offered a teaching position in a school in this area. What can you tell me about the area? Any information is greatly appreciated. What kind of commute would I be looking at from the Summerlin area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 07:38 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfolmer View Post
I have been offered a teaching position in a school in this area. What can you tell me about the area? Any information is greatly appreciated. What kind of commute would I be looking at from the Summerlin area?
McCall? A Challenging assignment. Easy access to Summerlin. Less than half an hour even in bad traffic. Fifteen when things flow.

That however is not your best bet. Head north and west from there. Lots of nice neighborhoods and good schools. Fifteen minute commute. 20% less than Summerlin.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:45 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,683,662 times
Something along MLK and Craig probably would be a better commute...or something off of Hollywood...

Something you should know about the area of LVBN and Carey, nice shopping nearby, not so nice housing (many apartments) nearby...plenty of good restaurants in that area as well, especially if you like Mexican food, there's some good places at Eastern and Owens...and there's also the biggest and best swap meet near there as well...

Old 06-25-2007, 08:06 PM

818 posts, read 3,697,460 times
The area is older North Las Vegas. Even though I don't know what school this is, I'm pretty confident in saying that this is a lower income area and the school is probably one of the bottom performing schools in the city. You'll probably have a large transient population at the school and a pretty high number of non English speakers. The plus is that your school is most likely either an Edison Acadamy, a Title 1 school, or a Superintendent School, meaning more $$$ for programs and supplies. The commute from Summerlin should be pretty short, less than 20 minutes down Lake Mead or another E/W surface street. It's also a good chance for you to do some good for a lot of kids that don't have much going for them. Also you can transfer after a couple of years.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:17 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
Something along MLK and Craig probably would be a better commute...or something off of Hollywood...

Something you should know about the area of LVBN and Carey, nice shopping nearby, not so nice housing (many apartments) nearby...plenty of good restaurants in that area as well, especially if you like Mexican food, there's some good places at Eastern and Owens...and there's also the biggest and best swap meet near there as well...
Hollywood? You are kidding right Kid?

Old 06-25-2007, 11:43 PM

well, Hollywood isn't all that terrible...?

Old 06-26-2007, 12:46 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
Live as far away from that area as you can possibly get. Get a transfer now if you can. It's the Las Vegas Valley's equivalent of Watts. People getting shot over there all the time. Gang's run the area and violence occurs on a daily basis. I have a friend who taught in a school on Pecos which isn't far from there, and only slightly better neighborhood. She hated going to work and got transferred ASAP. That was before it got really bad. They say 89109 has the most crime but I don't think it's as bad as anywhere around Carey and Las Vegas Blvd. I don't know if they still call themselves the 5th Street gang over there, but whatever they are now they make the Mafia look like boy scouts. Hopefully you'll be safe during daylight hours but don't go there after dark.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:56 AM

nope, now they call themselves the Donna Street Crips...

Old 06-26-2007, 12:56 AM

Quote:
well, Hollywood isn't all that terrible...?
There are some nice homes on Frenchman's Mtn. but very few, and all surrounded by really rotten neighborhoods.

Now tell me, where are these nice restaurants near Carey & LV Blvd? I worked at LV Blvd and Van Der Meer, and on Foremaster Lane. The only places to eat in that area were on Lake Mead near Civic Center/Eastern Ave, and even then they were only tolerable for a quick lunch. The whole area has gotten much worse since I lived/worked around there.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:58 AM

Quote:
nope, now they call themselves the Donna Street Crips...
I think that's two different gangs. Maybe the Crips killed all the 5th street boys. We can only hope they all kill each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas