Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2010, 08:21 PM

33 posts, read 118,561 times

Advertisements

Hello Las Vegas members! I recently relocated to LV and am going to be building a modest single story in Tuscany Village off Lake Mead Pkwy. Even though they have a great community pool, I work from home, I'm single, and the backyard is very visible from the great room and master bedroom, so the backyard actually is a part of my interior design plan.

I've read just about every relevant thread concerning pools in LV on the forum, and I now am light years ahead of where I started as far as knowledge goes.

However, every time I learn something it seems to create more questions. Such is life. So please chime in on as many of the following topics as you have knowledge on:

- If you've had experiences with pool builders, who were they and how did it go? I belong to Angie's List and there's hardly anything to go on.

- Given the current state of the economy, should I expect to get a better deal?

- When is the best time of year to start construction in regards to total cost?

- Did you have them design your entire back yard (mine is about 28 feet deep and 55-60 feet wide) or just the pool and related features and handle the remaining areas yourself or use a landscaper? Pros and Cons of your decision?

- What type of pool did you have built, why did you make that decision, and are you glad or unhappy with that decision? And how old is the pool?

- Anything you can think of that is important to consider from deciding to build a pool through maintaining your existing pool.

Feel free to respond to as much or as few of the questions as you like, it's all greatly appreciated. And pictures of recently completed projects with cost might even get you a round of golf some day!

Thanks in advance! -Nick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 02:21 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,083,940 times
If I had it to do over, I would design the whole thing at once and get it all done at once. It's a huge dirty mess and it's best completed quickly. Also you will have the benefit of running all the irrigation/water/gas lines at the same time. I would also suggest solar heat, salt water, an electric cover, and the most efficient pumping/filtration system available.

I can recommend BND for plastering, they know what they are doing and have been in the business forever. I can't recommend my contractor. He wasn't bad but I do have some issues with what he built. I ended up with a firepit that's too short for most people and the lovely iridescent mosaic tile I paid extra for is coming off 1 tile at a time.... The rockwork he did was excellent and the solar works quite well. The travertine patio is beautiful as well. I spent about 40K on my backyard and I still have a lot of work to do. I didn't put in a new pool, all of this was renovating an old pool.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:43 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,250,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
If I had it to do over, I would design the whole thing at once and get it all done at once. It's a huge dirty mess and it's best completed quickly. Also you will have the benefit of running all the irrigation/water/gas lines at the same time. I would also suggest solar heat, salt water, an electric cover, and the most efficient pumping/filtration system available.

I can recommend BND for plastering, they know what they are doing and have been in the business forever. I can't recommend my contractor. He wasn't bad but I do have some issues with what he built. I ended up with a firepit that's too short for most people and the lovely iridescent mosaic tile I paid extra for is coming off 1 tile at a time.... The rockwork he did was excellent and the solar works quite well. The travertine patio is beautiful as well. I spent about 40K on my backyard and I still have a lot of work to do. I didn't put in a new pool, all of this was renovating an old pool.
It sounds stunning. Pics would be nice.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:50 PM

80 posts, read 151,581 times
I know this is not what you're asking about, but IF ONLY I had it to do over, I would NEVER ever put in a pool to begin with. Too bad they are not like boats.......your two happiest days.......when you get it and when you get rid of it.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:53 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,045,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmgirlok View Post
I know this is not what you're asking about, but IF ONLY I had it to do over, I would NEVER ever put in a pool to begin with. Too bad they are not like boats.......your two happiest days.......when you get it and when you get rid of it.
i'm assuming you don't live in Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas