Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 08:02 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,950,915 times

Advertisements

LOL! Yeah! I think this post should be at the top in NEON!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 08:08 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,214,257 times
I just view these threads with great curiousity.

Human beings are about 10,000 the size...you can squash it or capture it quickly.

But I guess this goes into the 'phobia' type of fears...many people have a fear about something or another, but I never personally understood the bug one

Old 06-14-2010, 08:16 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,473,733 times
Bugs, ha! Yes, we have bugs. This year is way worse then others, due to all the rain we had. We are actually booked a week out. I think I have like 3 openings for this week, and they will all be gone by tomorrow!

Old 06-14-2010, 08:24 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,950,915 times
Ick. I don't like hearing that although it sounds like it is good for you!!!

Old 06-14-2010, 09:08 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,473,733 times
Yes, but I feel bad that I can not fit people in quickly

Old 06-14-2010, 09:33 PM

30 posts, read 101,384 times
I just moved to vegas about 3 weeks ago from Alaska and I haven't many more bugs than you'd see there. I've seen about 3 spiders that were very tiny, not black windows or anything. Saw a few cockroaches and crickets outside one night creeping out of the bushes near the pool. Closest thing I've seen to my apartment is a cockroach looking bug landed near my door (not sure if the species of roaches here fly, but this thing was red and flew away when I kicked it). Luckily I live on the 3rd floor of a pretty decent apartment so I'm hoping this lack of bugs stays this way. Considering the largest spider I've seen here was 1/4 the size of a spider I saw in Alaska I'd say Vegas looks pretty promising in that aspect. I gotta say I couldn't be happier with these findings

Old 06-14-2010, 09:44 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,368,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantabeach View Post
I am wondering if due to the low/no humidity, if there are less bugs in Las Vegas than on the humid, more muggy east coast?

I say this because when I visited Las Vegas last October, I don't really recall seeing any at all. Also didn't see any when I visited my daughter in San Diego. No flies, mosquitoes or anything! Just curious.

Also, I seemed to have to use the restroom, if you will pardon me, more often. Thought maybe this may be due to drinking more in response to the climate and thus, "going" more. I apologize, but don't really know any other way to put it!

J
Oh come on people. There is so much misinformation here sometimes.

To answer your questions iwantabeach, Yes, you are entirely correct that having low humidity means less bugs here. Yes we have roaches, and yes you'll sometimes encounter a mosquito, but Florida and Texas are infested with roaches. Nevada just has some. And mosquitoes will carry you off in any damp climate like Florida, or even Minnesota, but Nevada only sees a few now and then. The most dangerous bug is the black widow spider. There are two native species of scorpions (out of, I believe, 1500 world wide), and they are not dangerous to man. Landscapers in the last 15 years imported another species, from bringing in trees cultivated in Arizona, that is about as dangerous as the black widow. There are no fleas in the desert, but there are some ticks. If there are fire ants I've never seen or heard of them. There are regular ants, but they aren't much of a problem. There has never been a Mormon cricket this far south in history that I have ever seen in my 46 years here, but even though they won't hurt you, they are icky up north in Elko County nearly 500 miles away as if anyone from southern Nevada can even find Elko on the map. Probably the worst situation is with Africanized Bees. Stay away from hives and swarms. Again...imports. But then the honey bee inself is an import to the U.S., it is not native to this country.

Almost everyone in Las Vegas has an exterminator service to keep from being inconvenienced by any bugs whatsoever, so unless you're messy you won't have very many. Like I said ...people like it here for all the conveniences we have that others don't.

Bottom line: Wherever you live now, I guarantee you have a zillion more bugs than we have.

And yes, if you drink more water here you'll P more, naturally. Just cut back on the water. You don't have to get carried away with it.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:45 PM

35 posts, read 89,874 times
Thanks guys! I just HATE bugs! I am two steps shy of falling into the "phobia" category! Can't help it, I just hate them! I am considering moving to retire to a couple of places, LV, Charleston and Cape Carteret area (my grandchildren are near there, but father in the Marines, so who knows for how long). Anyway, at least I know there are fewer bugs in Vegas, which I suspected anyway.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:52 PM

35 posts, read 89,874 times
Just read Buzz123's post. Yes, you will p more if you drink more water, but, someone there told me it had to do with being at a lower (or higher, can't remember) elevation. Is that true??

Old 06-14-2010, 10:44 PM
atr

26 posts, read 109,477 times
We just moved within the same zip (89134).

Our previous house had scorpions.

This new house (in gated community with mature landscaping or grass) has NO scorpions that I have seen, but has spiders.

Bulwark just came by last month, but them damned spiders are still there.

When we were at Mountain's Edge...there was everything! scorpions, ants, spiders, red necks, EVERYTHING!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas