Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 10:27 AM

2 posts, read 5,371 times

Advertisements

Hello- I am moving to Henderson in a few months. We have visited to look at housing, but are overwhelmed by the number of developments and sub-divisions.

We are looking for a realtor who really knows all of the areas and can advise us on what is a good investment for know and years to come.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 11:23 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,838,313 times
I sent you a DM.

Heads up Jim.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:17 PM

69 posts, read 237,582 times
i am buying a house (or trying to) and sent you a DM too

Old 06-10-2010, 03:40 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,075,236 times
I don't have a specific recommendation for you, but just as a piece of advice, I would recommend thinking about in advance if you will be looking at short sales or just REO and conventional properties. And if you are wanting to write offers on short sales, think about if you'll want to be writing just one or possibly writing multiple short sale offers (due to long waiting periods) and make sure whatever agent you're interviewing is OK with that.

I doubt if you're moving from out of state that you'll be looking at short sales, but just in case.

Also I recommend asking upfront what the brokers administrative commission (BAC) or document storage fees are going to be. You as a buyer will be paying this fee to your agent's broker in addition to the commission they are receiving from the seller. This was new to me since I don't remember being charged this last time I bought a house. Our agent charges $350, but I've heard as low as $175 and as high as $750.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:58 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,874,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post

Also I recommend asking upfront what the brokers administrative commission (BAC) or document storage fees are going to be. You as a buyer will be paying this fee to your agent's broker in addition to the commission they are receiving from the seller. This was new to me since I don't remember being charged this last time I bought a house. Our agent charges $350, but I've heard as low as $175 and as high as $750.
Wow. I've never heard of such a thing.

It sounds an awful lot like going to a car dealer & looking at a popular model and the dealer has added "Market Adjustment" or maybe "Additional Dealer Markup" -- that is, just extra profit.

Maybe this is a hold-over from the bubble days.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:07 AM

214 posts, read 650,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bound Gato View Post
Hello- I am moving to Henderson in a few months. We have visited to look at housing, but are overwhelmed by the number of developments and sub-divisions.

We are looking for a realtor who really knows all of the areas and can advise us on what is a good investment for know and years to come.

Thanks!
I used to have an active NV real estate license, but since most of my clients are looking in Orange County, CA that's where my focus is. My cousin's husband has can definitely help you out. Just like me, he is not your typical realtard. Let me know if you would like to get his contact information. Before you select an agent, speak with at least 3 agents and pick the one you are most comfortable working with.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Wow. I've never heard of such a thing.

It sounds an awful lot like going to a car dealer & looking at a popular model and the dealer has added "Market Adjustment" or maybe "Additional Dealer Markup" -- that is, just extra profit.

Maybe this is a hold-over from the bubble days.
I was surprised to see this too, but I did some research and bottom line is it's pretty much standard now as far as I can tell. The thing I don't like is you won't find out until you make an offer. Our offer had several pages discussing the BAC charges and how they aren't legally required to charge you that fee.

I've heard you can make your agent pay it out of his commission, but I didn't think it was worth throwing a fit over $350 in our case.

I just would want to know upfront if it is $200, $350, or more than that. More than $350 I would be complaining about.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:24 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,215,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
I was surprised to see this too, but I did some research and bottom line is it's pretty much standard now as far as I can tell. The thing I don't like is you won't find out until you make an offer. Our offer had several pages discussing the BAC charges and how they aren't legally required to charge you that fee.

I've heard you can make your agent pay it out of his commission, but I didn't think it was worth throwing a fit over $350 in our case.

I just would want to know upfront if it is $200, $350, or more than that. More than $350 I would be complaining about.
It is pretty well standard in the national outfits. Note that the agent can manipulate the charge and some do. So ask the agent if he gets any of the fee.

This fee remains somewhat controversial. It has been found an illegal fee in one Appeals Court. The argument is whether it is a pure junk fee or there is value provided. Been a lot of cutting and ducking about the nature of the fee over the last year. Basically trying to find words that will cover the legal need.

The rub is that it has become a survival matter in many of the larger RE brokerages. The more successful agents are mobile and negotiate good terms with the brokerage...and they do most of the business. Their arrangement may cover costs but not much more. Thus the entire profit to the brokerage comes from the admin fee. The only other really profitable segment for the brokerage are the desk fees from new comers who also pay relatively high cuts to the brokerage.

It is a strange world that we build.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:09 AM

4,041 posts, read 2,909,737 times
Default Henderson realtor

I've sent a DM to the OP recommending a realtor for their Henderson search. They handled a Henderson rental for me when I was out of state, and I now have an offer on an Anthem short sale in the hands of the bank.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
The rub is that it has become a survival matter in many of the larger RE brokerages. The more successful agents are mobile and negotiate good terms with the brokerage...and they do most of the business. Their arrangement may cover costs but not much more. Thus the entire profit to the brokerage comes from the admin fee. The only other really profitable segment for the brokerage are the desk fees from new comers who also pay relatively high cuts to the brokerage.
I understand that to be the case, but I find it ironic that the most successful agents who are also earning the most commission due to having the best split with their broker, cannot pony up the $350 in that case.

Overall I don't have a complaint with the charge since realtors have to do a lot of work upfront and there is no guarantee that their buyer will complete a deal with them.

I just wish the agents were more upfront about it since the charge can vary and you don't find out until you're ready to make an offer. I figure that the agents would be worried about losing clients if they were too upfront about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: