Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 09:58 PM

336 posts, read 577,704 times

Advertisements

Im a retired single female. I’m trying to find my forever town. It’s between LC and Santa Fe. I’d love to hear from anyone who has moved from Santa Fe to LC or the reverse. Why did you move? What do you like better? Any and all info you can give me will be greatly appreciated. I’ve been to Santa Fe many times but never to LC. I will be making my first trip there at the end of the month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 01:09 AM

44 posts, read 39,672 times
I like Las Cruces personally to live in and Santa Fe to visit.

Las Cruces has a major university, is near El Paso. And you can live there at two-thirds the cost of that in Santa Fe. Cloudcroft, Ruidoso and the mountains are just an hour away from Las Cruces. Santa Fe is the state capital, with its sophistication, and is in the middle of one of the most beautiful areas of the country.

Both cities have a significant retirement population.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:43 AM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times
Las Cruces is where I have my sights set on when I move to New Mexico. For retirement I had Albuquerque as 1st choice but than the constant crime woes of that city turned me away, plus its even colder in winter than where I am now. Which sucks!!

I do agree with JesseD than Santa Fe region is beautiful, I think the ABQ-Santa Fe region is among the best looking regions in the world minus lots of water.

A big plus of Las Cruces is how close it is to Mexico. Low cost dental work and medical care, prescription drugs, vision needs. Some of these things are not covered well or at all with Medicare care.

You can get a palace of a home in LC for 250k. Easy choice for me unless you can't stand Southern New Mexico hot summers.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:28 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,490,111 times
A big plus of Las Cruces is how close it is to Mexico. Low cost dental work and medical care, prescription drugs, vision needs. Some of these things are not covered well or at all with Medicare care.

I'm going to Juarez (Washington Dental Service) any Monday or Tuesday off of work now to go get 4 teeth extracted and a new lower partial denture. The cost ($400) for this service would be $1,500 at my dentist in Alamogordo here that I went in to a consultation at. I have gone to Washington Dental Service in 2014 for two sets of dentures and 5 extractions before. The cost for that was $800, but it would have been about $5,000 (estimated) at the dentist I was going to in Las Cruces back in 2014.

It is safe ta do - you call Washington Dental Service first to make an appointment with them. Then, the morning of the appointment drive west first over to Las Cruces on Highway 70, then link south towards El Paso on I-10. Get off the freeway at the Sunland Park Mall exit. Pull off in to Mall and park right behind the Olive Garden. Call Washington Dental Service to tell them you're there. They'll come pick you up to take you to the dentist in Juarez. You have to bring either a Passport, or, alternatively, your picture driver's license ID, and, your birth certificate. Make sure it's your stamped, county-ID birth certificate, though. With those 2 items you'll get into and out of Mexico for your dental appointment.

Yes, they speak English at the dentist, explain everything they're doing, and they do good work. I researched this back in 2014. American dentists are the best in the world. Mexican dentists are 2nd best (at least back in 2014). You'll get good, quality work done at a much, much, lower cost. It's a win-win for people living close to the border. Or, you can fly down to the El Paso Airport and head in to Mexico that way.

As far as I know, the border is still open, too.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:23 PM

I looked at Albuquerque as well. It’s too big and I did not feel safe there. A gangbanger nearly ran me off the road on the freeway. I love the size of LC and Santa Fe. I’m here now looking and so far I like what I see!

Old 04-09-2019, 08:32 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaz View Post
I looked at Albuquerque as well. It’s too big and I did not feel safe there. A gangbanger nearly ran me off the road on the freeway. I love the size of LC and Santa Fe. I’m here now looking and so far I like what I see!

So, a young male of color or Hispanic descent nearly ran you off the road?

BTW, thats probably just normal driving for New Mexico, because normal driving is pretty bad IMO. Depending in part on where you're from you may feel likewise or otherwise...

Old 04-09-2019, 11:21 PM

Why would you assume he’s Hispanic or of color? What a bizarre comment. Who cares what color he is? He was a crazy driver in a low rider beat up car who scared me to death driving close to 100 mph. He could have killed someone. BTW, I’m from Phoenix. Where are you from?

Old 04-10-2019, 08:14 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
Im a retired single female. I’m trying to find my forever town. It’s between LC and Santa Fe. I’d love to hear from anyone who has moved from Santa Fe to LC or the reverse. Why did you move? What do you like better? Any and all info you can give me will be greatly appreciated. I’ve been to Santa Fe many times but never to LC. I will be making my first trip there at the end of the month.
Quote:
Being "nearly ran me off the road on the freeway" can almost happen anywhere...

My wife and I have lived in Rio Rancho now 20 years... She was originally employed in the area, we both eventually retired. It is adjacent to Albuquerque with plenty of shopping and medical facilities. A one hour drive or train ride to Santa Fe. We go to or through Las Cruces on occasion and is a good place to consider retirement. We just have too much family in this area.

A trip to the area Santa Fe, Albuquerque and Las Cruces would be in order...

It is a 4+ hour drive from Santa Fe to Las Cruces....
A 1 hour drive from Albuquerque to Santa Fe.

Good luck to you on your visits!

Old 04-10-2019, 05:03 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Why would you assume he’s Hispanic or of color? What a bizarre comment.

What's bizarre is your calling him a gangbanger.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,878 times
I lived in Cleveland most of my life and retired and moved to NE Abq last April. Rent for a 1 BR 750 sq ft apt is about 850. This is a great part of town to live, the mountains and many hiking trails are close by and I feel pretty safe in this part of town. If you enjoy craft beer, this is the place to be. But with rent going up every year, if I could afford a home in this part of town I'd stay even though the traffic can be a ***** at times.

Santa Fe is a beautiful town although very touristy but it was quite a bit colder with a lot more snow and I can be there in less than an hour. I remember reading somewhere once that they get more snow than Connecticut. The chilly weather sets in in October and sticks around into April if that's your cup of tea. That goes for anywhere north of here. Even Abq was too chilly for me even though there were plenty of 50s temps this past winter, something I rarely ever saw in Cle.

So I looked southward but wasn't impressed with Las Cruces although there are plenty of nice areas there tho I didn't spend enough time there to adequately scrutinize. Finally I found a lovely home in Deming in a very nice 55+ development. I like the fact that the Gila Wilderness and Silver City is about an hour away, Cruces is less than an hour and El Paso is about 90 miles. Give me a year here and I'll tell you how well I like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces