Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 12:42 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times

Advertisements

Right now in Las Cruces we are selling at about $90 a square foot on average, new construction is about $130 a square foot north of US 70 near Metro Verde. Santa Fe will be about 40 percent higher, unless you are south near the Turquoise Trail where I hear it is somewhat more affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 10:26 AM

76 posts, read 54,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaz View Post
Im a retired single female. I’m trying to find my forever town. It’s between LC and Santa Fe. I’d love to hear from anyone who has moved from Santa Fe to LC or the reverse. Why did you move? What do you like better? Any and all info you can give me will be greatly appreciated. I’ve been to Santa Fe many times but never to LC. I will be making my first trip there at the end of the month.
Hi, Suaz! I'm in a similar situation (I'm 53, semi-retired, single, and looking for my forever home) and had been considering Santa Fe, Las Cruces, Albuquerque, and Rio Rancho for quite awhile. I eventually decided that Albuquerque is too big and has a little too much crime for my tastes, Santa Fe is too touristy and expensive, and Rio Rancho just doesn't call to me for whatever reason, so I've decided on Las Cruces. It seems like the perfect fit for me! I'm actually arriving on the 22nd to look for a new house, and I'm really excited! I wish you luck on finding the right place for you!

Old 04-16-2019, 09:34 AM

336 posts, read 578,319 times
Thanks everyone for responding. I did like Las Cruces a lot but I’ve been going to SF for years and love all the arts, galleries, shows, and Meetup groups. I am now under contract for a townhome to be built in Santa Fe. It was a hard decision. I saw a beautiful area in Las Cruces that I loved but I decided SF was a better fit and I know it a lot better. After living in Phoenix for a long time, I will welcome the cooler temperatures. Joy444, please let me know how it’s going after you’ve been in LC a while. I would love to hear from you!

Old 04-17-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suaz View Post
Thanks everyone for responding. I did like Las Cruces a lot but I’ve been going to SF for years and love all the arts, galleries, shows, and Meetup groups. I am now under contract for a townhome to be built in Santa Fe. It was a hard decision. I saw a beautiful area in Las Cruces that I loved but I decided SF was a better fit and I know it a lot better. After living in Phoenix for a long time, I will welcome the cooler temperatures. Joy444, please let me know how it’s going after you’ve been in LC a while. I would love to hear from you!
That sounds exciting, suaz! I'm happy for you! It sounds like you've made the perfect choice for yourself! When I first started thinking about moving back to NM, I really thought I was going to move to Santa Fe. I lived up in Los Alamos many years ago, so I was already pretty familiar with Santa Fe, but over time, I realized that Santa Fe probably wouldn't be the best choice for me. I've tried to keep an open mind throughout this process, but there's just something about Las Cruces that's calling to me and won't leave me alone. It's almost like I don't have a choice anymore! LOL

Old 04-17-2019, 08:13 PM

336 posts, read 578,319 times
Joy444, I’m going to send you a pm!

Old 05-26-2019, 01:54 PM

8 posts, read 7,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy444 View Post
That sounds exciting, suaz! I'm happy for you! It sounds like you've made the perfect choice for yourself! When I first started thinking about moving back to NM, I really thought I was going to move to Santa Fe. I lived up in Los Alamos many years ago, so I was already pretty familiar with Santa Fe, but over time, I realized that Santa Fe probably wouldn't be the best choice for me. I've tried to keep an open mind throughout this process, but there's just something about Las Cruces that's calling to me and won't leave me alone. It's almost like I don't have a choice anymore! LOL

Looking forward to your updates. My wife & I are thinking strongly about retiring to Las Cruces & we like reading posts from folks in a similar situation to us. We live in Southern Orange County, California & the horrendous traffic, cost of living, most peoples horrible attitudes, etc, has made us realize that we don't want to retire here. I'm taking a trip (my first) to LC in September to check out the area, but we've mostly heard good things about LC & I'm looking forward to seeing the city first hand

Old 05-26-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexbrit View Post
Looking forward to your updates. My wife & I are thinking strongly about retiring to Las Cruces & we like reading posts from folks in a similar situation to us. We live in Southern Orange County, California & the horrendous traffic, cost of living, most peoples horrible attitudes, etc, has made us realize that we don't want to retire here. I'm taking a trip (my first) to LC in September to check out the area, but we've mostly heard good things about LC & I'm looking forward to seeing the city first hand
I'm sure I'll update once I get settled there. I currently have a house under contract, and I'll be moving there in 3 weeks. When I went down to Las Cruces last month to look for a house, I wasn't at all disappointed. I have absolutely no reservations about moving there. As far as traffic is concerned, I currently live in a city that has less than half the population of Las Cruces, and the traffic here is so much worse than in Las Cruces. I'm sure it'll be a HUGE change for you, coming from CA. Cost of living will also be a lot cheaper. There are so many beautiful homes in every price range in Las Cruces! All of the people I came into contact with while I was there were very friendly and welcoming, too. It's also nice that whatever Las Cruces doesn't have can probably be found in El Paso which is only 45 minutes away. I know Las Cruces wouldn't be for everyone, but it seems perfect for me. Good luck in your search for your perfect place for retirement, whether it's in Las Cruces or elsewhere!

Old 05-26-2019, 03:44 PM

5 posts, read 5,312 times
I think Santa Fe would be considerably more expensive to purchase a house and live in than Las Cruces. However, it probably does have more culture overall.

I can't speak for Santa Fe, but living here *(in Las Cruces) for the last few years I have to say the nicest folks ever live out here in Las Cruces. That is what made me decide to buy a house here. ;-)

Old 05-26-2019, 07:41 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0ldheart View Post
I think Santa Fe would be considerably more expensive to purchase a house and live in than Las Cruces. However, it probably does have more culture overall.

I can't speak for Santa Fe, but living here *(in Las Cruces) for the last few years I have to say the nicest folks ever live out here in Las Cruces. That is what made me decide to buy a house here. ;-)
Las Cruces Home Prices & Values
Zillow Home Value Index
$172,800
https://www.zillow.com/las-cruces-nm/home-values/

Santa Fe Home Prices & Values
Zillow Home Value Index
$390,300
https://www.zillow.com/santa-fe-nm/home-values/

Old 05-27-2019, 02:33 PM

8 posts, read 7,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy444 View Post
I'm sure I'll update once I get settled there. I currently have a house under contract, and I'll be moving there in 3 weeks. When I went down to Las Cruces last month to look for a house, I wasn't at all disappointed. I have absolutely no reservations about moving there. As far as traffic is concerned, I currently live in a city that has less than half the population of Las Cruces, and the traffic here is so much worse than in Las Cruces. I'm sure it'll be a HUGE change for you, coming from CA. Cost of living will also be a lot cheaper. There are so many beautiful homes in every price range in Las Cruces! All of the people I came into contact with while I was there were very friendly and welcoming, too. It's also nice that whatever Las Cruces doesn't have can probably be found in El Paso which is only 45 minutes away. I know Las Cruces wouldn't be for everyone, but it seems perfect for me. Good luck in your search for your perfect place for retirement, whether it's in Las Cruces or elsewhere!

The traffic here in South Orange County is just horrendous so I'm sure any "traffic" in Las Cruces will be nothing compared to this

Good luck with your move, keep us posted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces