Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,965 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'd like to move near White Sands just for its mystical and spiritual qualities. I've never been in the area, I am in Ohio, but know I'd enjoy this part of NM and the surrounding area at least for a while.

Which is closer to the White Sands park, Las Cruces or Alamogordo?

Also, I am not really specialized in any job, so I am worried about getting a job if I move to either city. Craigslist looks rather dismal for both Las Cruces and Alamogordo, a lot of $8/hr. jobs, which is worse than here in Cincinnati, which I expect is also a bit cheaper to live in than in NM!

Any ideas or suggestions on where to look for a job once I'd get out there? For instance, I could start gaining experience in the area before moving, etc.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 11:57 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
I've never been in the area, I am in Ohio, but know I'd enjoy this part of NM and the surrounding area at least for a while. Maybe, maybe not. I would recommend you come out for a visit.

Which is closer to the White Sands park, Las Cruces or Alamogordo? - Alamogordo

jobs, which is worse than here in Cincinnati, which I expect is also a bit cheaper to live in than in NM!- Maybe, maybe not.

Jan. 2011 cost of living index in Alamogordo: 83.7 (less than average, U.S. average is 100)
Read more: https://www.city-data.com/city/Alamogordo-New-Mexico.html#ixzz1o56ZwIXQ

Jan. 2011 cost of living index in Cincinnati: 89.8 (less than average, U.S. average is 100)
Read more: https://www.city-data.com/city/Cincinnati-Ohio.html#ixzz1o56fMAcW

Old 03-06-2012, 03:28 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,308,236 times
Highly suggest you come visit White Sands for a week in late July-early Aug to see if it's one of those place that's great to visit from time to time, but you probably wouldn't want to live there.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:53 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,280,738 times
The closest you could come to living there is Alamogordo. White Sands is a National Monument surrounded by military reservations so you're not going to live there. Alamogordo is about the least spiritual place I can think of. La Luz would be the closest community that has a vibe. Google up the La Luz lights (redundant as that search is).

Old 03-07-2012, 10:02 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,201,191 times
I wasn't aware that there was anything mystical or spiritual about White Sands.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:50 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
I wasn't aware that there was anything mystical or spiritual about White Sands.

White Sands was mystical and/or spiritual to me a few times...

Rich

Old 03-07-2012, 05:50 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,201,191 times
I don't get what would be mystical or spiritual about it, that's all.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:27 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,169,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
I don't get what would be mystical or spiritual about it, that's all.
You need to visit during one of the times when the gates are open for "Full Moon Nights." Then come back here and tell us your reaction.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:26 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,280,738 times
I'll correct my previous post thanks to a pm from Joey Saint, the Google doesn't really come up with much.

To the best of my recollection: the name La Luz came, as you would expect, from a group of Spanish travelers going up the Tularosa Basin for whatever reason. They had been subject to the alkaline water and they and their livestock were in bad shape. When they got to the area of La Luz canyon they saw what appeared to be a floating light, like a lamp, leading them into the canyon and an abundance of fresh water. Since then there have been many reports of people seeing an unexplained floating light in the area.

I just assumed others had heard of it (no?) and I'm surprised at the lack of material on the web about it. Not sure where I first heard of it, but if you asked locals of La Luz, Tulie or Alamo, I think it's pretty common knowledge. Then again, maybe I had my leg pulled long ago only to feel it today.

I see it's mentioned here but don't know in what context: Spirits of the Border: The History and Mystery of New Mexico (on Amazon)

Old 03-09-2012, 08:40 AM

131 posts, read 447,278 times
Thanks TKO, even if it's just a tale, it's a pleasant one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces