Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 10:37 AM

43 posts, read 159,759 times

Advertisements

My husband and I would very much like to move close to the Smokies, preferably in TN. We've not seen much of the state and surrounding cities beyond Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, but aside from the delicious Old Mill, those kinds of towns are NOT for us.

We're moving from SW Michigan, which is fairly inexpensive but we always drive to the main city just over the line, South Bend IN, for all of our needs (groceries, restaurants, buying goods, etc.) and work in IN, so I suppose that really we spend all of our $$ and pay taxes in IN.

Ideally, we'd like to find a little house/cabin on an acre or two for rent, otherwise we'll just be renting an apartment. We're not into socializing, drinking/clubbing, things like that. We want to move closer to nature so we can hike and explore at our leisure. No kids yet so not concerned about schools.

I wouldn't mind living near Knoxville. My biggest concern is that I can get to work now in 20 minutes flat and groceries are about 10 minutes away, even in the 2 foot snow that we have now. I really wouldn't care for a long commute or drive just to get the basics of living. At the same time I'd love to live close enough that I could ride my bicycle often to get things I need, or even to work if the day were nice.

Not terribly concerned about crime - I watch my back and don't have nice things or a nice car. Don't care about race or religion either.

What suggestions would you all have for me? I understand that it's very much to each his own, but I'd love a few starting points .

Thank you all so much, and have a great weekend!

EDIT: What do you all think of Sevierville? Not exactly picturesque (from what I've seen) but it's close enough to the Smokies . . . .

Last edited by Chancelynn2002; 01-08-2010 at 11:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 10:47 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,981,779 times
Maryville, Friendsville.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:18 AM

7,539 posts, read 17,226,479 times
Really depends on where you're working. I agree that you'll be happier South and/or East of Knoxville. Many places in Cocke County might fit well enough. Blount County is also nice, but parts are growing swiftly.

I would avoid living in Sevierville. The traffic is insane and "growing swiftly." There are other good places in Sevier County - Seymour, which is close to Knoxville, and Walland/Townsend which are closer to Maryville. Also check out Rockford (which I think is in Blount...).

Old 01-08-2010, 12:20 PM

Default Thanks everyone

So what about Maryville?

I like the look of old-fashioned towns - you know 2-3 story brick buildings that once housed dentists, butchers, grocers, barbers, etc. Attractive lamposts, boardwalks, all of that. Would Maryville fit this ideal? The City of Maryville website does not seem to have any information regarding newcomers or potential citizens.

Last edited by Beretta; 01-08-2010 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: competitors to CD not allowed

Old 01-08-2010, 03:33 PM

623 posts, read 1,542,186 times
Pretty much anywhere south of Halls in Knox County, including east and west Knoxville, is an hour from Townsend (imo the best entrance to the GSMNP). So basically anywhere but extreme north Knox County.

Maryville has a somewhat quaint downtown, but there's no reason for the average resident to regularly go down there minus a few restaurants, a coffee shop, some banks, a bar, and Ruby Tuesday's corporate headquarters. Tomato Head and Sullivan's, I will say though are very good imo.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:31 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,779,375 times
You can get from Maryville to many parts of Knoxville, especially west Knoxville, in 20 mins. Louisville and Rockford are nice nearby more rural areas.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:22 AM

Okay then - how about opinions on Newport, Greeneville, mid-sized towns like that?

Old 01-11-2010, 01:37 PM

7,539 posts, read 17,226,479 times
Newport is blah. Very far behind other east TN towns economically, politically, developmentally. Greeneville is nice, Greene County has a very low tax burden and Greeneville and east Greene Co. are close to Johnson City for jobs.

Are you going to need a job? That's what you've gotta find first. Newport is an hour and a half drive to the Tri-Cities, and Greeneville is the same from Knoxville.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:59 AM

Default Jobs

Absolutely. My husband is a musician and has carpentry skills. I would ideally like to get back into the veterinary field, but have vast experience in retail and some in journalism and publishing as well. From what I can gather from job search engines, there are minor cashiering positions and not much else, certainly not enough to live on.

I'm guessing that Knoxville would have the most job saturation?

Old 01-12-2010, 11:59 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancelynn2002;12412232[FONT=Book Antiqua
I'm guessing that Knoxville would have the most job saturation? [/font]
Correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville