Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 03:55 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiofisherman View Post
LOL Dave, think I read one of her posts, some natives are restless?

Actually one of the homes I like is in Maynardville, 157 Timber Ridge or something like that?

Tall fences make good neighbors? I try not to bother mine here. Peace out!
Well, that property is quite aways out. It looks like it is fairly close to the highway but it would actually take you at least a hour to get to I-75. That's fine, if that is what you want, but you are getting away from Knoxville (which is fine, too) and very far from the highway.

Once again, that is fine, but it isn't what you asked for.

I still say something like Powell would put you close to the highway, but be close to Knoxville, too. And there are plenty of lots that are flat, or flat enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 01:54 AM

186 posts, read 486,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Well, that property is quite aways out. It looks like it is fairly close to the highway but it would actually take you at least a hour to get to I-75. That's fine, if that is what you want, but you are getting away from Knoxville (which is fine, too) and very far from the highway.

Once again, that is fine, but it isn't what you asked for.

I still say something like Powell would put you close to the highway, but be close to Knoxville, too. And there are plenty of lots that are flat, or flat enough.
Did anyone here know that you can have a Powell address, and not live in Powell? My property is nowhere near Powell, yet it is a Powell address. If anything, it's actually closer to Halls. The guy that sold me the lot said its because the post office located in Powell services that area.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:03 AM

That's interesting! Powell also goes further down Emory Road than some people think. I know that Knox Garden thinks that St. Mary's is in Halls!

Just kidding!

But I don't doubt that you have a Powell mailing address, but live in Halls, Dave. It's all good.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:05 PM

186 posts, read 486,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
That's interesting! Powell also goes further down Emory Road than some people think. I know that Knox Garden thinks that St. Mary's is in Halls!

Just kidding!

But I don't doubt that you have a Powell mailing address, but live in Halls, Dave. It's all good.
Does Powell stretch to the east side of 75?

Old 10-01-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1961 View Post
Does Powell stretch to the east side of 75?
It sure does!

If you zoom in on I-75 at Emory, it says Powell just to the east of the highway. Businesses to the east of the highway advertise that they are in Powell, including the new St. Mary's Hospital.

http://www.kgis.org/KnoxNetwhere/viewer.asp

http://mercy.com/show_facility.asp?facility_id=680

Last edited by hiknapster; 10-01-2009 at 10:00 PM..

Old 10-02-2009, 05:50 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,598,384 times
I keep thinking about how the OP asked about sidewalks and they are so rare except in the inner city. Except maybe they are baing built in the newer subdivisions???

Do you need to have a sidewalk connection to the stores?

Old 10-02-2009, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I keep thinking about how the OP asked about sidewalks and they are so rare except in the inner city. Except maybe they are baing built in the newer subdivisions???

Do you need to have a sidewalk connection to the stores?
I didn't notice that. Yep. Sidewalks are very rare. We have ONE in my neighborhood and it is an oddity.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:02 AM

35 posts, read 143,341 times
creeksitter, OP would be original poster? That would be me! LOL, the joys of handicapped living? Pretty rural where I am at now, a small township. A traffic circle a mile away with a gas station convenience store, and a mom and pop tiny grocery store.

My street is no problem, only 20 cars a day outside of residents going to work and home, people running into the nearest bigger city for shopping, ect.

55 mph on my side road though, homes are 200 feet apart at least,by zoning. No problem to hop on my electric scooter, and run over to a neighbors a few doors down.

Going to the circle on the scooter a bit more of a problem, my street ends at a busy state 2 lane highway,also 55 mph, and the townships sidewalks end 1/4 of a mile up the highway. I don`t drive the scooter on the highway.

I do drive, the mile to the circle is no problem, yet. Multiple Sclerosis is a progressive disease, so I am trying to plan ahead to the time when the scooter or electric wheelchair may be my only option?

Like mentioned, our township has sidewalks, LOL right in downtown? if you can call it that, maybe 1/3 a mile in each direction.

Just shopping in general is tough, if they don`t have electric carts I usually don`t shop there.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:37 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,598,384 times
There is A LOT of shopping at Callahan drive & Clinton Highway. New sidewalks have been built along Callahan. I am trying to remember there may be a small subdivision right off callahan behind Lowes, maybe someone who lives that way can comment. Mostly commercial. May be too busy. I would be scared to navigate it in a scooter.

Have you looked into Norris? It has that small town atmosphere with asphalt sidewalks.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:01 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,664,860 times
Knoxville isn't big on sidewalks but we do have a great system of greenways -- paved trails, handicap accessible, that link neighborhoods to shopping, parks, activities, farmers markets, etc. The greenways run along the river, streams, parks, etc.
City of Knoxville - Greenways
They're working on getting all the greenways connected so that you could travel quite a few miles on them.
The one in Bearden/Sutherland is part of the first Mega greenway. If you live near there, you can just about anywhere, from shopping and restaurants on Kingston Pike to UT, the river, downtown, etc.
http://www.cityofknoxville.org/greenways/MegaGwy.pdf
KAT - Knox Area Transportation -- has routes that connect to greenways and also provides buses with wheelchair lifts.
KAT Special Services - The Lift
If you plan with those in mind, you can keep your mobility a lot longer.
Most regular buses are kneeling buses and if you're on Medicare, you ride free.

Last edited by knoxgarden; 10-03-2009 at 12:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville