Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 10:34 PM

7,070 posts, read 6,338,145 times

Advertisements

I am planning on visiting this spring & my heart, for some reason, has decided on Knoxville. I do want to know how senior friendly Knoxville is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 04:18 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,466,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I am planning on visiting this spring & my heart, for some reason, has decided on Knoxville. I do want to know how senior friendly Knoxville is.
Depends on what you mean by friendly. Knoxville and the whole area is friendly and seniors are no exception. Lots to do down town and Market Square is a nice place to visit. How long will you be here?

Old 07-26-2015, 04:12 PM

I haven't decided yet. So much is dependent on this next winter. If I survive okay, then it will be for a week. If the winter is horrendous, it will be for a couple weeks while I investigate the city.

What I mean by friendly is that I use either a cane or walker. Yes, I drive but once I park the car, how easy is it to get around?

Old 07-26-2015, 07:37 PM

132 posts, read 192,284 times
Quote:
What I mean by friendly is that I use either a cane or walker. Yes, I drive but once I park the car, how easy is it to get around?
Knoxville has plenty of sidewalks... they are not all flat and level since East Tennessee does have hills! The city does seem to litterally go down hill toward the river... A good bit of the immediate downtown is pretty good and there are plenty of parking garages that have good access.

There are buses, taxis, and other modes of travel. Look at the city's website:

Traffic & Transit - City of Knoxville

and also look at links to maps to get a better feel for what is where. It really depends what you wish to do there...

Still, taking the time to visit is best.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:56 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,838,739 times
It's not Florida. Florida is senior heaven....communities and activities abound, and the land is flat. Depending on the city you're in, there could be more to do at any given time than here. If I was over 70 years old one reason I would not want to live here is the roads. Too windy and dark with no shoulders. You can't always stick to the main roads. Outside of the city of Knoxville, road infrastructure doesn't seem to be a big priority.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:42 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 10 days ago)

16,101 posts, read 21,246,216 times
I think OP is more concerned with how frequently s/he will encounter ramps, stairs, or fairly steep inclines once they park the car, step off the bus or whatever.
I only visit certain areas when I go to see my son so I only have a vague idea of how it might seem to someone else, but it seems to me that 'most' of the downtown touristy type areas are pretty flat, as are the majority of shopping centers, restaurants, etc that I've been too. OTOH some of the apartment complexes he's been in, wow, pretty steep inclines just from the parking areas to the front doors!

OP maybe if you give examples of some of the places you'd like to visit people can give you a better idea of how challenging they might be for someone with mobility issues.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:52 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,394,243 times
I think that Florida is fine if you stay inside of the retirement areas, such as The Villages. But it is also not known for sidewalks and walking - or biking! - along the roads is literally taking your life into your own hands. Scary!

Old 07-27-2015, 11:19 PM

Dubble, I'm mainly thinking of shopping, coffee shops, garage sailing & the like.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:51 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,838,739 times
Guess it depends on which part of FL, I saw bike lanes everywhere. Plenty of shopping and garage sales here, but not many coffee shops. Yes there's a thousand places you can get coffee in the morning, but there are minimal actual "coffee shops" open in the evenings that are not full-fledged restaurants. I like places that only sell coffee and desserts...open til 9 pm at least....you would have to live near downtown for that and as someone said it's VERY hilly.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:24 AM

132 posts, read 192,284 times
Quote:
Dubble, I'm mainly thinking of shopping, coffee shops, garage sailing & the like.
Looking at that, you shouldn't have real problems getting around...

"Shopping" would not be a problem. Of course, not every store is at the malls. The city of Knoxville is not just by the river and actually has plenty of shopping further out with their own parking lots and good access.

Garage sales you can usually park close by anyway and you can always choose not to partake of those "hill climb" locations in some areas.

"Coffee shops" sound neat but I would bet it could be a small diner or more casual bar establishment to fill this one... Market Square seems to have a few places that people sit outside chatting with their cup of choice, but there are other places that could fill your niche.

So, bet that winter will happen where you live now and plan on your visit! Invite a friend and I bet they will enjoy the milder winter we have here as well. We came down to visit in Jan from Syracuse, NY and loved the change! We moved last Feb (2014) and kept one snow shovel, but haven't used it... except as a dustpan in the garage!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: